Steam To Distribute Software? - Genres include Accounting, Photo Editing, Education & More

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
If you check out your Android or iOS Steam clients right now, under the genres section for the search function you will find an assortment of new categories specifically tailored towards software. They include things such as accounting, photo editing, animation & modeling, education and several others.

You can search for these genres on the Steam store but they redirect you to: http://store.steampowered.com/software - what we hypothesise will eventually be the Steam Software landing page.

Watch our video below for a full demonstration and whether we can expect Steam Greenlight to be used to power the new Steam software arm.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 15,841
Hopefully this means Valve will be forced to improve categorization in the library.

Valve is really branching out!

Should be interesting to see how far other distributors branch out. Would EA even consider following Valve's lead?

Three Possibilities:
1) They are adding a catalogue of productivity apps to our Steam accounts
2) They are in fact developing a Linux Based OS
3) They are in fact creating the fabled Steam Box, and its being developed both for Entertainment in the Living Room and Business in the Conference Room (May in fact give us an indication about its potential size form factor)

Also makes one wonder how long this has been in the pipeline, but has just come to light?

3) They are in fact creating the fabled Steam Box, and its being developed both for Entertainment in the Living Room and Business in the Conference Room (May in fact give us an indication about its potential size form factor)
People trying to thread back everything Valve are doing into the supposed Steam Box is on the road to getting as bad as the "Update for Portal with Portal related ARG that reveals pictures of Aperture Science? HALF-LIFE 3 CONFIRMED" nonsense.

People trying to thread back everything Valve are doing into the supposed Steam Box is on the road to getting as bad as the "Update for Portal with Portal related ARG that reveals pictures of Aperture Science? HALF-LIFE 3 CONFIRMED" nonsense.

I take it you didn't hear, theres going to be boardroom version of L4D (Left 4 Desk) whereby four characters depicting reallife CEOs smack mindless white collar workers over the heads with keyboards.

Not as exciting as HL3, but it'll do

[back on topic]I was only shooting out a list of ideas, I know the Steambox isn't coming out really, but the 3rd line on a list that I create is always going to be the most outlandish, and the 1st one on the list being sane suggestion.

Back