SteamPipe To Convert OrangeBox Engine Games To New File Format

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Valve have recently begun rolling out a new content distribution method through Steam known as "SteamPipe". SteamPipe will change the manner in which games are downloaded and stored on a machine, while also converting older file types (.gcf) over to a newer and more efficient VPK format.

A recent post on the Steam Support page has revealed that Orange Box Engine games will feature as the next batch of games to be transferred across to the new system. These games include Team Fortress 2, Day of Defeat: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Counter-Strike: Source. Players can expect their games to undergo a one time conversion process, in which the files will be transferred from the old directories (located in "/steamapps/[username]/") to the newer directory (located in "/steamapps/common/"). This newer system will share the install directory between users, unlike the previous alternative which featured individual file locations for separate users. While this update won't directly affect ordinary players' gameplay experiences, it will apparently significantly improve games in the following areas;

• Faster and smoother downloads
  • Faster game boot times and map load times
  • Easier distribution, installation, and management of mods
  • Smoother dedicated server distribution and update rollover

Server hosts and modders should take note, as this update will change the way a variety of game and server systems run, so be sure to head on over to the Steam Support page at this link to avoid getting caught with your trousers down. Alternatively, head on over to the Team Fortress 2 Beta to test the new file system's functionality, as the Beta has already been updated to the VPK format. Newer game titles such as Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Dota 2 already use the newer VPK format, so we look forwards to see how SteamPipe may help squeeze a little bit more performance out of everyone's favourite hat themed war simulator.

Hopefully it doesn't get ported to HL2, Episodes, because its going to ruin them even more. The new file format made alot of Goldsrc mods unplayable, it would do the same to an already broken HL2 (thanks to the mac update). That would mean Minerva, Black Mesa, Synergy, Smod and others would be dead.

Crossing my fingers.

I wonder does GCFScape support the new filetype or will it break it?

I wonder does GCFScape support the new filetype or will it break it?
It already does but people make the mistake of trying to open the large .vpk files. Use GCF scape on the .dir.vpk file and it acts as a directory to show everything in the large vpk files.

Means, that my mod will break up, since css is mounted to it.
VPK and GCF dont like each other.... shit...

Hopefully it doesn't get ported to HL2, Episodes, because its going to ruin them even more. The new file format made alot of Goldsrc mods unplayable, it would do the same to an already broken HL2 (thanks to the mac update). That would mean Minerva, Black Mesa, Synergy, Smod and others would be dead.

Crossing my fingers.

No, the updates for GoldSrc weren’t related to SteamPipe work, they just occurred at the same time. Valve is updating their older engines to be steamplay (ie, running on Linux and Mac), and thats allowed them to retire a good chunk of graphics code that is outdated. If you have issues, please do post them here https://github.com/ValveSoftware/halflife/issues/

Back