Star Wars: The Old Republic

No, our main problem here is that it's KOTOR as an MMORPG instead of a singleplayer game.

If you compare it to other MMOs instead of RPGs then it looks good. I don't see what makes people think it looks so bad (like I said, in comparison to other MMOs that is).

Because people don't think comparing a game to shitty games is a good way of measuring quality.

^You'd end up with a huge game universe with nothing to do or with almost no personality. It would be boring.

No, the idea doesn't suffer from that problem, but the execution most likely would. More realistically I'd just like a less linear KOTOR with a less black/white and standard story. Like New Vegas, but with more main story variation. And space travel gameplay.

And yeah, the "It looks good for an MMO argument is dumb", because being better or as good as existing MMO's is clearly not what people wanted from this.

No, but it's definitely on my to do list. It's not ignorance keeping me from it so much as it is laziness/it not being on Steam. I'm pretty sure taviow will kidnap and force me to play it if I wait too long. Does it have a lot of story variation? I understand the writing's much better, but I was under the impression it was still more or less a Jedi/Sith choice at the end of the day.

Because people don't think comparing a game to shitty games is a good way of measuring quality.

Well, I don't know about you, but when I look at an RTS, I compare them to other RTSes and not other FPSes or RPGs or whatever. If you don't like MMOs then that's fine, but what is the point coming into this thread saying that this game sucks because you don't like the genre?

And yeah, the "It looks good for an MMO argument is dumb", because being better or as good as existing MMO's is clearly not what people wanted from this.

What did they want then? It was announced as an MMO and not as an RPG, it was clear from the very start what kind of game this was going to be so it's just stupid going around saying "THIS ISN'T KOTOR!". Take it for what it is and not what you wanted it to be (not you specifically).

No, but it's definitely on my to do list. It's not ignorance keeping me from it so much as it is laziness/it not being on Steam. I'm pretty sure taviow will kidnap and force me to play it if I wait too long. Does it have a lot of story variation? I understand the writing's much better, but I was under the impression it was still more or less a Jedi/Sith choice at the end of the day.
If you do decide to play it, make sure to get the restoration mod that adds in a lot of cut content, since KoTOR2 was rushed out the door and had quite a bit of content cut out of it.

I don't really see anyone comparing it to other types of games, atleast outright. The people who are are saying, "I wish they'd made a SP game.", clearly they aren't unaware of genre prejudice. "This game is boring. The combat looks clunky." A few posts that say how it relates to other MMO's, stating it looks neither much better, nor very different than most others. Sure, most of these comments might come from people who dislike MMO gameplay, but if they find a game boring, they find it boring. If it played radically different from other MMO's maybe they'd like it.

Personally, I thought the sci-fi action of the game might distinguish it from other, more commonly fantasy MMO's in gameplay, as in not slow, boring, and repetitive. This gameplay just makes me feel like a vague, floaty force in the world, without a clear, strong, and direct impact on the game. Watching five minutes of clicking on a guy and then him getting smacked with a lightsaber until he died, not exactly it. Playing with many people is the main appeal, I understand, but I've never been able to motivate myself to play a game I couldn't justify playing alone with many others. The storybased aspect, I think, was doomed before it began. The world doesn't change. You don't impact it. You play a flashpoint, that flashpoint should be done. How do you rescue a Jedi that four other guys just rescued?

I didn't beat all of it because I lost my data, but I got well into the game. I was going for a good guy in this one, and I found I suddenly had no idea what I was doing, because characters really make you think about how something will affect another. I can see why it didn't appeal to the general audience, there are times where there are drawn out philosophical discussions between two characters, and I am not talking like, "Oh, but the Sith is powerful, you can do so much with power, you should join us!" type shit, but things that made me stop and go "Oh, maybe when I was playing hero over there I actually did something really wrong and stupid". The game almost doesn't feel like Star Wars at times because it's not so much the Black and White moral questions, but stuff that actually makes you question what actions you are about to take. The game made me feel stupid and a little bit guilty for my choices a few times, and I liked that.

I quite like the GTA games personally, don't think it's all that without personality.

I didn't beat all of it because I lost my data, but I got well into the game. I was going for a good guy in this one, and I found I suddenly had no idea what I was doing, because characters really make you think about how something will affect another. I can see why it didn't appeal to the general audience, there are times where there are drawn out philosophical discussions between two characters, and I am not talking like, "Oh, but the Sith is powerful, you can do so much with power, you should join us!" type shit, but things that made me stop and go "Oh, maybe when I was playing hero over there I actually did something really wrong and stupid". The game almost doesn't feel like Star Wars at times because it's not so much the Black and White moral questions, but stuff that actually makes you question what actions you are about to take. The game made me feel stupid and a little bit guilty for my choices a few times, and I liked that.

This. KOTOR 2 actually does a lot to break the mold of what a typical Star Wars game is and transcends it to becoming something else entirely. It's more than the writing being better, the entire universe is improved, and many of the arbitrary rules that Star Wars follows are shattered in really awesome ways. While KOTOR 1 is a more "complete" game, because the ending of the second one is a bit rushed, the sequel is by far the better game, and has a place on my "Top 10 games of all time".

You should definitely play it, Sheepo.

That sucks, especially because I am currently awful at finding the motivation to read through books quickly. Not like when I was younger and would read a gigantic collection of Sherlock Holmes stories in what felt like the blink of an eye!

I want a proper single-player KoTOR3, god-damnit.

Looking at more of this game it doesn't seem so bad. I'll be keeping an eye on it. The role playing value has huge potential, and that is what I am most interested in. If they could set up class specific missions and gameplay, it could really drive the game forward, it would be incredibly interesting, but I doubt it will happen.

For example, I think it would be interesting if being a trooper would gain you additional gear and XP while being obedient or of service to certain factions/individuals like a soldier is supposed to be. Like, being a trooper gave you the option to join up with a squad, and that squad was associated with corporations that could be bought out and traded like mercenaries that go on various missions together to earn extra XP and gear. Eventually you could become elite enough to serve by the side of sith or jedi lords; doing so might give you benefits, etc. The more loyal, the more benefits.

As for being a bounty hunter, you could earn more credits based on your relationship with a faction. If bounty hunting had a real impact like sabotaging someone's ship and having it blow up during combat, or killing someone while they are mid-mission.

Star Wars: Galaxies had a similar system. Once you picked a class you decided on your faction whilst leveling, and earned either rebel uniforms or Empire gear. I remember becoming a pilot for the Empire and getting my tie fighter flight suit. Either that or you could be neutral and wear random gear.

I'm tempted to give this game a try but I haven't really stuck with any of the MMO's I've tried since WoW. Then again, none of those were set in the Star Wars universe. One of the most appealing factors for me is the way you can have a ship as your 'player house', at least, you could last I heard. Not sure if you will be able to decorate it how you want though.

John Walker from RPS wrote an extensive hands-on. He seems quite ambivalent about it, sorta positive but not really. The sentence that stuck with me was this one:

It’s impossible to shake the feeling that The Old Republic is an RPG frustrated by its online state.

Star Wars: Galaxies had a similar system. Once you picked a class you decided on your faction whilst leveling, and earned either rebel uniforms or Empire gear. I remember becoming a pilot for the Empire and getting my tie fighter flight suit. Either that or you could be neutral and wear random gear.

Unfortunately it was kind of bunk since composite armor was the only useful one. I was an Imperial officer though.. it was cool, I could bypass contraband checks and the Stormtrooper NPCs would get all dutiful when I'd go near.

No doubt this will have monthly fees, otherwise looks pretty good.

Mythic/Bioware team up with Lucas Arts for QA-skipping abomination, taking a stab at a genre flooded with mediocrity and one crowned jewel. Shitstorm ensues, SWG aspies :smug: at the general public.

Mythic/Bioware team up with Lucas Arts for QA-skipping abomination, taking a stab at a genre flooded with mediocrity and one crowned jewel. Shitstorm ensues, SWG aspies :smug: at the general public.

What a negative disposition...

MMORPG genre is hardly flooded and there's definitely some high quality games out there in the genre outside of WoW. WoW just made it easy for everyone. I don't think this will be that bad at all. I doubt I will years in to it or anything, but I will play it at some point.

Here's hoping that they don't overprice it.

Bit-tech hates the game.

Potential isn’t something that a Star Wars MMO is theoretically short of, so it’s a shame that most of it seems to have been wasted in The Old Republic. What we saw in our time with the game wasn’t always terrible – the combat may be staid and static, but Bioware has at least done a good job at balancing the wide variety of classes against each other.

Instead, the issue that plagues The Old Republic is one of predictability. An MMO from such accomplished RPG writers and based on such a rich fiction could have redefined the genre, but instead appears to merely ape other MMOs, with little thought given to reconciling the fiction with the gameplay or capitalising on the depth of the narrative. From what we've seen, there’s very little to make The Old Republic stand out from any other MMO we’ve played.

Maybe that will change in the mid- and late-game stages. Maybe the caveats of previewing an MMO in such a way unfairly prevent us from being able to assess The Old Republic’s strengths. Maybe. All we’re sure of now is that what we played didn't offer the breakthrough experience that Star Wars fans should hope for and that we’d happily let The Old Republic stay in a galaxy far, far away.

Ouch, all we can hope is that the game changes in a major way before release. I'll definitely be waiting for reviews before I consider buying this.

So, the writer doesn't like it because BioWare is playing it safe and because it's not the revolutionary MMO that he expected it to be? You mean like the successful and most recent WoW carbon copy, RIFT? If you want a "revolutionary" MMO, go play Age of Conan or DC Universe Online. They're clinging for dear life and are in need of new subscribers.

there’s very little to make The Old Republic stand out from any other MMO we’ve played.

Umm, yes there is. It's Star Wars. Not to mention that the game has a narrative and it's fully voiced.

I was in the December closed beta test and i had a blast with the game. Especially, with the Bounty Hunter and Smuggler. I have said it before and i will say it again. If you are a fan of the singleplayer games and/or Star Wars then you won't be disappointed. After all, that's what this game always promised to be. I can't say more than that since NDA hasn't been lifted.

This reviewer is nothing more than a self entitled whiny shit.

I admit, it this was out now, I would buy it and subscribe just because it's goddam ****ing Star Wars and there's literally nothing ****ing-else to play. Yeah it looks boring as shit, but it's horseshit god damn Star Wars! God damn it!

Star Wars in general is going to be a selling point for me I guess... but I'd just like to play some more SW games that aren't Jedi stuff. I'll probably be a trooper since I like blowing shit up and what MMO ever has enough tanks? I dunno though... Buying MMOs at the starting gate is scary. I guess I'll figure it out when it gets closer to release.

thanks for posting.
it looks better than I thought. the combat animations seem to have been improved. but it still looks too WoWish for my liking.
I'm definitely going to try it out but I'm still leaning more towards Guild Wars 2

It looks ... okay I guess. The big difference with all the other MMO's out there are the talky bits. There is some real potential there, but I keep doubting if it will work in an MMO game. On the other hand, a big part of the questing seemed to be class specific, so leveling up another class should offer some real differences, story-wise. Then again, most of the content still will be the same and I have the idea all the talking parts will start to annoy by the time you are leveling up your third or fourth alt.

Heh, I like how they squeeze PvP and raids into the last few seconds. Wonder how the endgame will turn out.

MMO'S are dead and have been for some time.The pay per month model is stupid too.

Must be why no one's bothering with them any more.

Heh, I like how they squeeze PvP and raids into the last few seconds. Wonder how the endgame will turn out.

I'll venture an educated guess: lacking. Most MMOs have minimal endgame at launch.

Back