Remember the Blizzard of 2010?

I'm bored to tears... I done played through all mah games, done did all mah chores and homeworks, and now their aint nothin for me to do.

I've been off for three days in a row. It stopped snowing on Tuesday, but the remaining snow and ice hasn't gone anywhere since then. This concerns me a bit. We're experiencing the worst weather we've gotten in years, and since the roads are so slippery, I can't go out to get food, so I'm stuck with nothing. I'm basically trapped inside of this house until the weather gets better, and right now, it doesn't look too promising. Now that I think about it, the only person I've seen driving around the area is the mailman.

Man, I hope that it gets sunny so this DAMN snow will melt. I can't say I feel your pain, Krynn, but I agree that snow is annoying, especially when it comes in large quantities.

Where's my global warming, Al Gore?

:| are you serious?

Anyway... it's snowing right now. I think an inch so far. It's supposed to warm up Saturday and I hope it does because I've been ****ing sick and tired of being cooped up inside... even though before not too long ago that's all I ever did.

FIVE INCHES of ****ing snow right now. Almost half a foot here in texas. I'm looking outside right now and it's bright as **** and the snow all on the cars and the street and everything it reminds me of being in Alaska.

I'm both incredibly happy and incredibly pissed.

I plan on going outside later as it gets brighter and taking some video footage so I can remember how crazy this winter has been for us in Texas.

EDIT: I decided to do it right now, at 4:00 am.

I fall on my ass in the first 25 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_lRxn1oG44

Damn. I got some more snow, too. Just yesterday I was able to see a little bit of the grass in my front yard, and then out of nowhere, it gets completely covered by snow AGAIN. The street is also completely blanketed by snow, so I'm still pretty much stuck. I haven't left this house since Tuesday, which scares me a little. This weather is extremely unusual for a place like Texas.

Another day off, I guess.

Dang it, where's my day off?

ch20110204.gif

I live in WV and there's not even snow on the ground. This pleases me.

I live in Florida so I suppose I'll wear a t-shirt and shorts today.

trollface.jpg

At least the snow has given me the chance to talk with you fine fellows on the important issues at hand, like the uprising in Egypt, or the new games coming out this year. It's also made me realize how important it is to stock up on food before a winter storm hits your area.

Oh man, I'm screwed.

FIVE INCHES of ****ing snow right now. Almost half a foot here in texas. I'm looking outside right now and it's bright as **** and the snow all on the cars and the street and everything it reminds me of being in Alaska.

I'm both incredibly happy and incredibly pissed.

I plan on going outside later as it gets brighter and taking some video footage so I can remember how crazy this winter has been for us in Texas.

EDIT: I decided to do it right now, at 4:00 am.

I fall on my ass in the first 25 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_lRxn1oG44

lol'd @ the fall and the muffled "ow"

Raz, I didn't know you lived in Dallas. Neat. I live by DFW airport.

I'm enjoying the snow and cold weather. I've been drinking gallons of hot coffee, cider, and tea. HMMM.

Our hot water keeps on going out because we have tankless water heaters on the side of the house and the supply pipes keep freezing. We have to thaw them every morning to take showers.

School has been closed since Tuesday. :D vacation!

FINALLY THE ****ING ROADS ARE CLEAR AGAIN! Can go to the gym tonight... and hopefully work on tuesday.

However, it's supposed to snow again tomorrow and next week by like Thursday.

@Raz: Yea, most of the ice is gone too. There are some shady-spots where it lingers but the main roads are all clear.

I wonder if the snow tomorrow will cause more school cancelations? I actually wouldn't mind because the delays we had last week pushed two tests up to a day that I will be out of town for. Another delay would push those tests to a day where I could actually take them.

Texans don't know how to drive in ice. I've seen people spin out because they think it is a good idea to brake suddenly, and I've seen people start sliding backwards down hills because they were too scared to go more than five miles an hour..... My dad took me to a frozen parking lot and we had some fun drifting the suburban.

Slippery as **** today. All the dirty ice that was relatively safe to walk on it totally slick sure to a full day of constant rain.

It's also made me realize how important it is to stock up on food before a winter storm hits your area.

Heh, yes. I remember last year I wanted to walk down the street (about half a mile) to the grocery store. I made it one block and gave up.

But aside from fresh vegetables, I typically have a lot on hand. Enough meat in my freezer to last months, about 20 cans of vegetables, some canned fruit, maybe 15 cans of soup, and a lot of microwaveable food.

I don't think we'd ever run out of food if a storm came our way and we couldn't get access to any other food.

We have like a bazillion canned tomatoes and beans and green beans and stuff. Not to mention hundreds of cans of tuna fish.

Dont mean to be a douche, but i find it humorous how some Americans are treating this small amount of snow as some kind of catastrophe. If there normally doesnt snow in an area, then yes i can understand how it can be somewhat interesting and cool, but i dont understand why some people blow it out of proportions as if there is a huge blizzard destroying society, and then when i watch the photos and videos, its just a bit of snow and wind.

Go north and experience cold like a real man!

EDIT: I can understand how traffic is severely effected by this if the area is unprepared, but thats about it. Cancelling school and talking about food supplies is just laughable.

Dont mean to be a douche, but i find it humorous how some Americans are treating this small amount of snow as some kind of catastrophe. If there normally doesnt snow in an area, then yes i can understand how it can be somewhat interesting and cool, but i dont understand why some people blow it out of proportions as if there is a huge blizzard destroying society, and then when i watch the photos and videos, its just a bit of snow and wind.

EDIT: I can understand how traffic is severely effected by this if the area is unprepared, but thats about it. Cancelling school and talking about food supplies is just laughable.

Where are people saying this is destroying society, besides the moron global warming deniers alluding these harsh winters with global cooling instead or a debunking of global warming. Those people by the way, aren't on these forums.

Me, I'm surprised to see this much snow in Texas because I've never seen this much here. I've had some snow before, but not to this degree, and it's impressive. I've also never had it where the roads were iced over for almost a week making the locals(and myself really) unable to go out without facing risk of accidents. This much snow here in Dallas is fairly unprecedented, though I'm sure there's been more in the past. My reactions to it and my video is that it's something I haven't seen in quite a long time.

I used to live in Alaska so I'm used to far more snow than this, that doesn't disappear in a week or even half a year... but the amount for Texas and the way Texans react to it it's quite crazy. It's also quite a surprise because the same snow falling here is also being experienced by almost every state from the same massive storm system. Places like Arizona and such which almost never experience snow like this except in high altitudes.

So if you live in an area that gets snow regularly, predictably... then fine. But that doesn't leave you in a position to really judge people who almost never experience it on the level they have and expect them to man the **** up because they don't live where you do.

I guess thats understandable.

However i didnt mean the "man up" part as trying to judge people, i meant it as a joke in a light hearted way/tone. Hard to get that across with text, maybe i should use more smileys. :)

Nah it's cool, I understood you. I'm just being hard on you.

Ignoring your overstatement of people's reactions, it is rather serious. Several buildings have collapsed under the weight of the snow here, and many more are in danger of it, forcing people to evacuate their apartments and such. School roofs have collapsed, homes, apartment buildings, commercial buildings, churches, you name it, its probably collapsed. People are paying upwards of $2,000 for a residential home to be cleared.
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-saturday-weather-0206-20110205,0,2663946.story
http://www.courant.com/videobeta/?watchId=f63b75ae-da44-4149-b9db-515f2f1ac786
http://www.courant.com/community/ea...dsor-evacuation-0206-20110205,0,6531538.story

Then theres the road conditions, where sections of pavement on highly trafficked roads are collapsing due to ice freezing and making cracks in them, and running water eroding the earth underneath. Any of the four lane roads here are reduced to two roads at best, and with parking lots being reduced in capacity, people have to park out on the streets, meaning they're often one lane roads for half-mile stretches, causing serious traffic problems that result in people being severely late to work. Not to mention traffic accidents, several of which have been fatal.

Maybe its because you live in Sweden, that you don't understand why this is a big deal. The North East here is way, WAY more densely populated than your country. For instance, Sweden has about 21 people per kilometer. My state, Connecticut has about 278 people per kilometer. Thats not even a big deal compared to some other parts of the area. You have a little over 9 million people in 410,000 km. We have 3.5 million in just 12,500 km. My state is more than 13 times more dense than your country. The problems with snow are amplified consequently. We literally have no place to the put snow anymore. Bigger cities have been contemplating dumping it into the ocean or rivers.

The economic cost is really unknown. People being late for work, unable to get to work at all, loss of revenue from all the people not willing to risk their necks to go shopping, people getting to work and spending half their day shoveling out their businesses' walkways (as my cousin has to do every snow storm, instead of doing his actual job). Plus the government is just ****ing broke now. Halfway through January the capital here was applying for federal aid because we've spent probably 85-90% of our snow removal budget and we've still got two more months of snow left to go.

So, while it may not be the end of the world as you sort-of joked about us making it seem, it is a very serious matter, and not impossible to be classified as a catastrophe. You saying that cancelling school is a laughable decision, really just makes me think you have no idea what you're talking about. Especially since I already explained why it is necessary in this thread.

Heres just a few of the collapses we've seen here in Connecticut. http://modernsurvivalblog.com/weather-preparedness/roof-collapse-chaos-in-connecticut/

26763522640x480.jpg

Yeah, thats a firehouse.

1-2.jpg

This one I think is actually from Virginia.
2-2.jpg

roof-collapse-hartford-ct-garage.jpg

roof-collapse-naugatuck-ct-warehouse.jpg

roof-collapse-somers-ct-barn.jpg

roof-collapse-south-windsor-ct-bowling-alley.jpg

roof-collapse-stafford-springs-ct-mill-building.jpg

roof-collapse-vernon-ct-car-dealership.jpg

waterbury-roof-collapse-from-snow.gif

Well said Krynn. That's a factor I haven't even considered since it's not that bad here in Texas. When I was in alaska though we'd rake our snow off the roof every time it snowed to avoid those problems, and to add to our massive snow berm in our front yard which we'd carve tunnels in and have snow ramps on. Due to the hill on our property leading to the street, we'd be the winter hangout for sledding down... and we'd often build a nice ramp to leap from.

Ahh the memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QneAyi7HKdw

Last year the gym roof of my cousin's kids' school collapsed.

As did portions of the roof in the lab I work in, around Jan/Feb '10. I haven't looked up at the ceiling in a while, but definitely even into the summer/fall, they hadn't replaced the brown (moldy?) ceiling tiles -- or even the missing ceiling tiles, and sometimes when it rained it smelled weird. I go to a private university, so it's unclear what exactly they're doing with everyone's tuition money.

No collapses here to my knowledge.

Roads are still insanely terrible. Roommates 200SX now has a hole in the exhaust from the shitty bumps and ice in the road. I have yet to even attempt to drive my car. No sir.

Heard it's going to snow on Wednesday. Shouldn't be as serious as the last one we had, but I can guarantee I'm getting another day off.

Man, every wednesday night I go out to this store that holds some gaming event, and I havent been able to go for the past three weeks, because its snowed EVERY ****ing time. I'm going this time no matter, **** the weather, it ain't da boss of me.

Pics of here. These were from Sunday, after a day of rain where thankfully it melted some of it. Also, check out that layer of ice on the snow. Thick as ****.

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

I spun out Saturday rushing to work. But my heart never races anymore unless its when someone puts me on the spot at work or when I'm with a girl I like a lot. If this was 5 years ago I would have been all sweaty and my hands would have shook but for some reason I don't do that much anymore. Then on Sunday I got stuck at the end of my girlfriends driveway. They rarely plow her side street and its a major pain to get in and out of that area

One of my younger cousins flipped a vehicle 5 times before the snow started here.

That kid is so ****ing lucky to be alive. This is like the sixth vehicle he's wrecked, and this one is even more totaled than the last time.

Why they keep giving him vehicles to wreck and risk his life with I don't know. I love him but he's a ****ing stupid reckless driver.

I don't want to have to go to his funeral because he decided to shun responsible driving and either drive too fast or too recklessly. One of these days he's not going to be lucky and he's going to be severely crippled or killed if he doesn't adjust his driving habits.

AND IT'S SO ****ING FRUSTRATING when he keeps saying things like, "I know how to drive..." Sorry buddy, I love you... but you're a shitty driver and your driving record and vehicle graveyard proves otherwises.

Kids these days... ****ing idiotic.

He flipped five times? As in, upside-down then right-side up five times? What the ****. Break his god damn foot already and save his life.

He flipped five times? As in, upside-down then right-side up five times? What the ****. Break his god damn foot already and save his life.

Yeah. Flipped it 5 times from what I heard. Had his girlfriend in the car and her door ripped off. He's lucky she's not dead or badly injured.

I usually get to see their vehicle graveyard whenever I go over to their house, but I don't know if I'll be able to see that one. Doubt they'd have it there since the front isn't smashed in... it's totaled apparently.

I hope he learns his lession. I hope he will, based on this... but I dunno.

"you know out of all the life threatening situations ive been in the only one where i think i actually had to step back and take in the gravity of what i was doing is when i put someone elses life in danger as well"

I don't know if his accident would have been worse or not during the winter freeze we had. Probably worse... especially if nobody was able to come to their wreck for a while due to the conditions or even knew about it.

Break his dick then his feet, that way at least the girl will live too

Do his family or friends give him a hard time for it at all? Surely someone is stepping up and trying to shake some sense into him, especially if he's putting other lives in danger like that.

Back