So they just showed the surprise at E3?

[Matt]

Reaction score
Gabe Newell came on stage and did a quick short for portal 2... and the surprise is its being released on PS3 as well as the other platforms??? Did I understand that correctly?

I would be so disappointed if this is true. All the hype and they just come out with this? Sigh....

Why this is in the Ep3 forum I will never know.

Unless you tell me.

because he was expecting to see a trailer for EP3...

That's the weakest rationale I've ever heard!

So if I was expecting L4D2 content, I am allowed to make a thread like this in there?

This is no way to do business.

It's a metaphor, for how that announcement was supposed to be ep 3.

You keep using that word but I don't think it means what you think it means.

YOU'RE A METAPHOR!

charliek.jpg

caps

There is no caps filter anymore.

Oh I'm just relentless.

Looks rather nice. Looks like some work on the motion blur, perhaps object-baesd now? :)

Gabe Newell came on stage and did a quick short for portal 2... and the surprise is its being released on PS3 as well as the other platforms??? Did I understand that correctly?

Were you expecting episode 3 even though valve said the surprise was about portal 2?

Moron.

Where's HL3? Did I miss it???

I didn't see any HL3 trailer, just that Portal 2 game, which is absolutely ghey.

Just like your avatar.

Why people expected a EP3 trailer even though the suprise was said to be Portal 2 related is beyond me.

I expected a Portal 2 related surprise but I am also confident that Valve, having learned from their mistake, will provide two surprises the next time they have a surprise. One surprise for people who own a PlayStation 3 as their only means of playing anything, and a surprise for everyone else.

I was expecting this. Whats even more sad is that portal 2 isn't being released til 2011. That means half-life 3 could be 2012!?!

If anyone thinks it is still an episode your are nuts. They are not going to take 5 years to make a 5 hour game. May as well make a half-life 3 section now.

You're a total idiot if you think they're going to make HL3. Why would they make HL3 (which means it has to be an entire new story arc) when they haven't even finished with the current story line.

Well as a PS3 owner, I'm glad that Gabe is showing more respect for the Playstation, he royally slagged it off not so long back.

Anyway, no Episode 3/Half Life 3/Something 3 whatever the flipping 3 it is, of which let's face it, was obvious, just gotta do what we always do being a fan of Half Life: Wait. :thumbs:

Dude, they can name it HL3.

Portal 2 will suck btw. It's a waste of money, my guarantees.

rlly, who cares about PS3.. they call that a BIG suprise ?! wtf! well i guess everything Gabe announces is a "big" suprise..

who cares about PS3..
Actually, I care. I own a PS3, and I will buy Portal 2 for the PS3 if I can't update my computer by whenever it will be released. I won't like it, but I will.

If anyone thinks it is still an episode your are nuts. They are not going to take 5 years to make a 5 hour game. May as well make a half-life 3 section now.

There isn't anything stopping them from calling it Episode Three and making it a full game.

Actually, I care. I own a PS3, and I will buy Portal 2 for the PS3 if I can't update my computer by whenever it will be released. I won't like it, but I will.

There isn't anything stopping them from calling it Episode Three and making it a full game.

This & this.

Episode Two was kinda longer than an episode as well.

I'm fairly sure it will be Episode 3, someone uploaded a screenshot of a auto mail response from Valve, one part said (abet in a sarcastic tone) for why HL2: Ep3 is taking so long, contact this email. And an contact email for L4D2 not taking long enough which gave me a chuckle.

So if Valve are still referring to it as Episode 3, it's safe to assume it will be Episode 3.

You're a total idiot if you think they're going to make HL3. Why would they make HL3 (which means it has to be an entire new story arc) when they haven't even finished with the current story line.

Excuse me for using common sense. It took 6 years to release half-life 2 after half-life. Another 2 years to release episode 1 and another year to release episode 2. If a release does not come until 2012 that would be 5 years. Valve has also stated that they meant to name it Half-life 3: Episode x. If it is a full out game they will not give it the title "episode".

Also, things have gone to hell since we lost saw Alyx and the death of Eli. I'm sure valve originally intended to make a half-life episode 3 before now, but why since they were making more money with l4d? Plus, the whole episodic idea was not a very good idea. They did not gain any new buyers from half-life episode 1. Half-life 2 however has many players that still have never played the original game.

This world is about money. L4D and L4D2 have been money makers for valve. Half-life and Half-life 2 were also money makers. I'm sure the orange box did well. However, I do not know of a soul who played episode 1 before playing half-life 2. With this its obvious that half-life episode 1 did not do as well as its counterparts. Half-life 3 would not only bring in new players and buyers, it would encourage these new players to buy half-life 2 as well. Don't believe me? Maybe you should go check out the fall out series. Funny how you can find all there original games on the shelf again.

So if Valve are still referring to it as Episode 3, it's safe to assume it will be Episode 3.

That email looks almost professional to me...

Excuse me for using common sense. It took 6 years to release half-life 2 after half-life. Another 2 years to release episode 1 and another year to release episode 2. If a release does not come until 2012 that would be 5 years. Valve has also stated that they meant to name it Half-life 3: Episode x. If it is a full out game they will not give it the title "episode".

Also, things have gone to hell since we lost saw Alyx and the death of Eli. I'm sure valve originally intended to make a half-life episode 3 before now, but why since they were making more money with l4d? Plus, the whole episodic idea was not a very good idea. They did not gain any new buyers from half-life episode 1. Half-life 2 however has many players that still have never played the original game.

This world is about money. L4D and L4D2 have been money makers for valve. Half-life and Half-life 2 were also money makers. I'm sure the orange box did well. However, I do not know of a soul who played episode 1 before playing half-life 2. With this its obvious that half-life episode 1 did not do as well as its counterparts. Half-life 3 would not only bring in new players and buyers, it would encourage these new players to buy half-life 2 as well. Don't believe me? Maybe you should go check out the fall out series. Funny how you can find all there original games on the shelf again.

That email looks almost professional to me...

First off, they've never once stated they meant to call it "Half-Life3: Episode X". The only thing they've said regarding the naming was that they shouldn't have used the term episode in the sense that they weren't promising regular releases. They simply called them episodes because they wanted to deliver the games more rapidly instead of having one game six years later. Also, the name Half-Life 3 infers that there is it is a new story-arc, different from HL2. HL3 will be as similar to HL2 as HL2 was to HL1.

First off, they've never once stated they meant to call it "Half-Life3: Episode X". The only thing they've said regarding the naming was that they shouldn't have used the term episode in the sense that they weren't promising regular releases. They simply called them episodes because they wanted to deliver the games more rapidly instead of having one game six years later. Also, the name Half-Life 3 infers that there is it is a new story-arc, different from HL2. HL3 will be as similar to HL2 as HL2 was to HL1.

According to game informer valve is considering canning half-life episode 3 all together if they have not already. The entire episodic series was to be released by Christmas of 2007, and as we all know that didn't happen. Valve has also stated many times that it should have been named Half-life 3:episode x. Don't make me post more sources to prove you wrong.

http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=161435
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6246873.html
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Half-Life-2-Might-Never-Get-Episode-3-132588.shtml

@ ramsfan.

When HL3 comes out, I will offer you an internet handshake and an internet cigar to virtually smoke in the satisfaction of being correct.

I didn't expect anything and, SURPRISE, we didn't get anything!! No dissapointment that way ;)

According to game informer valve is considering canning half-life episode 3 all together if they have not already. The entire episodic series was to be released by Christmas of 2007, and as we all know that didn't happen. Valve has also stated many times that it should have been named Half-life 3:episode x. Don't make me post more sources to prove you wrong.

http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=161435
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6246873.html
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Half-Life-2-Might-Never-Get-Episode-3-132588.shtml

According to game informer. Right. Unless they reveal that their information comes from Valve, that's nothing but conjecture, and proves nothing. There has been no word from Valve to indicate that HL3 is coming up, so you have no grounds on which to assume that. Furthermore, skipping right ahead to HL3 would **** shit up. Like MacBowes said, HL3 will presumably be to HL2 what HL2 is to HL1, i.e., completely different, with new characters, a completely new set of story events, quite possibly set further in the future and with lots of new engine technology. I'm pretty sure Valve have stated that Episode 3 is to conclude the current story arc, not start a whole new one. We've got shit to do on the Borealis before we scoot off into the future again.
It can also be expected that HL3 will take around 6 years, since that's what HL2 took. Not 3-4 years. Bear in mind that while they made HL2, they were focussed pretty much entirely on that one project, while episode 3 has had Portal 2, L4D2 and all the downloadable content for TF2 to distract them from it. A full out HL3 the same length as HL2 would therefore probably take longer than 6 years.

I admit readily that the episodes are all taking a hell of a lot longer than Valve expected, and are deviating a lot from the "short, rapid instalments" they promised us. Given the amount of time Ep3 is taking, it could quite easily be more like 10+ hours long, but still, in terms of story, it will be the final episode of its trilogy and conclude the current story arc.

Back