Steam Announcement #1: SteamOS

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014. That tagline sure looks to be true with the announcement of SteamOS, a new stand-alone Linux-based operating system set to combine the best parts of the Steam client with the open source nature of Linux. The announcement page goes into significant detail regarding the benefits of SteamOS as a stand-alone platform, including a number of performance improvements related to graphical processing, and how the SteamOS will operate as a "collaborative many-to-many entertainment platform", potentially allowing community members and hardware developers to innovate and improve at a faster pace than on closed platforms.

steamos-png.24452
The SteamOS page discusses a number of brand new Steam features which will be shipping to both SteamOS and the main Steam client in the future, including the previously announced Family Sharing system and three brand new features in the form of "In-home Streaming", "Music, TV, Movies,", and "Family Options".​
In-home Streaming will allow a user to stream Mac and Windows games straight to a SteamOS computer elsewhere in the home over a local wireless network, something which has been a personal goal of Gabe Newell for some time now. The Music, TV, Movies section mentions that Valve are currently working with a variety of other media services and providers to introduce music and video content onto the Steam client and the SteamOS. The Family Options section discusses how Valve are working to expand the Family Sharing system by providing deeper customisation options to allow for more control over which game or software titles can be interacted with by other members of a family group.​
steamos_2-png.24453

As always, we'll be sure to bring you even more information about the future of both SteamOS and the Steam client as we learn more in the coming weeks. Until then, be sure to head on over to the main SteamOS announcement page to read all about the upcoming operating system for yourself. The next countdown timer is set to conclude at 5pm GMT on Wednesday 25th September 2013, around 48 hours after the announcement of SteamOS, so be sure to come back shortly after the next announcement to learn more about the future of Steam in the living room.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 19,064
  • SteamOS.PNG
    SteamOS.PNG
    306 KB · Views: 17,128
  • SteamOS_2.PNG
    SteamOS_2.PNG
    6.5 KB · Views: 16,664
I dont know how well this is gonna do. Unless they boost it with something like Steambox or Decay of Particles 3, I dont think its gonna interest wide range of people.

The logistics on how this will work via a SteamOS box as a relay from your PC / Mac etc seems a bit clunky and confusing for the average user.

Although I'm sure #2 and #3 will round things off nicely with some hardware additions. It could be as simple as #2 Controller #3 Box!

The logistics on how this will work via a SteamOS box as a relay from your PC / Mac etc seems a bit clunky and confusing for the average user.

I would assume that it would be as easy as connecting a handheld device to a desktop, with the two versions of Steam automatically syncing and displaying both lists of games on the SteamBox. Ideally you would want every developer to make a SteamOS version of their game, but obviously that isn't going to happen so some will always have to be streamed.

Ah, do I get points? Sign me up valve, we're on the same wavelength

I dont know how well this is gonna do. Unless they boost it with something like Steambox or Decay of Particles 3, I dont think its gonna interest wide range of people.

presumably it will be a part of steambox

Hmm, I hope lots of programs that run on Windows will also run on it. I'd like to switch but I'd also like my current stuff to work. But I suppose that's the nature of change.

Would be amusingly funny if GTA5 was coming to SteamOS, but not Windows. The reason why we haven't heard anything.

presumably it will be a part of steambox

If SteamBox is even a thing. You don't really need a pre-built computer when you have a freely available OS floating around which lets you stream directly from another PC.

Maybe it really is as simple as having Steam running on another PC and then selecting "Wifi connect" or whatever from a menu in the SteamOS machine.

If SteamBox is even a thing. You don't really need a pre-built computer when you have a freely available OS floating around which lets you stream directly from another PC.

A lot of people don't know how to install a new OS and would find the very idea scary. If Valve want to appeal to console gamers and a wide audience there will need to be machines that come bundled with SteamOS.

Well I was going to say this is pointless and it sorta is. I mean nobody really asked for this but nobody asked for Steam or Portal neither. This could take off as it's obvious a Steam console will be announced this week. It appeals to casual and console gamers. It's sorta like the gate-way drug to PC gaming.

Adoption of the OS and console will largely be due to having auto-updates for everything including drivers. Advertising will need to be big. The specs need to come close to a next gen console. Fianlly the thing needs to be competitively priced. They are working with media companies to bring probably The Walking Dead to the thing.

Again I thought this was pointless but it's really great. Still work on HL3, grrr.... :p

I bet the Steambox is not far from announcement either? Or, at the very least, a controller? If Valve is really pushing living room use, then chances are they're going to want me to ditch the keyboard. I guess that wouldn't be a bad thing, though. I generally prefer the keyboard, but it's a pain in the ass for driving games.

I wonder if /when steam OS will support non - gaming software such as that already sold on steam.

Option 1: Use your Windows PC. 100% of games running, great performance, unlimited resolution, fast input/output.
Option 2: use 2 PCs, one with Windows to run the game, another one with SteamOS to get the stream, bad performance, limited resolution (bandwith, even on LAN it's not infinite) and slower input/output.

Yeah, I think I'll go with Op1.

I wonder if /when steam OS will support non - gaming software such as that already sold on steam.
I would hope any Linux-based release in the Software category on Steam would be supported.

Option 1: Use your Windows PC. 100% of games running, great performance, unlimited resolution, fast input/output.
Option 2: use 2 PCs, one with Windows to run the game, another one with SteamOS to get the stream, bad performance, limited resolution (bandwith, even on LAN it's not infinite) and slower input/output.

The whole point is that you aren't going to need 2 entire PCs. The aim is to make PC gaming in your living room more convenient. Not having to unplug all the shit from your computer and lug it over to your living room. If you don't have a desire to do so, then you need not apply.

As far as your list of cons...
- The SteamOS page says they're already getting performance gains over Windows.
- Why on earth does anyone need "unlimited" resolution? They would only need as high as their TV, and as high as their video card can handle. LAN is enough to handle 1920x1080 easily. I mean, I can stream 1080p videos over the internet already.
- The input lag is obviously something they're going to have to work on to reduce as much as possible, but they're obviously confident that they can get it low enough to not be an issue.

Router bandwidth should not be a concern. Most routers support AT LEAST 50 Mbps with higher'ish end ones supporting 100 Mbps plus (numbers based off tech from over a year ago, so chances are figures are higher now). That's more than enough leeway to get a good image.
Device latency will be a concern, but I can only see it as one with games that require quick reaction times (so anything considered competitive). Beyond that, I do not see it as being a very worrisome factor.

Input lag shouldn't be too much of an issue considering the nvidia shield manages with just a ms or two with its streaming.

- Why on earth does anyone need "unlimited" resolution?

Pfft, catch up bro. Are you trying to say you don't have your monitor set at 9999999x9999999? Get with the times.

Pfft, catch up bro. Are you trying to say you don't have your monitor set at 9999999x9999999? Get with the times.

9999999x9999999 ? You must be kidding. I thought people have monitors set at ∞∞x∞∞ these days...

it's funny because those are unrealistically high numbers and monitors can't really be that high res!

What I'm wondering about is since this is based around Linux. I'm guessing that you can install it on your main computer. But I'm wondering if other software, such as adobe products, 3d software, ect. that is not on steam will be able to be installed as well.

If they have linux support yes. Valve's been pushing the industry to adopt linux instead of closed platforms for a while now.

Dr.IndianaJones unfortunately a lot of those products and other professional software don't support Linux. Some do have a viable alternative but most not fully featured. That and games are the only things keeping me on windows.

You can stream 1080 compressed video. Try with uncompressed video and we will talk. Oh wait, or do you prefer 30% of your CPU/GPU to be used to compress it thus losing a good amount of FPS?

Also compressing the video will introduce artifacts in the image.

Soooo, yeah, I don't see the majority of the gaming community using this "solution" for a problem that doesn't exist (you can just use Windows).

You can stream 1080 compressed video. Try with uncompressed video and we will talk. Oh wait, or do you prefer 30% of your CPU/GPU to be used to compress it thus losing a good amount of FPS?
That's a good point, but Valve obviously have some kind of solution, otherwise they wouldn't be making a huge deal out of these announcements. If you really think they're going to sacrifice 30% of system performance, or cut the resolution down to like 640x480 just to make this work, you're being unrealistic. Valve obviously has something neither of us have considered, otherwise this product would be a joke. If it were another company, I'd be more skeptical, but Valve aren't this stupid.

Also compressing the video will introduce artifacts in the image.
There is such a thing as lossless compression, you know. As well as indistinguishable compression.

this "solution" for a problem that doesn't exist (you can just use Windows).
Use Windows for what? What does that have to do with streaming games from your main PC? We're talking about not having to buy a whole other high end gaming system for the living room. Only a piece of hardware that will stream from your main system. That's the "solution" for people who don't want to lug their PC to their living rooms to play in that environment.

Dr. House: Using YouTube as an example, rendering 1080p takes around 5 Mbps of bandwidth. So considering a router can handle much more traffic than that, I'd expect far better quality and not as much compression loss as you make it out to be.
Concerning CPU/GPU usage, of course it's going to be demanding more of it. Ignoring your made up percentages, if your setup is poor then sure it's not recommended to use that feature and fall back to alternatives. However, there are setups that can handle it no problem and it's up to each to figure out which category they fall under.

I stream uncompressed MKV 1080p bluray rips over my network to my PS3 all the time via plex. I can only assume that Plex itself does some on-the-fly compression (the setting for Plex is set to "20Mbps, 1080p"), but its not much and doesn't use up many resources as I can stream video whilst pipping blurays and Rendering 3D images, both very CPU intensive processes. If I can do that already, I imagine Valve can make it work given a ground-up OS developed by them with this being a primary feature.

-obliteration-

Lieutenant Krynn, stand down! You were never provided with the proper authorisation to conduct that bombing run on the KKiONI Dr.House installations. Our most recent intel is suggesting your attack has caused catastrophic damage and major civilian casualties.

Copy that HQ, returning to base to await court marshal.

I stream uncompressed MKV 1080p bluray rips over my network to my PS3 all the time via plex.

I don't always offer anecdotal evidence, but when I do it almost always supports my argument!

He was implying that it was impossible or impractical enough as to be essentially impossible. Anecdotal evidence is sufficient enough to disprove a binary true/false claim such as that. I'm not arguing that if I can do it, everybody can. It could very well be that I'm the only one able to do it, thanks to my superior understanding of technology. That doesn't change the fact that his claim is untrue.

Back