Steve Jobs dead at 56

People really think that the iPhone changed the world?

Of course it did Raz! Before people couldn't go on the internet using a phone without having to put up with a slower-to-use interface! They couldn't even call anybody without having to press down physical buttons! And God forbid you needed a GPS, you'd have to go out and buy a GPS!!!!

Now with the iphone you can do all those things! Its an AMAAAAAAZING thing! I can't even imagine where we'd be right now without it! Probably be stuck with GPS systems mounted in our cars rather than in our pockets! What a horrid thought.

That's not the point. He was not an engineer (not an extraordinary one anyway) and he was not primarily a designer. His role was that of a gatekeeper

Now, i'm sure that Jobs deserves some props for being an extraordinary leader, no doubt, but this is taking it too far...

Remember, this is a guy that was paid nearly 6,000 USD to redesign Breakout, went ahead and told Woz to do it for him, and then kept the money for himself. I think this describes his social relevance as an astounding businessperson.

He didn't simply do what others did, he walked into market after market and showed the world how it ought to be done. He wasn't simply part of the technological conversation, he defined it.

I think where you say "He", you really mean to say "Apple's design and engineering team". I really ****ing doubt that the iTunes store, the numerous iterations of the iPod, the iPad, the macbooks, and all the other "revolutionary" products that Apple has released in the past how ****ing long, are the brainchildren of Steve Jobs. You forget that apple employs some of the brightest engineers, graphic designers, and artists in the world. I'm sure they're paid to do a lot more than jerk Steve off.

Steve Jobs used loophole to get his liver transplant before others:

http://digitaljournal.com/article/274846

Now, many Americans are wondering how Jobs was lucky enough to receive a liver when there are currently 16,000 people on the national transplant waitlist.

Jobs went through the same process as all other patients within the UNOS system. He was given a battery of medical tests to determine his eligibility, registered with an organ procurement organization (OPO), and was put on a waitlist. What separates Jobs from the majority of waitlisted patients, however, is that he utilized a loophole to get his transplant faster.

To be fair I'd probably do the same thing with that kind of cash.

If I were him I'd just ask all the apple fanboys to commit suicide for me. Then I'd clear out that entire waiting list with the thousands of livers I'd have at my disposal. I might have to bribe some of them with a 24 hour iPhone 5 sneak peak before they do it, but that's fine, its just a slightly tweaked iPhone 4s anyways.

A lot of rich people can just utilize the lucrative Latin American black market organ trade, looks like he didn't have to break the law. Our monetized healthcare system is awesome, if you're rich. I can't understand how this is news to anyone, wealthy people always get transplants ahead of others and pressers only care post-mortem. Scholarship talks about it a lot, people just kind of stopped giving a shit.

The point wasn't one about surprise, it was another reason he should not ever be considered a hero to anybody. He's a shithead, just like all those other rich people who use loopholes to get what they want before others who are supposed to be getting it.

Anyone who drops acid, and then continues to emanate the same level of... - well, I'll just leave it at that.

The point wasn't one about surprise, it was another reason he should not ever be considered a hero to anybody. He's a shithead, just like all those other rich people who use loopholes to get what they want before others who are supposed to be getting it.

Welcome to the United States of America, enjoy your stay.

I enjoy it well enough. Its not entirely made up of assholes, you just gotta look around a bit for the decent people.

Always were an optimist, more admirable than my disposition, to be sure.

*not sarcasm

You're beginning to sound like a broken record.

Important update: I was in a tablequiz yesterday and we won the prize for best team name. We were called iPancreas.

why is he measured by how much or how little he gave to charity?

"oh that lawrenace olivier guy was a great actor but he didnt give shit to charity obviously he's a douche"

people admired him for his business sense. isnt that enough?

But if you make that kind of money and you give nothing away to charity you are a douche, a greedy douche. He might have made such contributions in private which would be good, but if he didn't then I think we have a right to think he's a scumbag. And I don't mean to take away from him being a good businessmen, he was. But you can't judge a person on that one fact.

I'm pretty sure the issue people were having was that most people treating him as if he was way way more than just a good business man.

why is he measured by how much or how little he gave to charity?

"oh that lawrenace olivier guy was a great actor but he didnt give shit to charity obviously he's a douche"

people admired him for his business sense. isnt that enough?
It has to do with what it means to admire someone solely for their business sense. [edit] And then add what Veg said to this.

Which reminds me of this article I read recently for my mobile development class (written before Jobs died)

While the iPhone 3G/S and iPhone 4 have different resolutions and DPI, they share the same screen size and the resolutions follow the same aspect ratio. Therefore, an image can be created to fit the iPhone 4’s specifications and be nicely down-scaled to the iPhone 3G/S. Credit to Steve Jobs for planning ahead and designing his phone with developers in mind.

It's like, really? What makes you think Steve was responsible for this decision? Why not just say 'credit to Apple'? Seems a lot more likely that his design team were the ones that came up with this. Not that it's even that brilliant of an idea; seems obvious to me.

Even further, that just seems like something that... happened. It's completely coincidental. If they had decided to change screen formats, he would have said, "It's about time cell phones got proper ###p resolution!"

I'm pretty sure the issue people were having was that most people treating him as if he was way way more than just a good business man.

That's certainly the case with me. I will give credit where credit is due, he was a brilliant business man . However article titles like "Is this the end of Apple?" are an insult to all the people that turned all these devices you take for granted into a reality. Overpriced versions of already existing tech, but that's besides the point.

Back