So... Freaking... Hot

jet_porkins

Reaction score
It's been a hundred degrees here the last couple of days, which is unusual for the Pacific Northwest to have a heat wave of 100 last this long.

I have the worst farmer's tan I've ever had.

This heat is killing me. KILLING ME I TELL YOU

We even had our own article, written today:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32199224/ns/weather/

Who's hot?

Cold and ****ing pissing it down here, supposed to be the summer. I love it though makes me know im home.

Yesterday, after getting scorched (100F, once again) from walking around all day, I was relieved to cool down in my own house because it was only 86 degrees on the inside.

D:

Yeah 37c is pretty hot. I've been in Madrid when it was about 40 though, that was intense.

We had those a couple of weeks ago. Now we are hitting steady mid 80 F.

The summer in the uk is officially over.

Yeah 37c is pretty hot. I've been in Madrid when it was about 40 though, that was intense.

I've been in madrid when it's been scorching hot ..but Toronto can be worse than Madrid because madrid is a dry heat whereas it gets really humid here which is unbearable at times. Madrid's heat is unrelenting and intense but I prefer it to humidity that makes it had to breathe. yesterday, even though it was 24C it felt like 32C because of the humdity. this summer's been shitty but it's not uncommon for the humidity to push the temp to near 40C

the worst heat I've experienced was in the south of spain on the coast line (alicante) ..goddam muggy all the time with next to no breeze. I spent many a sleepless night sweating my arse off in alicante

I've been in madrid when it's been scorching hot ..but Toronto can be worse than Madrid because madrid is a dry heat whereas it gets really humid here which is unbearable at times. Madrid's heat is unrelenting and intense but I prefer it to humidity that makes it had to breathe. yesterday, even though it was 24C it felt like 32C because of the humdity. this summer's been shitty but it's not uncommon for the humidity to push the temp to near 40C

Yeah humid heat is worse, I've been in 34 degrees I think in SL with something like 98% humidity.
I tried to stay in the pool or in rooms with A/C :p

Stop complaining, it's been cold and rainy almost the whole of July here. And not much more than 15C in the daytime.

It's not that the weather here is particularly bad, it's just that you never know when it's going to strike. This year our summer ran from April through June, July was like late October and August is forecast to rain all month too. It's just shit. Especially when you consider we had beach weather down here from the middle of February.

Stop complaining, it's been cold and rainy almost the whole of July here. And not much more than 15C in the daytime.

It's not that the weather here is particularly bad, it's just that you never know when it's going to strike. This year our summer ran from April through June, July was like late October and August is forecast to rain all month too. It's just shit. Especially when you consider we had beach weather down here from the middle of February.

This wouldn't have happened to you if you guys had won the war.

USA

OP: I feel your pain - I'm in Portland, OR. The worst part isn't so much that it is as hot as it's been, but that the buildings in this area haven't been built to withstand heat like this. The 2nd level in my house, for example, used to be an attic and has piss poor ventilation and air flow. I've also noticed that not everyone around here (business, specifically restaurants) necessarily has air conditioning, or if they do, effective air conditioning, which makes escaping to somewhere else a bit of a guessing game.

This wouldn't have happened to you if you guys had won the war.

USA

Fail. Some douchebag decided to settle on an island where the weather is entirely dependent on which way the wind is blowing at any particular moment. Unfortunately I descended from that douchebag. They should build a mile high wall off the north coast of Scotland, that would send a pretty clear message to the Arctic winds!

I hate massive heatwaves. Particularly in summer, because out here in Australia we get some of the worst bushfires in the world at that time.

Just this February, 173 people were killed on one day because of these bushfires.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_2009_Victorian_bushfires

I guess you can at least be glad you don't get these kind of bushfires.

It's been pissing it down all day here. I got absolutely soaked taking my dog for a walk, yet he decided he didn't want to walk and instead swam in a pretty big puddle.

It's raining in Toronto right now. On and off all week.

High 80s/low 90s lately in NC, our super hot month already happened (upper 90s/100 all the time). And humid. Ugh.

Anyone complaining about good weather who isn't suffering from CONSTANT BRITISH RAIN ALL BASTARD WEEK can go to hell.

We are having what seems to be the coolest summer in my lifetime over on the east coast. It's great.

The AC in my room has been broken for two years. My room is 20 degrees warmer then the rest of my house, not exaggerating the slightest bit. It has two windows, and both windows are facing so no matter how cold it is out side, the wind doesn't come in. Freakin horrible.

Anyone complaining about good weather who isn't suffering from CONSTANT BRITISH RAIN ALL BASTARD WEEK can go to hell.

Damn right. I'm starting to think that Canadian weather wouldn't be so bad. At least you know it's going to be cold in the winter and nice in the summer. We just have varying degrees of mediocrity, and we probably suffer more in the winter too because it's not cold enough to prepare for it. We just wear the same shit all year round and freeze.

Where do you live anyway? Rains all the ****ing time in Devon. I'd say twice as much as it rains in London.

I honestly don't mind rain. Heat is worse. My door has been stiff for a while and right now I am unable to leave my room, which is slowly filling with my own sweat. It was bad enough when the carpet was soaked and stunk but now it's up to my ankles. I fear I may drown.

I honestly don't mind rain. Heat is worse. My door has been stiff for a while and right now I am unable to leave my room, which is slowly filling with my own sweat. It was bad enough when the carpet was soaked and stunk but now it's up to my ankles. I fear I may drown.

You'd like my house then. It's a 500 year old listed building made of stone, single glazed and nothing lines up properly so there are gaps between the windows and the frames etc. In the evenings it's cold inside most of the time, even in summer. At the moment I'm wearing a jumper and a dressing gown on top of my clothes. Some winter's nights I would get home in all my winter motorbike gear, and I would keep all of it on all night and I'd be sitting here shivering.

Incidentally, I'm moving next weekend...

I used to quite enjoy the climate in the UK...and then I started being an outdoorsy sort of person. Now it just pisses me the **** off because you can't plan ANYTHING. Sunday we've got a big bike run to Weymouth planned and it looks like that's the second event in the last month that's going to be cancelled because of the weather. In Scotland and the Lakes we got rained on a lot and it was very cold for early June, when just the previous week we had a heatwave. It's no wonder people take their holidays abroad, if you went down to Cornwall and then hit a week of rain you'd be guaranteed a thoroughly miserable time at your expense. Supposed to be doing a couple of camping weekends this month too but that's definitely in question now.

Yup. It's been in the 90s or 100s for a week or two now.

Don't worry. Some areas of the world are experiencing mildly colder winters, and therefore we're in a Global Cooling time period!
:upstare:

It's unnatural for us to live in these inhospitable cold climates. The UK is very mild compared to continental Europe, North America etc. but you still probably couldn't survive the weather here for more than three or four months of the year without clothing and shelter. This thought occured to me when I was on my way home from work in January and it was a couple degrees above and pissing it down with rain, and I looked at one of the road signs and thought "how artificial all these towns are, we shouldn't be able to live here".

So why do I have to get stuck with the shitty weather? I say we colonise Africa, that's where we belong!

It's unnatural for us to live in these inhospitable cold climates. The UK is very mild compared to continental Europe, North America etc. but you still probably couldn't survive the weather here for more than three or four months of the year without clothing and shelter. This thought occured to me when I was on my way home from work in January and it was a couple degrees above and pissing it down with rain, and I looked at one of the road signs and thought "how artificial all these towns are, we shouldn't be able to live here".

So why do I have to get stuck with the shitty weather? I say we colonise Africa, that's where we belong!

People are exceptional at producing clothing and shelter to help them survive extremes though.

You have your desert nomads who thrive in deadly hot environments, mainly due to their clothing.

You also have natives like those in Alaska and Canada who survive that bitter cold due to their diet, clothing and their unique shelters.

Throw the majority of britainers into a warm climate they will get fed up of the heat after a while. The heat doesn't bother me, since we had it earlier this summer, but it gets annoying after a while, and I'd rather it be cold than hot, at least you can sleep at night.

Oh, we can survive in it alright - but it's not conducive to our well-being. In the more northern parts of Canada from what I gather life practically goes on hold for six months a year. You can't travel much beyond your town and it's cold enough to make things disintegrate.

I know how much happier it makes me feel when the sky is blue and I can just sit outside in a t-shirt and soak up the heat. That's our natural habitat. It's not even cold in southern England, the Carolinas are colder in the middle of winter, but most of the time it's too cold to just enjoy relaxing outdoors.

The summer - when we have one, as the weather is so changeable here - gives pleasant temperatures, but that leaves three seasons when it's too cold. From camping I discovered that even mild temperatures leave you really damn cold when you're out in it constantly without doing anything.

It's nice to be at one with the environment rather than having to fight it.

If you don't like the weather in Scotland, wait a minute.

Fukken true!

I'm t'up north. Yorkshire.

Damn. Your weather really sucks up there. I was in Cumbria at the beginning of June and it didn't get above 10 degrees while I was in the area, even though it was sunny. There was this permanent chill in the air up there that just never seems to go away. I remember how surprised I was when I was coming back home in one day from the Scottish borders and I put a jumper and neckwarmer on in anticipation of nightfall and the inevitable cold, but...it didn't get cold. It was no colder down here at night than it was in Dumfries at midday. That said the bigger shock was how early it got dark. :)

If you don't like the weather in Scotland, wait a minute.

You got that right. In the Highlands you can pass through four different weather systems in 10 miles, it's crazy. Pissed me off after a while when I wore summer kit and got soaked and then wore thermals and got baked. And then soaked. And then baked. And then hailed on. And then baked some more.

Throw the majority of britainers into a warm climate they will get fed up of the heat after a while. The heat doesn't bother me, since we had it earlier this summer, but it gets annoying after a while, and I'd rather it be cold than hot, at least you can sleep at night.

If the weather was hot for more than a couple of weeks a year, we'd all have aircon so that wouldn't be an issue. :)

As I always say(and yes, I ALWAYS say this), better to be cold and throw on a sweater or jacket than be hot and have to endure that sticky sweat or take a shower.

Back