Recent Space Discoveries

Dandan

Medic
Reaction score
Moon Packed with Precious Titanium, NASA Probe Find

A new map of the moon has uncovered a trove of areas rich in precious titanium ore, with some lunar rocks harboring 10 times as much of the stuff as rocks here on Earth do.

The map, which combined observations in visible and ultraviolet wavelengths, revealed the valuable titanium deposits. These findings could shed light on some of the mysteries of the lunar interior, and could also lay the groundwork for future mining on the moon, researchers said.

"Looking up at the moon, its surface appears painted with shades of grey — at least to the human eye," Mark Robinson, of Arizona State University, said in a statement. "The maria appear reddish in some places and blue in others. Although subtle, these color variations tell us important things about the chemistry and evolution of the lunar surface. They indicate the titanium and iron abundance, as well as the maturity of a lunar soil."
http://www.space.com/13247-moon-map-lunar-titanium.html

Scientists Discover Ozone Layer On Venus

A European spacecraft has discovered an ozone layer high in the sweltering atmosphere of Venus, a new study reveals.

The discovery will help astronomers better understand the composition of Venus' murky atmosphere, and by comparing it to the atmospheres of Earth and Mars, the findings could even help shape the search for life on other planets, the researchers said.

The European Space Agency's Venus Express spacecraft detected ozone, which is a molecule containing three oxygen atoms, while gazing at stars that can be seen at the very edge of the planet through its atmosphere.
http://www.space.com/13244-venus-atmosphere-ozone-layer.html

New Map of Saturn Moon Titan Reveals Surprisingly Earth-Like Features​
After meticulously stitching together images that were gathered over six years by a NASA spacecraft in orbit around Saturn, astronomers have created a global map of the surface of Titan, the ringed planet's largest moon, and it features some surprisingly Earth-like geological features.

An international team of astronomers, led by the University of Nantes in France, created the striking mosaic of Titan's surface using infrared images taken by the Visual and Infrared Mapping Spectrometer (VIMS) aboard NASA's Cassini spacecraft.
http://www.space.com/13246-saturn-moon-titan-global-map-surface.html

This is all amazing news. I really hope something awesome can be found on Titan. As far as the ozone around Venus this may change our viewpoint on planet hunting in the future. And mining the moon may also help and hurt us depending on if we treat it like a place to exploit or a place to explore.

I'm not too excited about the moon, as it's just too unfeasible to mine it.

Saturn's moons are really interesting though. Maybe not so much Titan, but I wish we had money to send something to Enceladus, as it's our best chance of finding extraterrestrial life.

have they found any cthonian ruins on titan yet?

(cookie to anyone who gets the reference)

Sometimes I feel we are being watched by ET's and they don't know if bacteria/aliens exist here. Maybe they even have trouble to get to Earth like we do for space travel.

Sometimes I feel we are being watched by ET's and they don't know if bacteria/aliens exist here. Maybe they even have trouble to get to Earth like we do for space travel.

Always wondered that too.

I was watching Apollo 18 the other night and while I obviously don't believe the contents of the movie it still isn't far fetched at all that we most likely have discovered some crazy things out in space that they wouldn't dare tell the public.

Yes, NASA wouldn't dare make public the discovery of "crazy things" in space. It's not like they need public support and more funding or anything.

Yes, NASA wouldn't dare make public the discovery of "crazy things" in space. It's not like they need public support and more funding or anything.

lol uh so you think the governement has nothing to do with NASA? NASA themselves wouldn't be the ones to make the final say on something that the government would think is a threat.

So can we steal some of Venus' ozone to patch up our holes?

Also lol at you guys and "why haven't we discovered aliens yet". Do you have any idea how little of the universe we have seen?

So can we steal some of Venus' ozone to patch up our holes?

Also lol at you guys and "why haven't we discovered aliens yet". Do you have any idea how little of the universe we have seen?
We aren't saying that there isn't any aliens. We are saying that they have a theory something exists here, they just don't have the capabilities of confirming that yet.

NASA themselves wouldn't be the ones to make the final say on something that the government would think is a threat.

A threat to what exactly? If anything, making the discovery of hostile aliens (or something like that) public would be in their best interest. It would give the government popular support to pump even more money in the military industrial complex, and go forward with drastic countermeasures, like space based weaponry (which currently would break international treaties BTW).

Just out of curiosity, what kind of "crazy things" discovered in space do you think they would want to hide?

A threat to what exactly? If anything, making the discovery of hostile aliens (or something like that) public would be in their best interest. It would give the government popular support to pump even more money in the military industrial complex, and go forward with drastic countermeasures, like space based weaponry (which currently would break international treaties BTW).

Just out of curiosity, what kind of "crazy things" discovered in space do you think they would want to hide?
Yeah right. If the government discovered evidence of a hostile, advanced alien civilization, it would be in their best interests to cover that shit up and pray to every deity under the sun that said aliens never come knocking. If we encountered a hostile species that was advanced enough to actually get to Earth, we'd be powerless to resist them. It would be like the Vogons in the beginning of the Hitchhiker's Guide...

Also, like riomhaire said, we have observed roughly 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the existing universe (go ahead and add another hundred zeroes in there or so) so the likelihood that our government has discovered anything related to alien life is still tiny.

Do you really think that? That's hilarious. First of all, think about how much BS the government has already hidden from its people already. Let me refer to wikileaks. Do you honestly believe that they'd tell us if they discovered any evidence of hostile aliens or signs of it until they're absolutely sure there is no threat?

Perhaps they found some sort of abundance of some rare element somewhere and want it to keep it hush hush so that no private organisations get it first. Do you not understand that the government and the rich control everything on this planet? I thought it was common knowledge lol.

If you still don't believe me...look at this guy:

http://www.burzynskiclinic.com/

He developed a way to defeat most types of cancers - but the pharmaceutical companies and the government worked together to try and shut him down because they'd lose all their business and money.

ANWAY...

I'm not saying these things already happened or WILL happen but it's a very real possibility that they might be keeping some things under wraps for either the "safety" of earth or for their own greedyness.

And no i'm not a tin-foil hat crazy conspiracy theorist...it's just the way things are.

Yeah right. If the government discovered evidence of a hostile, advanced alien civilization, it would be in their best interests to cover that shit up and pray to every deity under the sun that said aliens never come knocking. If we encountered a hostile species that was advanced enough to actually get to Earth, we'd be powerless to resist them. It would be like the Vogons in the beginning of the Hitchhiker's Guide

This comes down to that cancer anecdote. If you had cancer would you like to know and fight back in any way that you can (even if it proved to be futile), or die in "blissful" ignorance.
The argument that they would keep a situation like this a secret, out of fear that the fabric of civilisation would dissolve under a flood of mass hysteria, is quite frankly insulting to the extreme.
However something like this is so highly unlikely I don't think it's even worth worrying about it.

Do you honestly believe that they'd tell us if they discovered any evidence of hostile aliens or signs of it until they're absolutely sure there is no threat?

Yes, I do.

Perhaps they found some sort of abundance of some rare element somewhere and want it to keep it hush hush so that no private organisations get it first.

I concede that something like that is a possibility. However I read an article recently that states that they've found titanium on the Moon. This kind of goes against that idea.

And no i'm not a tin-foil hat crazy conspiracy theorist...it's just the way things are.

Well...

If you still don't believe me...look at this guy:

http://www.burzynskiclinic.com/

He developed a way to defeat most types of cancers - but the pharmaceutical companies and the government worked together to try and shut him down because they'd lose all their business and money.

No offence, but you sure sound like one.

It's the old "oh no the entire scientific community is against me, and trying to discredit me" nonsense.
It's possible that labs and researchers in the US working for "Big Pharma" or the FDA would do something like this out of greed or whatever. However independent labs from multiple places in the world have conducted studies to verify Burzinski's findings, and his results can not be duplicated (sounds a lot like all that cold fusion nonsense). Also patients undergoing his therapy have not shown conclusive signs of getting better.

It's the old "oh no the entire scientific community is against me, and trying to discredit me" nonsense.
It's possible that labs and researchers in the US working for "Big Pharma" or the FDA would do something like this out of greed or whatever. However independent labs from multiple places in the world have conducted studies to verify Burzinski's findings, and his results can not be duplicated (sounds a lot like all that cold fusion nonsense). Also patients undergoing his therapy have not shown conclusive signs of getting better.

No conclusive evidence of signs of getting better? Ok, I'm going to assume that you didn't watch the documentary because these other "independant labs" are actually the big pharmaceutical companies and they messed up the dosage so as to discredit his findings. Look, i'll post up the documentary here and if you want to watch it then watch it'll prove what those independant labs did.

But anyway, i'm not sure why you think the government(U.S. in this case) is some wholesome organization who's #1 priority is it's people...clearly that is the case and clearly that is why the world is such a wonderful place it is today! :)

A European spacecraft has discovered an ozone layer high in the sweltering atmosphere of Venus,
maybe we take a giant vacuum to venus and suck up there ozone and bring it back to earth like the movie spaceballs.

STARGATE DISAGREES

Back