Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Rendering out my tank footage now. Not a whole lot of action, but you can see how it works with both NPC and player crewmates (Garg joined me, I couldn't figure out how to spawn in his tank). I also blow up one tank, and Garg snipes one at long range from a hull down position.

Stardog: Firstly, you only get beta access if you got the digital deluxe version. If you did get that one, then in your games list in Steam you'll see it available to be installed.

Yeah it was at the bottom of the list on its own because I had RO1/2 in an FPS group...meh.

What's the tank damage system like? Can you disable individual parts of the tank? Or is it just one big HP count for the whole thing, with varying damage based on where you hit it?

I'm not liking it too much so far. It's similar to RO1 post the Berlin-type maps. The controls are a bit fiddly too, with leaning, shift-zoom, height adjusting in and out of ironsights and not being able to prone in many places. Half my time is also spent with my map open looking for my arrow, and it's too fast-paced to be doing that.

I hope there are some simpler maps with 1 objective at a time. Maybe then I'll feel like I'm in a team heading towards the same goal. That's a problem I had with RO post tanks.

I have played for about two hours tonight and I like it a lot. The game runs really smooth. It didn't crash once after I ran the UE3 redistributable. The audio is really good, but the gunfire should be a lot louder than it is now. The gameplay is punishingly hard, but enjoyable. Not having a k/d ratio helps.

I agree with Stardog that the game isn't that different from the first RO but Tripwire did refine a lot of things. I did like the height adjusting when switching to iron sights. To me it felt like a cover mechanic in itself.

I hope there are some simpler maps with 1 objective at a time. Maybe then I'll feel like I'm in a team heading towards the same goal. That's a problem I had with RO post tanks.

I'm led to believe that Countdown mode is exactly this. You get a single life per objective, but if your team captures it you respawn and move onto the next one.

What's the tank damage system like? Can you disable individual parts of the tank? Or is it just one big HP count for the whole thing, with varying damage based on where you hit it?

Skip to 10:15 in the video. You can see I got shot in the side which destroyed my engine. I was ordering my driver to move but he couldn't do anything. Also, someone at some point types "you disabled my traverse in the first shot!" or something. Not sure if I got that part in the video though. So yeah, individual parts can be destroyed. Same with the crew inside.

And yes, Countdown mode is one objective at a time, and is my favorite non-tank mode. Firefight is too much of a deathmatch, and I don't like that there are no semi established "lines." In firefight you get shot from behind just as often as not, which is lame.

One thing that annoys me:

I spent quite a bit of time playing as a sniper, when you reload as a sniper you can only break the reload animation by sprinting.

What I'd like is for them to make it so that if I press R a second time I stop putting in new bullets into the rifle.

Man, firefight is ****ing terrible. I seriously hate that game mode.

Crab nazi sez "**** y'all."

TD3wb.jpg

(Not mine. Get bent, beta-havers.)

Tried it yesterday after getting it to launch but it ran like shit on auto-detected medium settings. Turned stuff to low and still ran like crap. So, anyone know what's the biggest performance killer in the settings.

For the hour or so I played it just felt like a giant camp-fest.

Shadows and AA kill the performance. Also, did you run the UE3 resdistributable?

I hear grumblings about poor performance every now and then, its probably hardware related and just something Tripwire will get around to fixing. It runs flawlessly for me, 50fps with all settings at max except for AA, which is just at whatever the medium level is.

I'm running it really smoothly on high. Nice game, I think I just don't understand it very well. Would take some time playing to get used to changing from playing more fast paced shooters;

ALSO NEED TO RECOGNIZE WHO ARE MY FRIENDS FROM A DISTANCE

ALSO NEED TO RECOGNIZE WHO ARE MY FRIENDS FROM A DISTANCE

Protip: If they're sprinting and holding their gun in one hand, they're German. If they're sprinting with the gun in both hands, Russian. They were trained that way in real life, and tripwire animated them that way, giving you a visual hint. I used it extensively in the last game I played in a combined arms match where I was a tank sitting far away and had to identify infantry before I could blow them to giblets.

Alan Wilson from Tripwire has a bit of trouble playing his own game.

Ok, I think I only ever got session-banned once in 6 years on RO1 - and I've managed it twice today

Both times on Apartments, both times playing German with MG.

First time (playing TE) I was propped up on a ground floor window with a nice angle to chop down Russians coming across the left-hand bridge as well as trying to sneak round the far left corner. They pop up, I hose them. Their sniper/MG failing to get me. Then some of our guys just have to edge right forward into Russki smoke - TK or two and I'm gone.

Second time (FF), I went far right, prone in the doorway looking down the street, waiting for targets. Couple of our guys spawned, slid through the door - then 4 Russians running down the street... I start to hose them down, when another German runs past me from behind and I cut him down too... TK and I'm gone again.

Its embarrassing... so, if you see my (friendly) tracers heading down-range, please don't step in front of me! Can't have devs making complete idiots of themselves...

People who run in front of others who are shooting are just plain retarded.

Well, anyone who wants to play RO2 with me can add me on Steam, my ID is Gargantou.

I already have 25 hours logged in the beta, I am so addicted!

Video is processing now, but should be available in a minute.

Watched a good bit of that Krynn, was fun. You're a lot better than I am... I'm having a hard time adjusting to the control scheme in RO2.

Crashed 4 times in a row for me today.

Three new maps will be added to the beta:

• Grain Elevator - the iconic battle site in the south of Stalingrad featuring long range infantry fighting outdoors and room to room close quarters combat inside
  • Red October Factory - night-time fighting in the factory ruins on an epic scale with infantry and tanks fighting side by side
  • Barracks - a mix of close-quarter and medium-range combat, sure to be a fan favorite

Screenshots here. Night-time map, yush!

Tweaked some stuff. Everything runs better and is crash-free.
Lods of fun

Looks awesome, can't wait for the 13th.

Lol @ Krynn's vid, only 35 seconds in, assumed CoD kiddie complaining about long respawn time. My kind of game.

Three new maps will be added to the beta:

• Grain Elevator - the iconic battle site in the south of Stalingrad featuring long range infantry fighting outdoors and room to room close quarters combat inside
  • Red October Factory - night-time fighting in the factory ruins on an epic scale with infantry and tanks fighting side by side
  • Barracks - a mix of close-quarter and medium-range combat, sure to be a fan favorite

Screenshots here. Night-time map, yush!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Not my video:

That video gave me a good chuckle!

New maps look great, can't wait to try them out!

Nice video Krynn, looks tense as hell. Did I spot you killing Starmonkey at one point? :p

Its possible. I've run into a bunch of hl2.netters. I assume they joined me via steam friends, or joined a hl2.netter that I joined. Hard to tell when people I know join in since nobody uses voice chat, and reading text chat while playing gets you killed. So if anybody said hi to me, and I ignored them, it wasn't intentional!

Nobody communicating is sure to do wonders for teamwork! Does the commo rose get used a lot?

So people in another thread were having trouble aiming grenades and someone posted this sagely advice. Might be obvious but hey.

Wuph5.png

Actually having a lot more fun than I thought I would. I like to play squad leader and either hang back to act as a closer spawn point or get in and clear out buildings.

Man this game absolutely RULES!
I loved RO1 admittedly, but I enjoy this more than any other war game on the market right now.

Aiming, scoping, running, diving, covering, jumping walls, etc.. just feels so right

2011090300012.jpg

Not to brag, but I must say that I have gotten quite decent at this whole Team Leading/Commander-stuff!

Man this game absolutely RULES!
I loved RO1 admittedly, but I enjoy this more than any other war game on the market right now.

Aiming, scoping, running, diving, covering, jumping walls, etc.. just feels so right

Same. The mix between realism and fun gameplay is just right. Sometimes I get a bit annoyed by being sniped constantly but then I realize it is simply my own fault for not staying in cover enough. Plus no sniper is safe from a well executed flanking maneuver.

Which class are you guys playing the most? I am going Squad Leader when possible because of the awesome Walther G41 (I usually play Axis) and the smoke nades. Being SL also stimulates me to not take any big chances which in turn keeps me alive a lot longer.

I almost exclusively play TL, on both of the maps currently available.

Back