Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 Preloading Now

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
This news is now just coming in. Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45, an Unreal Tournament 2004 modification that has been created by a very talented team of developers, is now available for pre-purchase and pre-load via Steam.
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 is now available for pre-load and pre-purchase via Steam. Red Orchestra is a realistic WWII online action game that features one dozen scenarios, a wide arsenal, and drivable vehicles. Pre-loading is available with no obligation to purchase. Those who pre-purchase will save 10% off of the regular price of $24.95.
This is great news and the price is nothing to complain about! If you’ve never heard of this game, be sure to check out their trailer that was just released. More information on Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 can be found at its official website.[br]

Woah, that's a nice surprise

EDIT: but I can't seem to find the system req.'s

Looks exactly like the mod, but now you have to pay. Didnt see any improvement really, I love RO (the mod) but I wont be paying for it.

Smash! You stole my news! ...

... Wait a minute, I'm not staff here! ;)

On topic: Fantastic news! I can't wait to give this a try after hearing how great the UT mod was.

I'm sure the amount you pay is to cover the cost of getting the UT2004 engine, if you had ut2004 already, then the mod is still free.

aeroripper said:
I'm sure the amount you pay is to cover the cost of getting the UT2004 engine, if you had ut2004 already, then the mod is still free.
They actually received the rights to the UT2.5 engine from the "Make Something Unreal" contest I do believe.

mbrithoms said:
Looks exactly like the mod, but now you have to pay. Didnt see any improvement really, I love RO (the mod) but I wont be paying for it.

:frown:

14 veihicles (sp?) > 4 vehicles
New infantry skins + weapons
Have you seen the video!?

plus tank combat was my favourite part :)

Zips said:
They actually received the rights to the UT2.5 engine from the "Make Something Unreal" contest I do believe.

Oh yea, I guess they can legally sell their game now. Oh well its worth it seeing as how much work they put into it, I could never get into the game myself though.

mbrithoms said:

They have re-written most of the code from scratch. There is more of everything, and the overal polish is incredible. It's a completely different game from the mod. I don't think you really know what you're talking about.

mbrithoms said:
WTF are you smoking?
*pre-orders*

Supernorn said:
the overal polish is incredible. It's a completely different game from the mod. I don't think you really know what you're talking about.

Do you? sorry have you played this 'retail' version? are you involved in the development or a beta tester? how exactly do you know the polish is incredible and thats its completely different from the mod.

Simple fact is, Im almost betting this 'retail' version is going to be well watered down on the realism side of things, one of the main reasons myself and most of my old clan stopped playing RO is because the realism became so rediculous as the mod progressed, with every update we got they made it more real but failed to find the balance between realism and fun, in the end me and alot of others stopped playing

though dont get me wrong RO has always been of a 'retail' quality and ergo thats why they won the MSU competition but something really grinds my gears about paying for a mod (and in regard to RO I say mod in the highest respect) but bottom line it was a mod.

Do you? sorry have you played this 'retail' version? are you involved in the development or a beta tester? how exactly do you know the polish is incredible and thats its completely different from the mod.
Watch the trailer.
Leaning, dismemberment, realistic tank warfare, diving to prone....that doesn't scratch the surface According to the development team, everything that should be simple and straightforward in real life will be simple and straightforward in the game.
Im almost betting this 'retail' version is going to be well watered down on the realism side of things,
They are not sacrificing realism for the sake of retail, they've said it 1000 times. And I'm more than willing to believe them, having followed the mod since v1.1.
And you aren't paying for a mod anymore. It's a new, fully-realized game. Huge difference between that and a mod.

Looks like a cool game not to much into ww2 shooters.

It has a singleplayer with bots.

So no, no singleplayer ;)

I preordered mine! I have a feeling im gunna spend a lot of money soon. Aftermath is slated to come out april 24, and TES: Oblivion is supposedly some time in march. And I thought this year would be boring in game releases.

I guess if I'm every really, really, bored and had absolutely nothing else to do I'd possibly consider downloading a copy of this using bittorrent.

I think Red Orchestra is going to be too realistic for mainstream gamers.

MutantBeef said:
Even more so than Brothers in Arms?
I guess you have a point, BIA had realistic concepts and it sold well, but it also had some mainstream catching ideas like controlling squads. I happen to think BIA is hugely overrated though.

I wish someone would make a game about WWII. That's a void that really needs to be filled.

Anyone know if there's gonna be a demo of it anytime soon?
You see I need a demo to try before I buy.:)
It does look fun tho, and I'm all for games who are ultra realistic, even if it's tedious etc, but then again, I'm an OFP fan and OFP has to be one of the most slow and realistic shooters out there so it's not surprising.:)

Robinhood_01 said:
I guess if I'm every really, really, bored and had absolutely nothing else to do I'd possibly consider downloading a copy of this using bittorrent.

Asshole. :)

Particularly for the fact that it's the RO devs first venture into the retail scene... and you're going to warez the game.

You truely are... an asshole.

Erm, you can't download a game that's on Steam on warez though? Steam would detect it and ban the player, am I wrong?

Anyway, great news. The biggest plus for me as a Red Orchestra MOD player is the bigger player base the game will now have. Before, it had a good ammount of players, but really only a handful of servers were ever full in the evening.

xlucidx said:
Asshole. :)

Particularly for the fact that it's the RO devs first venture into the retail scene... and you're going to warez the game.

You truely are... an asshole.
And an idiot too, Steam doesn't like Torrented games.
Even more so than Brothers in Arms?
I played BiA. It had realistic points but it was mostly quite unrealistic. Heck, it had little timers over the enemy's head to show how "suppressed" they were.
Can we expect a demo anytime soon?
Sometime around release, or so I've heard. I could be wrong.
I wish someone would make a game about WWII. That's a void that really needs to be filled.
Realistic, eastern front games don't exist.

Apostle11 said:
Erm, you can't download a game that's on Steam on warez though? Steam would detect it and ban the player, am I wrong?

So very wrong, sadly...

They can just disable the use of steam.

Ragdoll Kung Fu, DoD:Source, and just regular HL2 have already been victims of this.

Robinhood_01 said:
Seems like you deserve a ban.

I know I tend to moan alot round here, I truely dont mind the cynical moaning git title, but I may get this but only because of one fact like someone mentioned before 'Im a great fan of the mod and hopefully people will start playing this, and there will be lots of servers' that will be the only reason.

10% if you pre-purchase, no. I can spare the $2.40 (LOL) and wait and see the reaction of the old RO mod players first.

I've played the mod RO and it was very good. This is the full game and it looks very promising. It has more content than the mod and it's supposed to run on an improved 3D engine and have better code. Also I think it's one mod that deserves going commercial. I hope it's well polished and bug/glitch/error free.

I definitely think it's worth buying, but I'll wait a bit longer to see how popular it is. I'm playing 3 other games atm and I don't have a lot of time to play games lately.:(

This site would be so much better with comments disabled...

xlucidx said:
They can just disable the use of steam.

They have fun doing that and over 90% of the people legally playing it will be on Steam servers which they cannot connect too. I think in the end, we win the war and they are sitting there looking for servers to play on.

I'll be buying whenever I find a job....sigh

Varsity said:
This site would be so much better with comments disabled...

That would kind of defeat the point of forums.

Also, you post news on evilavatar.com, so that disqualifies your opinion a bit :)

Back