Slugs & Steel: A Half Life 2 Mod

E

ephesus

Slugs & Steel will be the most complete, reality based, first person shooter that gamers will see in a long time. There will be no health meters, crosshairs or on screen ammo. You don't like realism? you wont like S&S. Each "scenario" will have its own map, character sets, era accurate weapons, and objectives. Scenarios in S&S will range from midieval Europe using flintlocks, crossbows, and longbows, to the far future using conceptual weapons and armor. Some more scenarios include: the American Revolution, the Civil War, The old west, WWI and II, the Mob, Vietnam, Terrorism, the post apocalypse, and everything in between. S&S will boast a massive arsenal of guns, weapons, and equipment. Check out the website for more info.
--Ephesus
The Slugs & Steel Website

interesting.... but how are you going to make a realistic future :p?

/me watches nonetheless

:)

Dont make it too realistic m8, it wont be fun playing it if its too realistic.

Sounds like a mod that's never going to happen.
You can't really blame me for saying that, I'm from Finland. We finns usually are skeptical and depressed etc :bounce: :cheese:

If it's not going to have crosshairs, will it have ironsights?

yeah, i'll give you 100/1 odds that this mod will never see the light of day. It's a nice idea, just too damn big, and no concept of how it's actually gonna be done. Plus no crosshairs is stupid, I usually just stick a marker dot on my screen if I can't have a crosshair

I agree.. but most off the mods mentioned here are never going to make it. so no big deal

umm no offense but ur gun list is extreme.. way to many guns..

Originally posted by EVIL
I agree.. but most off the mods mentioned here are never going to make it. so no big deal

sad, but true... I hope we make it :)

Even IF all those guns are finished, how about the 500 textures, 30 maps, 100 player models, 5000 animations, 300 wave sounds, 20 music scores and most of all, the DesignDoc with 100000 pages and artwork ?

I wish you good luck nonetheless.

wow we are ripping on his mod bad... lets just leave him alone and see if he/they can pull it off.. :)

Just wondering.... what do you lot make of Grate Expectations..... thats kinda the same concept.... but slightly more ambitious.... if thats possible

I think we all wish him gd luck anyway

:cheers:

Im sorry but i dont care wot u lot think i think this sounds like a great mod a few suggestions, if u have no health bar there should be a way to know if ure about to die like having blood dripping and have ure health slowly decrease and if certain body parts get hit u lose abillities such as :arm(cant use certain heavy weapons), legs u have to crawl around, head (blurred vision and bleeding), torso( bleeding) etc...

nooooo too much realism..... I reckon the idea is good..... but realism... nooooo :(

ah well... :p

Realism is cool, but IMHO, realism is not what games are about. if I want real, I can go outside and marvel at the anti-aliasing on the leaves. Then again, I can't find a gun and start blasting away, no matter how fun that would be. I prefer either slight unreality or ultimate unreality (jumping from building to building, using a sword in modern day and successfully destroying legions of troops).

Ok, ok, first off your not going to need to put a "dot on your screen. there will be an aim button (default mouse 2), when pressed the gun will lift and you aim through the actual sights or scope, when the gun is down (default fps positioning) your shots will be about as accurate as shooting a real gun without aiming; not very.
second, I will be totally revamping the "Arsenal" page, as I realize that, even if possible, what modeler would do all that for free???
Anyway, Ive added/changed a LOT on the page to clarify what were trying to go for.
About S&S : LOTS of info here, must see, this has all the general info
Scenarios : were not having 30 maps that suck, with about 5 good ones, were doing a handful of maps that have unique characters, weapons and objectives, high detail and quality
The Team : i added our credentials, these are not ameutur people, in fact i'm the most unexperienced in schooling, but have the most mod experience, and PR skills
Please check these out and gimme some more feedback, i really do appreciate the critisism, b/c it gives me motivation. --Ephesus
Oh yeah, this mod WILL be.

well if it was me i would need a team the size of valve to get just the skins for the guns done, but hey kudos to you if you can do it. give me a Email if you need a beta tester.

[email protected]

Originally posted by ephesus
this mod WILL be

Whoa! The determination emanating off of that statement has singed my fingers! Good luck, and if you need anyone to annoy the people on your forums (once they're up) give me a call.

EDIT - I went to the "Arsenal" section and...I'm kind of dubious. 59 Weapons? Holy cr@p! How are you going to make every weapon a different experience? - EDIT

Yeah those were only manufacturers too, haha that would mean hundreds of guns... anyway im redoing the arsenal but all together we hope to have about 100 guns in S&S.
The real only bad thing that will happen to this mod is that it takes a lot longer than im hoping (which i'm sure it will,) but since i will be attending Digipen over the next 2 years I plan on using this to help me get a head start in the industry once I graduate. I've been messing with modding and editing since the early days of Doom, so this is to see if it was worth it. Im just am not worried that I will cancel, or forget about it.
My problem right now is finding weapon/character modelers,animators, and texture artists that are skilled and want to comit to this
--Ephesus

IMO this sounds too ambitious. a 100 guns would be to insane. but if you can pull it off itll be pretty sick.

C'mon people! He even says in the into that if you don't like realism then you wont like the mod. If you don't like over the top realism, then dont play it ! It's that simple! It may fail because it's too ambitious, not becasue it attempts realism. Don't start the same old realism is bad debate, it isn't relevent. Not everyone thinks like you! Hell I dont like realism - but plenty of people bought (and liked) operation flashpoint.

Before someone replies telling me to calm down, I'd like to state that my blood pressure is 125/80 my heartrate is 65 bpm and I feel just fine.

hahahaha, are you like always wired then?

were gonna take mad time with each scenario, and each scenario will have its own characters map, and era accurate guns, the initial release will have around 6 to 8 scanarios, and the we will release scenario packs every so once in a while, our goal is quality, if people like the game we'll keep working on it, and we will eventually have that many guns, im guessing the release will have around 40

--Ephesus

Originally posted by ephesus
Ok, ok, first off your not going to need to put a "dot on your screen. there will be an aim button (default mouse 2), when pressed the gun will lift and you aim through the actual sights or scope, when the gun is down (default fps positioning) your shots will be about as accurate as shooting a real gun without aiming; not very.

hmmm, well someones been playing Veitcong too much...And this idea is the same concept Vietnam Mode in it (cept dif time periods ?!?), which is actually quite good, but supplies a counter for the amount of clips you hold...
Good fun, until some TK comes on... there are way too many of them on the servers :flame:

Back