SimCity 5 Announcement

What on god's green earth are you talking about, I see no spiders scurrying!

Jesus Christ Maxis surely put something in the water. The serine music rocks you into an odd sort of Sim trance and you lose track of all space and time and neglect your surroundings. Why isn't this shit out and oh god

I was going to be getting this, but Arma 3 Alpha starts on the same day so I might hold off until a sale or something.

Jesus Christ Maxis surely put something in the water. The serine music rocks you into an odd sort of Sim trance and you lose track of all space and time and neglect your surroundings. Why isn't this shit out and oh god
Great.... why do I get the feeling I'm going lose my recently gained place at uni now? Damn you, Maxis!

They put something in it...to make you forget. I don't even remember how I got the beta.

"So why is that a problem? Because despite the game being saved on that oh-so ethereal cloud, your cities are still server-specific. Want to play that city? Sit in the queue for that server."

Wow. WOW. This is ****ing hilarious. Even I didn't think it would be this bad.

It's pretty crazy how it waits half an hour before it tries to connect again. That's quite a long time! Why not a queue system? Surely people will be leaving during that 30 minute window...

Holding off a long time to get this... if at all.

Yeah, I think I'll pass on this one, at least for a long while.

It's pretty crazy how it waits half an hour before it tries to connect again. That's quite a long time! Why not a queue system? Surely people will be leaving during that 30 minute window...

Holding off a long time to get this... if at all.
I assume it's to stop people accidentally DDOSing the servers and ****ing up the currently connected users' games by spamming join requests.

Has worked without a hitch since launch for me. West Europe 1 server.

edit: wow, look at all this alarmist bullshit. haha.

Yayy I beat the first level. Now for level 2: The loading screen.

I should get my copy (UK) in the morning, hopefully by then they'll have added the new servers they're all promising so I don't have to go through any of this bullshit.

You'll be fine, everything is stable now and this "removal of features" stuff is something people read, but don't actually read. It's Gawker level group think.

But then again, **** EA.

Polygon have lowered their review to four out of ten. Amusing but it seems like blatant pandering to public opinion,

Polygon have lowered their review to four out of ten. Amusing but it seems like blatant pandering to public opinion,

Will they re-re-review after launch issues are fixed? :banghead:

I think lowering a review score is totally stupid, as the game mechanics and presentation etc could be perfectly arranged but due to poor preparation and business management by EA, the game suffers slightly in the short term. EA and Origin should get the major criticism, not Maxis or the game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21712910

Just read this. Seems to be a lot of hate for the new SC.
I think lowering a review score is totally stupid, as the game mechanics and presentation etc could be perfectly arranged but due to poor preparation and business management by EA, the game suffers slightly in the short term. EA and Origin should get the major criticism, not Maxis or the game.
Agreed, **** EA.

Can't they just write ****ing articles and drop the pretentious crap.

This game is pretty fun. I'm at the point though where I don't have any idea what to do next... I have a 105k pop, but I can't really progress in the region I'm at since there's no one else playing in my region anymore. >_<

I'm going to start a new city later tonight. Hopefully, I can play with some friends. Add me on Origin! I believe my name is... Shamrock013... Not sure though. :p

Totally serious when I say this: Shamrock, you are the first person I've seen to NOT bad mouth the game. Aside from the shitty connection issues, how is the actual game?

The only two issues really are the conection issues (A biggy, I managed to have a 2 hour playthrough 6:00 this morning, and now I can't get onto any server) and the City Size.

I think the biggest problem for players is that data for their singeplayer cities is not used on other servers, so if you lose connection, you lose the city for an undertermined amount of time.

You do have some fun using the different color correction tools.

This is my town back in 1979
Spark_2013-03-08_07-05-12_zps74d3d0f5.png

Honestly, I think it's a great game. I only played a few Sim City games over the course of my lifetime, but this one just looked like I needed to play it.

Anyway, I essentially have to source my own power, sewage, tourism, industry, etc... because like I said previously, there is no one else in my region. I've been trying to build to get a huge population, but of course, with all that I built, I can't do that since there's no more room for expansion. It also doesn't help that I have a river right next to my plot of land. There are a few random things that I don't quite understand yet such as germs... I have 4 areas specifically that make absolutely no sense that there are germs there, and my people keep getting sick. I haven't had any traffic hold ups either which is weird.. I hear people complaining so hard about traffic, and I've not experienced that once. Sure, there are a few roads that are red every once in a while, but it's never been an issue I had to address. I'll play more tonight, and I'll let you know if there are any other things I don't like. Also, when I get a few other players (hopefully, friends) with me, then I can focus on a single specialization instead of trying to get mining and education and tourism in one town... :p

There's a few nitpicky things here and there such as buildings. I wish I could control what buildings get placed, but I think it would break the flow of the game. By buildings, I mean the shops, industry, and residential. There was one thing I'm thinking of now that is kind of odd and annoying at the same time, but it's purely speculative on my part. I had 2 natural disasters, earthquake and a tornado. Both times, they started RIGHT under/over my power plant. I wouldn't be bothered if it happened in 2 different locations, and like I said, it's purely speculative, but if the game keeps trying to take out my power plant first and foremost, I'm going to be pissed. I'd rather have it completely random and anywhere in the city, but it's like they designed it to specifically take out power so you're struggling.

Anyway, ask away and I'll try and answer as best I can, Doggy.

I hear people complaining so hard about traffic, and I've not experienced that once
Ah... I remember getting pissed with the traffic in the original SC and ended up creating a city where the entire transport system was entirely rail! No pollution, no hold ups, no complaining... ah, the days.....

But I agree with Dog... Apart from you and BHC, I've not heard much in the way of good comments. :(

But I agree with Dog... Apart from you and BHC, I've not heard much in the way of good comments. :(
Because the online community has once arisen to discuss how "butthurt" they are. While I agree that annoying design choices like Origin-Only, Always Online, etc do hamper the experience for the player, I'll refer back to my previous comment and once again say that people aren't actually objectively judging the game as a game and a sequel. They're judging EA's poor marketing, planning and distribution systems and taking it out on the game itself, when I doubt many developers/designers at Maxis actually had a say in the always online/DRM bullshit. And when I say "They're", I of course mean the vast majority of gamers I've heard from over the past few days, not everybody.

Because the online community has once arisen to discuss how "butthurt" they are. While I agree that annoying design choices like Origin-Only, Always Online, etc do hamper the experience for the player, I'll refer back to my previous comment and once again say that people aren't actually objectively judging the game as a game and a sequel. They're judging EA's poor marketing, planning and distribution systems and taking it out on the game itself, when I doubt many developers/designers at Maxis actually had a say in the always online/DRM bullshit. And when I say "They're", I of course mean the vast majority of gamers I've heard from over the past few days, not everybody.
To be perfectly honest, I am dying to play it. It looks awesome. I fully believe that the game itself is great, and Shamrock and BHC's comments only solidify that belief.
But..... I refuse to spend my money on a game with this level of issues until they are properly resolved. I'll wait til a sale. Hopefully by then the strain on the servers will have eased and the loading issues will have been fixed.
Also, this always online thing is ridiculous. It's up there with pay-to-play, in my book.
'Do you have internet? No? Then put the game back!'
Ok, I know not many people with pc's do not have internet these days, but there are still those who don't have a flat rate, and pay for bandwidth.
/rant over.... (been a bad day...)

You'll be fine, everything is stable now and this "removal of features" stuff is something people read, but don't actually read. It's Gawker level group think.

But then again, **** EA.

This was taken 5 minutes ago, I think we're gonna need a bigger server. I like how it says I'm free to join any server. It should read "Are you free to join any Server?"

Simcity_zps5d308430.png

I'll refer back to my previous comment and once again say that people aren't actually objectively judging the game as a game and a sequel. They're judging EA's poor marketing, planning and distribution systems and taking it out on the game itself, when I doubt many developers/designers at Maxis actually had a say in the always online/DRM bullshit.
Well, the DRM is part of the game, whether you or Maxis want to admit it or not. Its a feature that player must experience when they buy the game, and if it sucks, it affects the experience of the game as a whole. A tiny little mouse turd on one slice of pizza still ruins the whole pizza for most people. Guess you, BHC and Shamrock are just man enough / desperate enough to eat the whole thing, turd and all.

*looks at Steam Library*

I think EA is finally better than Valve at something.

They have successfully trumped them at selling games people don't play.

Well, the DRM is part of the game, whether you or Maxis want to admit it or not. Its a feature that player must experience when they buy the game, and if it sucks, it affects the experience of the game as a whole. A tiny little mouse turd on one slice of pizza still ruins the whole pizza for most people. Guess you, BHC and Shamrock are just man enough / desperate enough to eat the whole thing, turd and all.

I know exactly where you're coming from, I just think the whole "let's all mark it as 0 on metacritic" bullshit that has happened this week once again is totally stupid and a massive overreaction.

Balanced pretty well by total stupidity and massive under-preparation on the part of EA.

Well I mean it depends on if you're rating the game itself or rating on a 'likeliness to buy this' scale. A turd on a pizza doesn't make the pizza itself any worse, but I would rate it 0/10 on a 'would I eat it' scale.

I know exactly where you're coming from, I just think the whole "let's all mark it as 0 on metacritic" bullshit that has happened this week once again is totally stupid and a massive overreaction.
They're simply trying to send a message to EA, and the only message EA will understand is if the profits suffer. This is why I made my post earlier about how it sucks more for Maxis than it does for EA.

Back