South Korea removes Evolution from textbooks

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Mention creationism, and many scientists think of the United States, where efforts to limit the teaching of evolution have made headway in a couple of states1. But the successes are modest compared with those in South Korea, where the anti-evolution sentiment seems to be winning its battle with mainstream science.

A petition to remove references to evolution from high-school textbooks claimed victory last month after the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (MEST) revealed that many of the publishers would produce revised editions that exclude examples of the evolution of the horse or of avian ancestor Archaeopteryx.

http://www.nature.com/news/south-korea-surrenders-to-creationist-demands-1.10773

a survey of trainee teachers in the country concluded that religious belief was not a strong determinant of their acceptance of evolution. It also found that 40% of biology teachers agreed with the statement that “much of the scientific community doubts if evolution occurs”; and half disagreed that “modern humans are the product of evolutionary processes”.
Wow.

I say we move Texas to North Korea, sounds like they'd get along.

EDIT: Wait a second, this was South Korea? Da ****?

I say we move Texas to North Korea, sounds like they'd get along.

EDIT: Wait a second, this was South Korea? Da ****?
North Korea doesn't have schools.

ZING

Seriously though, I always used to think South Korea was actually on the level. I'm surprised by this, honestly.

I blame Numbers, and his continuing plan to conquer his homeland.

To be fair, evolution is a farce. You guise really think we developed from apes? Damned, dirty, apes?

Yeah, those apes with their stinking paws on you.

More like evolved alongside them from a common ancestor, yeah.

Too hard to believe. I think I'll stick to Mormonlogy or whatever, thanks though.

Every time I go to the Super H Mart near me, I have to listen to a Korean man trying to sell me on the idea of Jesus. They're just as fanatically religious over there as we are here. Jesus Crazy knows no borders or culture.

Where the hell is numbers? We need an insider's view point on this.

Every time I go to the Super H Mart near me, I have to listen to a Korean man trying to sell me on the idea of Jesus. They're just as fanatically religious over there as we are here. Jesus Crazy knows no borders or culture.
I was going to come in here and make my own post about how surprised I had been when I learned that yes, Koreans sure are all about the Jesus.

Jesus Christ. Brb, shooting up churches.

On a more serious note, I have no idea how this happened. I have seriously no idea how this happened. Years ago, when I was learning Biology II in high school.... well even before that, when I learned about evolutionary theory in middle school, it was pretty much clear on the textbook that evolution is the only acceptable-within-current-evidence theory of development of life on Earth as we see it today.

And then suddenly God.

Why did we suddenly go backwards? I have no idea. Last time I checked, crazy Jesus people weren't in charge of textbooks. Heck, anti-Christian sentiment has always been pretty high; people dressing up in Jesus suits covered in fake blood yelling at people to repent their sins usually has a negative effect. National news reports that we are being mocked from all around the world, so I expect things to normalize soon. If there is something that Koreans hate, its being embarrassed as an entire nation. But the question still remains, what the **** happened?

I blame communism. This all must be a communist conspiracy because there is no other logical answer. Goddamn heathen communists.

The textbooks are none of your concern. Now get back to earning experience on WOW for money.

Jesus Christ. Brb, shooting up churches.

On a more serious note, I have no idea how this happened. I have seriously no idea how this happened. Years ago, when I was learning Biology II in high school.... well even before that, when I learned about evolutionary theory in middle school, it was pretty much clear on the textbook that evolution is the only acceptable-within-current-evidence theory of development of life on Earth as we see it today.

And then suddenly God.

Why did we suddenly go backwards? I have no idea. Last time I checked, crazy Jesus people weren't in charge of textbooks. Heck, anti-Christian sentiment has always been pretty high; people dressing up in Jesus suits covered in fake blood yelling at people to repent their sins usually has a negative effect. National news reports that we are being mocked from all around the world, so I expect things to normalize soon. If there is something that Koreans hate, its being embarrassed as an entire nation. But the question still remains, what the **** happened?

I blame communism. This all must be a communist conspiracy because there is no other logical answer. Goddamn heathen communists.

Man, you should try being an atheist living in the US. Americans don't give a **** about being internationally mocked, and so feel free to go full derp with this stuff. Fill yourself with enough self righteousness and shame stops working. Creation museums and warning stickers in biology textbooks and everything. We have a pretty long history of this, but it seems like it's making a resurgence lately.

Haven't seen any of that warning shit in my science books. Is it a western/southern thing?

Well, frankly you have better universities and scientific institutions. So that evens out. People only care about technology (big and thin TV screens, touch screen phones, hypersonic ballistic missiles, etc.) here, and are pretty ignorant of the SCIENCE that is supposed to be the goddamn basis!

dont you have some ancient religion whit dragons around there numbers?

Yes.

I like the idea of protector-spirits and goddesses in the form of nine-tailed foxes and weird looking turtle things. Much more than Jesus. Because Jesus couldn't breathe fire like the Dragon that is the Mother of Life.

If I could choose to believe in something, I'd choose to believe in dragons. I envy my grandmother somtimes; she's the one who told me about the guardian spirit trees and nine-tailed vixen ladies that ate your liver unless you paid them tribute. It'd be good to be able to believe in something that awesome.

Hell, I wouldn't mind if we had dragons in our biology books. "All life was created by the dragon that is life. And then they evolved."

But anyway, less than 10% of the population are Christian, according to 2011 census records. I guess they're just so outspoken or peole simply stopped caring. Science used to be something like the gold standard of national progess here. I guess people just mistook technology for science and stopped caring about the natural sciences. This is going to bite us in the arse sooner or later, because scientific ignorance for the country is not very good.

Back