September 11th

This reminds me of something my APUSH teacher told me... on days like that, when the towers were bombed, or (the example she gave) when Kennedy was shot, everybody remembers where they were and everybody has a story.

That is so true. It's like I remember where I was and everything when the London bombings happened.

I was 9 and asked my mom "What's the big deal? People die all the time." What a silly little scamp. But still, yeah.

I remember my grandmother saying something about another terror attack and me not giving a shit.

The planes hitting the towers was the first thing I saw after waking up. I was in the US at the time, and my mother was all like "It was probably North Korea, they do these kinds of stuff all the time."

I went to school, and my American teacher told us stuff I don't remember. I told my friends that North Korea did it, and some guy told me "No, it's likely China", and another guy said something about austrailia, and etc.

I remember thinking, "This is going to eat up the news for a week or so, and everyone will forget."

I got to school and the entire place was in an uproar. I hadn't watched/listened to the news that morning so I had no clue what was going on. There were so many different theories and ideas being thrown around, and I remember somebody telling that Pakistan had started war with the US :S

I was already at home when the first plane flew into the tower. I always watched the news when I came home. I remember looking at the footage of a tower with smoke coming out of it, and thinking "What the hell are the WTC towers?" I was 12.

I walked into the dinner room where my entire family was. I told them "there was... something they had to see". We kept watching the news from then on, and saw the second plane hit.

Was in year 5, my class just sat and watched the news for the day. I realized one of my teachers was American and when i asked her about it, she just looked at me and told me to be quiet.

I didn't even know what the towers were or that they even existed before 9/11

When the planes hit, my school was actually having a fire drill, weird coincidence

I was 14 in my social studies class in 5th? 6th grade? and my teacher was late.
10 minutes later she comes running into the room crying and she turns on the TV... we all stared at the screen as we saw the footage of the burning towers play... no one knew how to comprehend it, my teacher's husband was in the southern tower, after she turned on the TV she basically left the classroom and we were dismissed from school and a town curfew was in effect.

I basically went about my day normally without a care in the world, although I was a bit shaken up by all of the adult's reactions to it. :|

I was playing blackjack in homeroom in 12th grade. Friend walks in and says a plane flew into a tower. I pictured a single engine cessna or something similar and was shocked to find it was a tad bigger. I watched tower two get hit and I don't even remember what I felt....seemed a bit surreal.

The reality hit in the following years when 2 friends were killed in Iraq.

i am from estonia,but i remember seeing it on tv.and i thought it happened in estonia!

I was 14 in my social studies class in 5th? 6th grade? and my teacher was late.
10 minutes later she comes running into the room crying and she turns on the TV... we all stared at the screen as we saw the footage of the burning towers play... no one knew how to comprehend it, my teacher's husband was in the southern tower, after she turned on the TV she basically left the classroom and we were dismissed from school and a town curfew was in effect.

I basically went about my day normally without a care in the world, although I was a bit shaken up by all of the adult's reactions to it. :|

Funny, this is essentially my story as well. Except I remember distinctly being in 7th grade. Our teacher was already ordinarily quiet-lipped and that day was no exception. Her melancholy was amplified tenfold by the tragedy.

The teachers were acting strange and I caught glimpses of it on the lounge TVs. Eventually my Social Studies class was told by the shy acting teacher that we should talk to our parents about something terrible that's happened where a lot of people were hurt. I remember hearing that planes crashed into the towers and thinking "how the hell?" and seeing it on the news when I got home, jaw dropping in disbelief. I'll never forget my walk home from school because I took that time to sort of not believe it at all. I played with a fallen tree branch and dragged it along the way, singing to myself the songs of life.

Just got back from school on a particulary hot day, first week back after the holidays. Saw my mum glued to the tv, I was only 12 but I thought the whole scenerio was insane. Then I saw live footage of the second plane flying into the second tower, and then seeing both towers collapse. The entire experiance was surreal.

Thats when the goverments started being fags...

I was in the house of my grandma where I live at that time and I remenber it
I remenber the news of the first plane didnt get so much attention but when the second one hit it was when things got strange
it really feel very surreal cuz it felt like a movie,I remenber my brother allways saying "its a plan not accident" and the fact that 2 planes hit was enough for it
and everyone allways comenting it and looking at the tv
there was a uncle that was in the house and in like the previous year he was there also amazed by it

I know people say the whole thing should be let to die but I think it dont have to be forgotten that easily
after all is something that did changed the world,the first episode of the century

I thought he was much older :(

...much much older...like a grandfather

I was 14 in class when a teacher got a call from a relative on her phone. I remember her saying "oh my god" and she turned on the TV. The rest of the day school stopped and everybody was glued to the TV. A say day :(.

I was at work, looking at the Boston skyline, as I often did...instead of working. Someone came in to tell me a plane had hit the first tower. I jumped online to see what was happening, and watched things unfold rapidly. As news spread, we gathered around a tiny PC screen to watch live feeds. People were shocked, stunned, but still generally feeling it was just a terrible accident. As the 2nd plane hit, it still felt surreal. Did the first "accident" cause the second? Was the smoke and heat to blame? Not until the plane hit the Pentagon, did we really come to grasp with the concept that this wasn't an accident. This was terror, at it's highest level. We had become prisoners of the media, waiting with baited breath for each new update. Horrified, physically ill.. as we watched people jumping to their deaths to escape the flames. All day, as more information came to light regarding Logan Airport being a start-off point... we peered at the skyline in a much more ominous fashion.

I was 24, naive to the idea that terror could touch us here in the US at such a grand scale, and quite overwhelmed. I will admit, it energized me. It strengthened my political beliefs, it opened my eyes to the utter inhumanity that exists on this planet, and steeled my resolve to voice my opinions on injustices. Whether you are a fan of GWBush or not, the man led this nation through one of the most terrifying experiences we've shared as a whole. He cried with us, fought for us, and made us remember that we are only victims if we allow ourselves to be.

The 3000 people who died that day, and all those who will suffer for their entire lives with the memories, the physical side effects, and the trauma... they are what matter. For them, we must never forget. Regardless of your nationality, more than likely a countryman/woman was a victim that day. This tragedy occurred on US soil, yes, but remember: the victims represented approximately 90 countries throughout the world.

Perhaps it's because I'm a bit more.. ahem.. aged.. then most.. but, yes.. this feels like the recollections my parents have of when JFK was killed. It's a moment in my personal history that will always remain vivid.

I actually don't remember that day at all. I remember exactly how I heard about 7/7 though. I was at a summer course up the country and I was listening to the radio when I heard about it happening. Talked to people about it all day and then bought a newspaper the first thing the day after.

I was 11. The teacher was just taking roll and a woman stepped in, told her to turn on the TV and that "we just got bombed." She turned on the TV and we all watched. We didn't do anything all that day, we just watched the TV in the classrooms. I remember saying we should go home, because everyone went home when JFK was shot. I was a little shit.

I was in second grade and the teacher told us and I was like "WTF is the World Trade Center?".

I remember growing up and my parents telling me about the JFK Assassination and the Cuba Missile Crisis. I understood historically what had happened, but it never really "affected" me. I now see strong parallels between that and 9/11 and the Iraq/Afghanistan Wars in terms of how it affected people. 9/11 was one of those things that affected me and the entire University I was attending. You look on this board and I'd say that anybody that was 14 or younger (rough approximation) at the time, wasn't able to understand the impact it had on older people.

For somebody like me, 9/11 is the JFK assassination of the previous generation.

I remember saying we should go home, because everyone went home when JFK was shot. I was a little shit.

I laugh'd.

I was 13 when I found out, at around 9:30PM in Grade 9, just as everyone was moving from their first class to their second. One kid walked up to us and told us that a couple planes had hit the World Trade Center. I laughed, because I didn't believe something like that could happen. Then a second kid told us the same thing, and I told him to "stop screwing with me." Then our music teacher told us. D:

I went to church with my friends that day, and we were told by our pastor to take a few minutes of silence to really think about what happened, and what it meant to us. We spent an hour discussing the events in the context of religion.

A week later, I was an atheist.

I was walking home from middle school, I forget the year/grade I was in, and I was just going to meet my mom in the school she works in. I found her and she told me straight away what had happened. I had no idea what the Twin Towers were. Honestly, I was totally ignorant to it. As far as I can remember to this day, I can't recall me being either sad, shocked or anything. It was just ''huh'', really.

The whole thing didn't dawn on me til about a year later, maybe more than that. I didn't care much for news or papers then, and I don't even recall there being much talk about it in school. Seriously odd now that I think about it.

Truely saddening stuff. Rest in peace all those involved.

I was at home, I walked into the living room and my grandfather, who was staying over at the time, was watching TV with my Dad and they both looked shit scared. They were also worried cus my Dad's cousin, this guy, was in the Pentagon at the time.

I remember coming home from school, and eating my tea, and my parents were glued to the TV. I didn't really understand what had happened at first, but meh.

What he said...^

Kinda worse though...:|

ill begin mourning the citezens of the us when they start mourning for all of the deaths the U.S goverment caused in Iraq,Avghanistan (except the talibans),Vietnam and Serbia

ill begin mourning the citezens of the us when they start mourning for all of the deaths the U.S goverment caused in Iraq,Avghanistan (except the talibans),Vietnam and Serbia

I'll begin sorry for you when you learn to grow up.

Back