Same-sex marriage banned in Maine

Captain M4d

POWER OVERWHELMING
Reaction score
Same-sex marriage was legalized in Maine back in May, but it was immediately challenged by a people's veto which was put to the vote and eventually won tonight. So with that, there are many couples in Maine, some of whom are my friends, will not have the legal right to get married.

What sucks is that some of these people have been together for more than 20 years, and they still have to wait. I couldn't even imagine. Especially for the couples who have children and cannot get the same protections that married heterosexual couples can.

I'm so ****ing frustrated and disappointed in my state right now.

But the battle isn't over. Maine will continue to fight for marriage equality.

Here are the election results.... http://www.bangordailynews.com/electionresults.html

Well, did you and your friends vote?

Personally, I think this is pretty despicable, since gays are obviously the minority. Even if they all voted it would be a very small percent of the total votes.

My friend who is in Maine is Bi, well before this issue even showed up I've come to the conclusion that Maine is full of bigoted ****s.

Personally, I think this is pretty despicable, since gays are obviously the minority. Even if they all voted it would be a very small percent of the total votes.
Of course I voted! And made sure that all my friends voted. I phonebanked and did tons of online campaigning too.
My friend who is in Maine is Bi, well before this issue even showed up I've come to the conclusion that Maine is full of bigoted ****s.
Please don't generalize the entire state. If you look at the polls, it was very close, so it may be accurate to say that 52% of Maine are bigoted ****s.

Bigger cities like Portland voted for same-sex marriage by a landslide. It's all the rural, way-up-north towns that culled tons of people from church.

I know they aren't but hell, generalizing is fun. Ruralism tends to make people insane apparently.

A very, very large percentage of americans are bigoted ****s. I'm sure several of them live in Maine, just as they do in every state. Just be glad you all dont live where I do.

Isn't that how voting in a democracy is supposed to work? The majority won. :|

Isn't it weird? On the one hand, same-sex couples are being denied the right to legal marriage, but the majority has the right to ban it.

Saturos, defender of America! Defender of democracy, and the democratic right of Americans to be dickheads when it comes to same-sex marriage bans!

I think that the point of this thread was that it sucks that same-sex marriage has been banned, not "oh god democracy is evil".

Saturos, defender of America! Defender of democracy, and the democratic right of Americans to be dickheads when it comes to same-sex marriage bans!

I think that the point of this thread was that it sucks that same-sex marriage has been banned, not "oh god democracy is evil".
but...but it's ~TRRRUUUUEEE~ :p

It's not like it'll always be that way though and that gays will never be able to get married.
Beside if it's that big a deal, just move to a state where it's legal.

It's not like it'll always be that way though and gays will never be able to get married. Besides, if it's that big a deal, just move to a state where it's legal.

Why not make the change happen now?

How would you feel if I told you that you weren't legally allowed to marry the person that you loved? If you felt ready and willing to make something of a lifelong commitment to someone, and then someone stepped in and said 'welp no actually you can't sorry, try somewhere else'?

You'd think it's bullshit. Because this is bullshit.

Why not make the change happen now?

How would you feel if I told you that you weren't legally allowed to marry the person that you loved? If you felt ready and willing to make something of a lifelong commitment to someone, and then someone stepped in and said 'welp no actually you can't sorry, try somewhere else'?

You'd think it's bullshit. Because this is bullshit.
The best way to handle it imo is for the state to legalize it, but let the churches themselves decide.

Episcopal churches will marry gays for example, but Methodists or Baptists won't.

It is just as much a right for people to disagree as it is for those who agree.

I'd personally move the hell out and realize that the state was full of too much shit.

Massive failure, Saturos. So if the majority voted that all Jews should be exterminated, well that's democracy?

Your gay bashing agenda rears it's ugly dragon head again, this shouldn't be a surprise.

Massive failure, Saturos. So if the majority voted that all Jews should be exterminated, well that's democracy?
but the Germans have no common sense whatsoever, so they don't count.

Well that is democracy. Democracy does not equal justified, righteous, or even moral. And I think the emoticon Saturos used implied that he wasn't saying it's a good thing in this case just that it's the will of the majority.

Check my edit, Saturos. Serious business.

Ask yourself why do you even care if two men are married? How will it affect you in the slightest?

Check my edit, Saturos. Serious business.

Ask yourself why do you even care if two men are married? How will it affect you in the slightest?
I don't really care. It's just my opinion and let's just leave it at that.

Your gay bashing agenda rears it's ugly dragon head again, this shouldn't be a surprise.
/flamebaiting

So this is your opinion: If they "want to be gay", they should be gay in a different state.

?

So this is your opinion: If they "want to be gay", they should be gay in a different state?
No, it's more like: "I don't like people shoving their beliefs and agendas down my throat so if they want to be gay, don't expect me to agree with it"

...and I think that's how alot of people feel about alot of issues, not just this.

I did say it should be legal and just let the individual clergy groups decide. Aren't you even reading my damn posts virus? :p

Hey, that's what the people (or at least the majority of them) of Maine wanted, then that is what they get. The People are always blessed with the government that they deserve.

Maybe they have a ****ed-up sense of morals, maybe they don't know right from wrong, but since you believe in the ideal of popular sovereignity this is what you must endure. What is Democracy? Democracy is simply the manifestation of the people's will.

Of course, I believe in limited democracy, so I'm free to bash this without being a hypocrite, but since I'm not a homosexual, I do not feel the need to. When they came for the homosexuals I did not speak for I was not a homosexual. This seems to be the very nature of people; they care about themselves, at least most of the time. It would seem to me that the people of Maine don't hate homosexuals, they merely don't care about them.

Events such as this is the failure of socierty to educate.

And you guys wonder why I have become disillusioned with democracy. Oh I know I cry Freedom! Democracy! whenever I bash certain political factions, but it's just that they sound better.

No, it's more like: "I don't like people shoving their beliefs and agendas down my throat so if they want to be gay, don't expect me to agree with it"
If your opinion is so weak that you just close up and won't bother defending it, then maybe you should change your opinion. Can you state any reason at all for having a problem with gay marriage?

Also, how many gays do you think wanted to be gay? When they were young, do you think they said to themselves, "you know, I think I'd like to be gay so that I may be the subject of endless ridicule and disrespect. Hell, if I'm lucky, people might even just beat me up or kill me."

I'm not gay either, does that mean allowing gay marriage is them shoving their beliefs and agendas down my throat? What in the world are you talking about there?

I'm not gay either, does that mean allowing gay marriage is them shoving their beliefs and agendas down my throat? What in the world are you talking about there?
What the hell are we supposed to tell our sons and nephews if they ask us why two dudes are french kissing intimately? Alot of parents don't want their kids around this kind of stuff in the US.

Children, as it turns out, are far more understanding than adults in that regard.

What the hell are we supposed to tell our sons and nephews if they ask us why two dudes are french kissing intimately? Alot of parents don't want their kids around this kind of stuff in the US.

They aren't going to start french kissing in a restaurant, etc. I'm sorry, but they know just as well as you and I that society isn't ready for that kind of thing. It would probably be very rare that they would even hold hands.

People fear what they don't understand.

Have you ever even seen a gay couple? I mean, not the openly, trying to prove a point gay person, but just regular gay people? You probably have hundreds of times, and didn't even know it. You know what gay men look like? Two men in suits, standing in line at a bank. Or two gay women talking over lunch.

Wow, that's terrifying.

They aren't going to start french kissing in a restaurant, etc. I'm sorry, but they know just as well as you and I that society isn't ready for that kind of thing. It would probably be very rare that they would even hold hands.

People fear what they don't understand.

Have you ever even seen a gay couple? I mean, not the openly, trying to prove a point gay person, but just regular gay people? You probably have hundreds of times, and didn't even know it. You know what gay men look like? Two men in suits, standing in line at a bank. Or two gay women talking over lunch.

Wow, that's terrifying.
What's so irritating is not actually the act of being gay, but how so lascivious and obnoxious many of those who are. I actually have friends who are gay but no one would know unless you asked. Yes, didn't those who didn't draw attention to themselves.

It's stuff like "gay day parades" and shit. They complain about sexual profiling, but many of them do it to themselves anyways.

I'm not sure how to put this, but It's not the fact that they are celebrating being gay, but that they are celebrating a sexuality.
It would be like heterosexuals celebrating a, "sex day parade" in front of kids imo.

EDIT> I mean, let's say for another example that if someone liked ****ing animals, wouldn't you think they'd rather people not know about the intimate details of their private life?

If people were allowed to veto the civil liberties of a minority we would still be going to segregated schools. Do you think that if the people of Arkansas were allowed to vote on weather they wanted black students to go to the same high school as whites in Little Rock it would ever have happened? They had to send in the US Army just to keep the integrated students safe from the angry, racist mob. United States democracy is supposed to be based on "Majority rule, minority rights". The majority should never be allowed to vote away the rights of others.

What's so irritating is not actually the act of being gay, but how so lascivious and obnoxious many of those who are. I actually have friends who are gay but no one would know unless you asked. Yes, didn't those who didn't draw attention to themselves.
There are obnoxious people of every type. Besides, how does this trample on your rights in any way? And really, are these people infiltrating every facet of your life and generally making you completely miserable? Lol, get real.

Also, I don't believe that you have gay friends. You are making up a story. Let's suppose you were telling the truth. What if they knew how you really felt? That you think they are less than human, and as such, deserve less rights than you.

It's stuff like "gay day parades" and shit. They complain about sexual profiling, but many of them do it to themselves anyways.

I'm not sure how to put this, but It's not the fact that they are celebrating being gay, but that they are celebrating a sexuality.
It would be like heterosexuals celebrating a, "sex day parade" in front of kids imo.
They are - what we call 'marching' for their rights. They are, quite simply, fighting for their rights.

Oh, isn't this something?

If we were to let them get married, so that they could enjoy the many benefits the state offers married couples, then they won't need to fight for it and 'trouble you' with their massive gatherings of nice, peaceful people that happen to have a different sexual orientation than you.

You're fighting to take away rights from people. You say, "think of the children." What if one of your children turns out to be gay? Wouldn't you want them to be happy? What if the only thing that would make them happy is if he or she were allowed to marry?

I mean, let's say for another example that if someone liked ****ing animals, wouldn't you think they'd rather people not know about the intimate details of their private life?
What does ****ing animals have to do with homosexuality? You're grasping at straws. I haven't seen anyone fighting for their right to **** animals, so let's tackle the issue at hand. The thing is, the state offers tax breaks to married couples. These are citizens of the state, therefore they are tax payers. Animals do not pay taxes, therefore they do not need tax breaks.

being in the majority does not mean you automatically right.
religion,slavery back in 1800's etc.....

being in the majority does not mean you automatically right.
religion,slavery back in 1800's etc.....

But that is the complete beauty of Democracy: what the people want is not necessarily what's good for them.

People will normally make the right decision if they're well informed. But quite often they're not. I suspect this is the case here.
Isn't Maine where they also passed some weird laws about looking at teenagers out in the street?

You can't democratically vote on other peoples freedoms.

As BEnjamin Franklin once said "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Back