Something in cat food making my cat more hungry.

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
The cat we have has never been one to eat a bunch. During the course of an entire day, she'll only eat one can of cat food. She has half in the morning, and half at night. Oftentimes she won't even finish what she has because she's just too full or something.

Case in point, she doesn't eat a whole lot. She's a skinny little thing... that weighed only about four pounds while I knew her for the longest time.

But sometimes, we get different brands of canned food... name brand, store brand... doesn't matter. Some of them seem to have more empty nutrients in them... and she ends up eating everything she has and can easily eat a whole can in one sitting.

I wonder if this is intentional even, to generate more sales as cats end up eating a lot more and always craving more and more as a result of the lack of full satiety they get from their formulated meal.

It's not as easy with pets as it is with humans... as their nutritional needs are so much more different and we usually rely on companies to provide animal food for our pets since we'd have difficulty making it ourselves in such a way to provide the best nutrition.

So anyway... yeah. I think there's something in this new cat food that is making my cat hungrier.

She went from four pounds, and doubled her weight to eight pounds. She still looks slim as hell though, and she's a small cat.

Yeah I think your right. Seen similar things with my cat.

My cat was thin when we got her (she was already six years old), and the owners told us that she only had one can of cat food a day. Now she's a tubby little thing and my mother sometimes opens 4 or 5 cans a day because she's always hungry. Maybe there's something to this.

It's not often that you stop to think about your pet food... other than it's pet food and it'll keep your pet alive and happy.

I mean, we think about our food all the time... whether or not it'll make us fatties if we eat too much, or if it's so devoid of nutritional content that we'll be hungry even after eating it.

These bastards in the cat industry dumping appetite inducers into our pet food need to be stopped!

Just for any possible future reference, which was the nutritional and which was the filler?

I don't know cat to human years but maybe the cat is getting older and after its prime?? if not stop feeding your cat and see what happens

Just for any possible future reference, which was the nutritional and which was the filler?

You know honestly I don't remember. I'm not actually the one who buys the cat food. And I've never sat down and written down which ones exhibit this behavior and which ones don't. As i'm not usually the one who feeds her either. I let my dad's new wife feed her as she wants to(it's her cat really), and i'll feed her if she forgets to or is home too late or something.

I don't know cat to human years but maybe the cat is getting older and after its prime?? if not stop feeding your cat and see what happens

She is an old cat... quite old I believe(I have no idea how old though). But she's apparently always had this behavior.

And man... she is a pretty old cat. Young as hell still though... still scales up the back of recliners and stuff with her claws and everything.

She sounds like a zombie cat when she meows sometimes though. She has a real old cat meow... sometimes youthful, but usually old and... well, zombie cat like.

fat-cat.jpg
fat_cat_4.jpg

attachment.php
fat-cat.jpg

catfat.jpg
fat-cat.jpg

starving_child-sudan2.jpg

Oh I'm sorry did...didn't mean to make fun of your fat cat

Uhhh... wow those are some fat cats... and a poor deathly skinny kid.

Anyway, my cat doubled her weight... but four pounds to eight pounds... she honestly looks exactly the same. Still so small and skinny.

Qingdao.sflb

Orazio.sflb

Mikesch.sflb

Anyway, my cat doubled her weight... but four pounds to eight pounds... she honestly looks exactly the same. Still so small and skinny.

That's not possible... unless... the new cat food is increasing her atomic density. :LOL:

i've never had a cat, as my family are not cat lovers, but i have a dog - who is now 14.

now she's getting older and she does less exercise (she has had ops on both her rear legs, they're dodgy) and is getting fatter.

with my dog, there are certain food she likes more than others. i don't think its the nutritional value of it, i think its the taste and smell. we've never followed guidelines on food packets,

yet when she was young she could catch a low flying pigeon out of the sky (seriously - she's a springer spaniel)

i think it may be age, but your cats behaviour may make this invalid.

That's not possible... unless... the new cat food is increasing her atomic density. :LOL:

I wasn't the one who took her to the vet. But I was told that she weighed eight pounds... up from her previous four pounds. I don't know when the four pounds was in the time frame... but for the several years now she's been with us, I've noticed no visual change in her appearance. She's still a small, skinny looking cat. I've posted some pics of her on this forum before... somewhere, and she still looks exactly like that.

I love fat kitties.

My old cat used to be so fat.

Didja know cats can't taste any 'sweet' flavour? The entire family, from house cats to lions to cougars.

Try eating the food yourself, if everything starts getting really funny, and you feel a little spacey, we know what the problem is.

Heh, maybe she ate a rat that was poisoned with MSG (aka, flavor enhancer).

Although on a more serious note, maybe you should just change her food to a brand with less artificial ingredients (oh, such a pearl of wisdom on my part), or even some whole meat once in a while. Salmon would be good as long as it isn't farmed. But beyond that, I can't do anything.

But beyond that, I can't do anything.

But you're Dr. Breen! If you can't do anything more than that, what good are you!?

I say... we need a hero to stand up and take you down!

Ah, but you have misinterpreted me, fine sir! My credentials specifically state that I am educated in the fields of Classic Antagonist-archetype, cake-fabrication, and mudkip anatomy.

(They're effective against fire-types!)

I say... we need a hero to stand up and take you down!

I'mah push this Freeman character down onto the tracks the moment he gets off the train!

Back