Screenshots All Around

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
Released today are a plethora of direct-feed screenshots from videos you have already seen of Episode Two, Team Fortress 2 and Portal. But it's always nice to have high quality shots available to make desktop wallpapers out of. Oh, and shots of the box art with the amazing display of typography for these titles are also published...[br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
newsspacer2.gif
[br]
newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]Said titles are expected to be released to the PC, and the next-generation consoles Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, this upcoming fall 2007 season.[br]For the rest of the released shots, head on over to VE3Dhttp://ve3d.ign.com/articles/764/764485p1.html.

These shots are on all the gaming news sites, but I don't get it, they're just screenshots from the trailers released last summer.

I really hate it when everyone complains about box art, box art alone shouldn't be the reason why you do or don't pick up a game. It's JUST digital art on some paper that is covering a plastic CD/DVD holder.

awesome. Can't wait for this, STILL! <3 Valve.

Awesome.
Cannot wait for these games. They look amazing.

I really hate it when everyone complains about box art, box art alone shouldn't be the reason why you do or don't pick up a game. It's JUST digital art on some paper that is covering a plastic CD/DVD holder.
Ah, but Box-art IS why you'll go and 'pick up' these games through retail channels. Considering that boxed copies of HL2 Episode 1 retailed for double the price of the Steam version in the UK, I think people have a right to expect some seriously good art on the boxed version.

edit: It's almost like these high quality shots are being sneakily distributed to the masses along with the box'art' in order to make everyone want to design their own boxes and buy the steam version instead.

These shots are on all the gaming news sites, but I don't get it, they're just screenshots from the trailers released last summer.
Thanks for reading. :)

Again, these are direct-feed. So they're of the highest possible quality. They're not just screengrabs from a video.

I like the box art, honestly. I think it's clever, and makes me chuckle.

Ah, but Box-art IS why you'll go and 'pick up' these games through retail channels. Considering that boxed copies of HL2 Episode 1 retailed for double the price of the Steam version in the UK, I think people have a right to expect some seriously good art on the boxed version.

edit: It's almost like these high quality shots are being sneakily distributed to the masses along with the box'art' in order to make everyone want to design their own boxes and buy the steam version instead.

Well if box art diminishes people's opinion of buying the game then they need help. As long as the game(s) is(are) good then it doesn't matter.

Wow. Perhaps by using that box art, Valve can save time and release Episode 2 sooner. Eh? Eh?

Wow. Perhaps by using that box art, Valve can save time and release Episode 2 sooner. Eh? Eh?
or they could use any number of pre existing art pics that would have taken no longer than what they have now. Hell Raising the Bar has hundreds of pictures they could of used instead.

The Portal screenie has the OLD portal effect.

kupoartist: Is that true? EP1 Retail was really 2x more expensive than Steam version? Incredible... it was actually cheaper here in Poland. And I thought this has something to do with Steam prices anyway!

Plus I still agree with VE3D comment on this box art. And it's quite funny that these screenshots look pretty the same as half-a-year ago. I mean.. what has Valve really planned for this "delay" time?

Hey, if I'm going to pay via retail I at least expect some sexah box art for my troubles :(

I giggled when I saw the box "art" :D
Granted, the fact that so many different games are included makes designing a cover tough... but c'mon.

Voodoo Extreme said:
(Terrible Box Art - Click To Enlarge!)

They should just whack the illustration of TF2 on the front tbh :p

Ok, so maybe it looks too bland, but at LEAST halflfife2.net won't be flooded with noobs yelling "AHMAGAD WHY DIDNT I GET DIS GAME WITH MAH BOX" :p

;( I want it now!!!!!!!!! Box art is the worst I have ever seen in my entire life btw. *Hey, it's on DVD now.

Well if box art diminishes people's opinion of buying the game then they need help. As long as the game(s) is(are) good then it doesn't matter.

Sure box art is no issues for fans. But what about non fans of the series? those Xbox and PS3 people will glance at the thing and laugh.

Good box-art is a bonus, a good game is why buy it or not.

-dodo

First impressions come from the box art. People see StarCraft and these cool aliens and think "Wow this game is going to have lots of action!". People see the Ep2 box art and think "What's this puzzle game doing in the action section?" etc

What are you talking about? If players haven't even heard of Half Life 2 before and they see that in stores then they're not going to give it 2 seconds. Sure for us we know what the game itself will be like, but it just shows how much consideration EA have for the fans of their games that they can't even be bothered to throw together nice box art.

What are you talking about? If players haven't even heard of Half Life 2 before and they see that in stores then they're not going to give it 2 seconds. Sure for us we know what the game itself will be like, but it just shows how much consideration EA have for the fans of their games that they can't even be bothered to throw together nice box art.
Agreed. It reminds me of those deals that stores do - "buy this game and get one of the games in the orange boxes for free". It looks pretty cheap.

Yeah, and then you can't even sell the ****er on because it has that giant stripe across it saying not for resale.

The way the games are listed on the orange box is odd. You'd think it'd be
Half-Life 2
HL2: Episode One
HL2: Episode Two
Portal
Team Fortress Two

I'm also suprised that they used 'HL2'. They seem don't seem to interested in marketing to impulse buyers at all.

kupoartist: Is that true? EP1 Retail was really 2x more expensive than Steam version? Incredible... it was actually cheaper here in Poland. And I thought this has something to do with Steam prices anyway!

Plus I still agree with VE3D comment on this box art. And it's quite funny that these screenshots look pretty the same as half-a-year ago. I mean.. what has Valve really planned for this "delay" time?

I hope you guys realise that every single one of these screenshots was released before. They are all just snap shots of the videos released a while back.

That's why I'm not keyboard smashing....Nothing to be excited about. I'm kind of in the state of anxious right now. No new media, a delay announced, a TFC2 news post that really didn't say anything. I know its all for the better and all, but man do i want to play.

I'm getting the steam verson so I don't need to worry about the box.

Yeah, the box art sucks... bad. If I didn't know anything about these games and I was buying retail I wouldn't even pick up the box to see what it actually was.

I'm buying from steam anyway :) Half price games ftw!

If a gamer hasn't ever heard of Half-Life 2, ... they should be pimp-slapped and shot.
And it's stupid thinking they did it out of laziness, after all, it's gonna sell nonetheless.
"Can't be bothered" , pfff :sleep:

-dodo

edit: Is that a lens flare in the bottom design :O ? Nice anyway.

are those the actual designs?
I guess EA must've posted those designs as a joke as they know what the HL2 community is like about bitching (including me :D)

If a gamer hasn't ever heard of Half-Life 2, ... they should be pimp-slapped and shot.
And it's stupid thinking they did it out of laziness, after all, it's gonna sell nonetheless.
"Can't be bothered" , pfff :sleep:
I'm really glad you don't work on the marketing team for Valve.

Back