Red Dead Redemption Official Thread

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
reddead.jpg

Game Info:
Release Date: May 18th (NA) \ May 21st (PAL)
Platforms: Xbox 360, PS3

About The Game:

The game is set in 1908, although footage of an in-game newspaper places the date in 1911, possibly suggesting a span of several years; it focuses around a former outlaw, John Marston. Marston has been given the primary directive by government agents to kill or capture his former gang members, which includes his old 'friend' and gang leader Bill Williamson. If he does not do so, his family will pay the price. Along the way Marston is given work as the game will use open world with sandbox environments and a free-roaming ability. The environments include frontier towns, deserts, prairies, and mountain passes. The game features over 40 different types of animals that can be hunted including cattle, bison, beaver, bears, cougars, rattlesnakes, deer, wolves, mustangs, coyotes, wild boars, vultures, bighorn sheep, elk, ducks, other birds, and more to be revealed

Multiplayer:

Red Dead Redemption pushes the envelope of the open-world experience. Instead of lobby screens, the player is placed into the single-player map and given the freedom to explore with a lobby consisting of up to 16 people with the additional option o creating a "posse" ranging from 2-8 people. While exploring online the player's experience will share many of the same features which can be found in the single-player experience. At any given time the player is able to roam the country hunting game, search for unassuming, unsuspecting settlers out on the trail, serve vigilante justice by the gun, enjoy the scenic beauty of the expansive map, or assume the role of a lawman seeking to bring order to the chaos that was the west. Gunning down innocent civilians will warrant the same punishment as the character would receive in single-player while the player will be rewarded for completing challenges having to do with serving justice to bandits terrorizing the countryside. As the player climbs the ladder of experience (towards the level cap of 50) they will gain new, pre-selected character skins, titles, weapons, and modes of transportation.

Game Modes:
  • Free Roam
  • Deathmatch
  • Team Deathmatch
  • Gold Rush
  • Team Gold Rush

Join Other HL2netters:
There you can find out which HL2.net members are playing Red Dead Redemption and on which gaming system they are using. Just follow this link for more info.

Trailers and Gameplay Videos

So many great details in this game. You can herd cattle! I also like the idea of campfires.

Will need to upgrade slightly for this one I think - still looks like one of the better games this year.

Will need to upgrade slightly for this one I think - still looks like one of the better games this year.

A PC version hasn't been announced. Yet. Knowing R* a badly optimized port will probably hit retail before the end of the year.

I doubt that we will see a PC version. GTA IV wasn't exactly a commercial success on the PC.

I'm so hyped for this game. It just keeps looking more and more amazing. The 'minigame' type stuff you can do--herding cattle, roping horses, and gambling--really adds to what was already an impressive-looking game. I'm a sucker for side things you can do in video games.

"Head further north, and you'll encounter...bears"
YEAAAAAAAAAAH GONNA MELEE A BEAR AND SKIN 'IM

Probably my most hyped game this year after Mass Effect 2. I just know I will sink hours on end into this, just like GTA4.

This game will be amazing, though I already miss the kind of fantasy feel the first one had.

I hope it's more fun than GTA4.

Man, it really looks like its going to have framerate problems. That part where hes shooting people off their horses looked like it dropped to single digits.

Everything sounds awesome, but I hope they release a PC version that can run better.

This looks like footage they used in previous videos, so it might be from an earlier build.

**** YOU LET ME HAVE MY HOPE.

incredible.
this has got to be my #1 most anticipated game so far this year

i played the first one multiple times when i was a young kid, I'm ****in' excited for this

Or im just not a silly idiot trying to play the game on settings my hardware can't handle.

This looks ****ing amazing! I can't wait until it comes to PC. My computer will be able to handle this well I hope when it does come out, even if poorly optimized.

Ran fine for me so long as i didnt set it to retardedly high settings.

This. I never had a problem with GTA4, few crashes to desktop miles far and between, but what game doesn't :afro:.

I want this so bad!

Can't wait to play it on my 360.

Personally I'm a bit doubtful about it getting ported, the most recent game that Rockstar San Diego did that made it to PC was in 2003 and was a racing game.

But, if it eventually makes its way to PC I'll probably get it for that as well, at least if it features some form of notable improvements over the console version(aside from technical ones!)

I doubt that we will see a PC version. GTA IV wasn't exactly a commercial success on the PC.
Well, I hope they bring RDR to the PC, because I'd like to play it. I still need to pick up GTA4 and a video card that can play it. Maybe soon here... I've been holding out because I'd like to get something extremely powerful that can easily play games like RDR. I'd like to get something in the ATI 59xx series, but the prices are very very high.

Personally I'd get a nVidia these days.

Why? Because nVidia are greedy bastards paying developers to add exclusive graphical and other features to the game when it runs on a nVidia GPU.

Recent examples: Metro 2033 and Just Cause 2.

Personally I'd get a nVidia these days.

Why? Because nVidia are greedy bastards paying developers to add exclusive graphical and other features to the game when it runs on a nVidia GPU.

Recent examples: Metro 2033 and Just Cause 2.
I'm open to either, it's all about low price/ high performance. Nvidia needs to make their products available first. Due this month, I believe.

I don't see how DX11 or the water or shadow effects (or whatever else) is some exclusive trick for Nvidia; I think that is just advertising spin. I'm sure ATI can do the same thing (who does it better will be revealed in benchmarks).

So it looks to me like Nvidia only has 3D vision feature to offer for those games you mention. None the less, it might be extremely cool, and the price for the 3D glasses isn't unreasonable.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=7489

Video of Just Cause 2 on PC - it really does look amazing:
http://kotaku.com/5484795/just-cause-2-pc-loves-on-nvidia

This game looks amazing. So far so good. I loved Call of Jaurez so I am bound to love this.

New Life in the West trailer. Looks like the framerate has gotten much better even since last trailer. :thumbs: I simply cannot wait for this game!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKt3AbXiiPA

Oh, and I think the new Game Informer has this listed for PC as well. I assume it will be out for PC by EOY.

Traditionally, I'm not really interested in Wild West themes, but I can honestly say this is on my wanted list! I'm a fan (among other types) of open world games, so this should keep me interested.

For some reason, I like the concept of setting down camp near another group's fire, and hearing rumors. Nice touch.

I'm open to either, it's all about low price/ high performance. Nvidia needs to make their products available first. Due this month, I believe.

I don't see how DX11 or the water or shadow effects (or whatever else) is some exclusive trick for Nvidia; I think that is just advertising spin. I'm sure ATI can do the same thing (who does it better will be revealed in benchmarks).

So it looks to me like Nvidia only has 3D vision feature to offer for those games you mention. None the less, it might be extremely cool, and the price for the 3D glasses isn't unreasonable.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=7489

Video of Just Cause 2 on PC - it really does look amazing:
http://kotaku.com/5484795/just-cause-2-pc-loves-on-nvidia

Actually I have seen comparison vids etc, it's clear that there are extra shaders put in use when using nVidia's GPUs with the support.

The 'tech' that is nVidia exclusive that gets you the fancy stuff is called CUDA, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA

Look it up.

Reminds me of the Splinter Cell business(If you didn't know, PC Splinter Cell only supported 'fully' dynamic shadows on nVidia GPUs.)

Also Victim, new trailer is looking good, can't wait!

That new trailer solidified my purchase. Hopefully they announce a release date for pc soon.

Shaker and myself have been circle-jerking over this game for the past few weeks. We've been reading all the PAX impressions, watching all the vids etc.

That new trailer solidified my purchase. Hopefully they announce a release date for pc soon.

I'm not so sure this will make it to PC, remember they've already exceeded their original budget by a substantial amount, as well as having taken a lot more time with the game than was originally planned.

Also, remember that this is not from the studio that made GTAIV.

As I said, in the end I think it will depend a lot on sale as to if it gets ported or not. the original Red Dead Revolver was console exclusive.

Shaker and myself have been circle-jerking over this game for the past few weeks. We've been reading all the PAX impressions, watching all the vids etc.

Indeed. We've gone all Brokeback Mountain.

What's really clever is [they seem to] show off the PC version in videos and screenshots and try to act like they will consider making a PC version.

That looks pretty nice, might buy it for the X360.

What's really clever is [they seem to] show off the PC version in videos and screenshots and try to act like they will consider making a PC version.

PC version of Red Dead Redemption?

I haven't seen any indications of it being the PC version in videos and screenshots.

Come May 18, a lot of people are going to get roped. I look forward to hogtying you all, and possibly selling you some bearskins.

Back