Steam: Choose your own game install paths

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
This is just a quick post, but it looks like the ability to customize your game install paths is coming to Steam soon. You can actually try it yourself right now with a tiny bit of hacking - Don't worry because you're not putting your Steam account at risk. Here's what to do...

Locate your Steam launch icon, right-click on it, and hit "Properties".

Add "-dev" to the Target field, for example:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -dev

Now run that and launch Steam. Then you'll see a menu option called "Console" next to "News" - click that and enter the following:

install_folder_ui

And that's it! You should be looking at the install path interface!

It's definitely not meh! I've always wanted to put Steam and a couple of my most played games on an SSD with the rest sitting on my HDD. Having this choice is brilliant.

About time, really surprised it took this long to be honest...

I currently use SteamTool to move some games to an SSD, but this will make it much easier (I hope).

I wonder if this will let people install Combined Ops the way it's supposed to be.

I could have done with this a while back for the reasons Glenn stated. It's becoming moot with the price/capacity of SSDs coming down, though.

They should have had this years ago. I've always wanted this because my 3.0 USB External HDD would have loaded my games slightly faster me thinks

I'm so glad they did this. I can now finally use my external and stop worrying about the computer's local HDD space with its pitiful capacity.

Another update to the beta came out that made it so you don't have to use the hack. It's a button under the Downloads + Cloud settings tab.

not working

all i get is ">>> command not found: install_folder_ui"

Had they done this years ago I would have been excited, but now I have so much stuff in the original install paths it would just be counterproductive and confusing for me to start splitting my installs across multiple drives. Good that it's finally possible, I guess.

Heard it doesn't work well with Valve games that use cfg files.

Back