Some thoughts on Chell

ian1

Reaction score
Alright, there have been a few things that have been bugging me about Chell. First off, one of the potato battery experiments for Bring Your Daughter to Work Day had Chell's name on it, so we know she was a child at that time. It is also heavily implied that it was on bring your daughter to work day that everything went to hell with GLaDOS. So it seems to follow that Chell was put in stasis between then and the events of the first Portal. But wait a minute. Chell is a young woman at the start of portal. Stasis, it seems, should stop any aging. And if she was just put to sleep and her aging wasn't stopped, how was she prevented from starving to death. And also, does that make Chell a child in an adult's body? Or maybe there's more to Chell's story than the portal games let on?

Also, about the brain damage during the long stasis she was in at the beginning of Portal 2: I'm guessing the brain damage only messed with the speech parts of her brain, but the rest of her cognitive functions emerged unharmed. In the first game she probably just refused to talk because of her disdain for GLaDOS, but I'm pretty sure she was unable to speak in the second game.

Thoughts?

I think Chell was in two different types of stasis at the start of Portal 1 and 2. One where she aged and one where she doesn't. Possible reason: GLaDOS has in-built age requirements for test subjects and had to wait for Chell to be old enough to test her.

Or she's an adult woman who still retains a childlike mind and innocence.:p

In the advert for the Aperture science boots (where Chell appears to be roughly the age that she is in the games) it's Cave that does the voice over.

She must have been adult age before going in to stasis in my mind.

That, or a wizard did it.

Has anybody had the idea that the name Chell is a Surname, not her first. Like how many people refer to Gordon Freeman as Freeman. Also be aware that nobody ingame actually refers to her by any name, and is only refered by name by the Devs.

There were also two other test subjects; a man and a women who shared her surname, so it could be conceivable that she was one of many family members in the facility

Has anybody had the idea that the name Chell is a Surname, not her first. Like how many people refer to Gordon Freeman as Freeman. Also be aware that nobody ingame actually refers to her by any name, and is only refered by name by the Devs.

There were also two other test subjects; a man and a women who shared her surname, so it could be conceivable that she was one of many family members in the facility

It is pretty much confirmed that Chell is her first name.

Read the text in the comic page linked by Shakermaker.
She might also be a clone...

Back