Stewart and Colbert to announce something soon.. (Restoring Truthiness?)

sixteenth

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Anybody catch Colbert/Stewart tonight?

Well, Stewart ended his episode by announcing that he will be announcing some sort of announcement among epic proportions.

Colbert then followed, during his show opening, that he has become aware of the internet movement that has been encouraging him to host a satirical rally against Beck and Palin's rally at Lincoln memorial last week; known as "Restoring Truthiness". He announced that Reddit, the Facebook group 100,000 Strong to Restore Truthiness to the US Capital
(around 37,000), and other online communities have been responsible for the movement (Reddit is going nuts right now from what I can see). He ends the opener by announcing that he will make an even bigger announcement based on whatever Stewart announces.

Anyway, I'll post a few news articles on the topic that have recently hit mainstream. (They don't say anything about tonight's episodes, but I expect to see updated ones come out today).

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/09/07/stephen-colbert-restoring-truthiness-rally/

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...rally_in_dc_to_rival_gle.html?r=entertainment

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainme...n-colbert-restoring-truthiness-090710.article

I'll update with some clips of their "announcements" when they become available.

Edit:

Here's the apparent main community site for "Restoring Truthiness" rally if you were interested.

Article that actually covers last nights episode:
After a week-long break, The Colbert Report host today opened his show with a 10-minute segment about the campaign.

"I have been informed that there is a movement afoot on the internets to get me to hold my own rally," he said.

"It was started Monday on Reddit, and that led to a hundred thousand strong for Colbert on Facebook and a new petition website colbertrally.com.

"As of today, 12.30, I became the number one search in the world on Google."

...He began by joking about Beck's statement that his rally was blessed by God as evidenced by a flock of geese flying overheard.

Then he revealed a goose on the set and asked it whether he should hold his own rally.

"Ladies and gentlemen my important announcement will be announced on a date to be announced," he said.

"And whatever I'm announcing, it will be BYOG — Bring Your Own Geese."

I don't see this getting that many people on to the streets but I hope it does.

Stewart/Colbert 2012

Nothing come of this?

I don't get all the mocking of the original event. It wasn't really political in the end- more of a spiritual event in the end for those involved/attending. Kind of makes those mocking it look bad. If it had turned into a political hate fest then it would at least merit response from the other side- but it wasnt.

They are still playing around with this. Colbert made an announcement on Monday night and it was up to Jon to make the next one. I am always a day behind because it comes on so late here so I haven't seen last night's episode yet.

I don't know that they would go to this much trouble just to mock Beck and would think that some kind of real event is in the works.

I don't get all the mocking of the original event. It wasn't really political in the end- more of a spiritual event in the end for those involved/attending. Kind of makes those mocking it look bad. If it had turned into a political hate fest then it would at least merit response from the other side- but it wasnt.

Dude, grow up. Yes it was political. And yes it was a hate fest. Just watch some of the videos of the people that showed up.

Nothing come of this?

It was political. As I've said before, the whole premise and build up to it was to "restore honor" after us "unamerican liberals" somehow stripped the nation of its honor.

That may not have been what was discussed the day of... but it was certainly discussed leading up to the event. I've heard no end to the talk of how "liberals in washington" have been ruining America and it was time to take it back, and how the restoring honor rally was going to be a tool for doing that.

Is it real or just a big gag? Last week Stewart was using "Moment of Zen" segments to drop hints about the announcement but that seems to have stopped.

Colbert keeps joking around during the show about a "rally". For instance, during the beginning of last night's episode, the crowd cheered "Stephen! Stephen! Stephen!" like they always do. He thanked the audience and said..
"Wow. That was one of the best I've heard. Almost like a... rally... or something
Stewart has basically kept quiet except for an interview he had with Jew York magazine (sorry, I couldn't help it, East Bound and Down Season 2 is starting next week lulz)
There’s discussion of a possible Stewart-Colbert public event, a parody of Beck’s “Restoring Honor” rally. “Maybe we would do a ‘March of the Reasonable,’ on a date of no particular significance,” Stewart says.
http://nymag.com/arts/tv/profiles/68086/index1.html

Here's Colbert's pseudo-announcement: http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/352238/september-07-2010/geese-witherspoon

Now. On to the bags of money that Reddit, and several other online communities, have been throwing at Donorschoose.org.

A few days ago some Redditor mentioned that the community should donate towards Colbert's favorite charity in order to gain his attention of the "Truthiness Movement". Well.. Reddit listened. Since Monday (this past Monday) they have donated over $214,000. You read that right. The internet donated THAT much in like 3 days. I am still astonished over the fact that the $10,000 mark was even broken. Apparently there were so many donations that Donorschoose.org had a few servers overload.

Colbert responded with a quite sincere note (and added picture to prove authenticity.:
Dear Redditors,

Ever since the visit of one of your Dear Leaders, Alexis "kn0thing" Ohanian, my inbox has been orangered with pleas to "Restore Truthiness." The track record of your hivemind speaks for itself. Mr. Splashypants got a name. You rescued Soapier. You frightened the sweet-and-sour Jesus out of a 90-year-old man on his birthday. Despite how silly and nonsexual reddit can be, your true colors show when someone is in need.

I almost had a pregnant when I saw what you had done at DonorsChoose.org for classrooms around the country. I am humbled and honored (a rare combination for me), and find myself wishing there was a Look of Approval.

You have inspired me by helping untold thousands of students; with the momentum you've created, we could stage a hundred rallies. I might just call on you, Redditors - for nothing is more terrifying than tens of thousands of Heroes taking to the streets with the faint odor of bacon wafting behind them. Except for bears, obviously.

One huge upvote for you.

Sir Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, DFA

Firstly, this guy knows his memes. Secondly, I expect him to probably respond to that $200,000 in donations on his show. I mean, he is one of the chairman for that charity actually. I didn't catch tonight's episode, so if anyone wants to add anything else... go right ahead.

Just watched last night's episodes. John Stewart had one of those "now we go to Stephen at the Colbert Report" things he does to segway his show and the Report. They played at it again. Then when the Colbert Report was almost over, Stephen said to tune in tonight (Thursday) for his "world changing announcement". He said hotels in DC should stock up on minibar Toblarones, and suggested its happening on 10/10/10.

So obviously its a Restoring Truthiness rally in DC on 10/10/10.

Man, if true I'm actually wondering if I can afford a few hundred bucks to get my ass over to DC for that weekend. Would be my first rally.

Man, if true I'm actually wondering if I can afford a few hundred bucks to get my ass over to DC for that weekend. Would be my first rally.

Mine as well. If I can get a few people to come with, I think I'll be going.

I'm definitely tuning in tonight. I haven't watched either of these shows in ages.

Jew York magazine (sorry, I couldn't help it, East Bound and Down Season 2 is starting next week lulz)

/internethighfive IT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME

Same. Maybe my dad would be willing to go (and foot the bill), since he thinks Colbert is hilarious. Otherwise I'd have a hard time getting down there, since I can't really afford a hotel, and I the only person I know of who would be interested in going and splitting the bill with me, probably can't afford it either.

Bawww, you rally virgins.

It's kind of interesting how up Colbert is on the internet. He must know what a significant portion of his audience falls within that demographic and employ a couple twentysomething researchers to keep him updated.

It's kind of interesting how up Colbert is on the internet. He must know what a significant portion of his audience falls within that demographic and employ a couple twentysomething researchers to keep him updated.

He loves reddit. He made a post there yesterday that was so meme-heavy that it simply couldn't have been written by him. Like you said, he most likely has a very internet savvy staff.

When I visited New York last year I went to one of Stewarts tapings, the audience was basically what you would expect them to be, me included. :p

It took Glenn Beck a year, I believe, to secure the necessary permits and permissions to do his rally at the Mall, I have a hard time imagining Colbert/Stewart or rather Comedy Centrals lawyers could get those same documents in a fraction of the time it took Beck.

That said if they do actually do it, and this isn't one big joke, I could easily see them turning out well over a hundred thousand people.

Comedy Central could have applied for the 10/10/10 permits a year ago with the understanding of Stewart and Colbert possibly not following through with an actual rally.

Hopefully the speech involves Stewart or Colbert standing up on a podium and yelling "Cannnn yoooouuuuu diiiggg it?" (as last night's moment of zen suggested).

So obviously its a Restoring Truthiness rally in DC on 10/10/10.

I just don't see it working out.

The Beck rally had about 6 months publicity and was right in the middle of the summer holidays.

This might get a month and it is in October. Plus I don't think the younger audince are more likely to get out than the older people who are crazy that came to the Beck rally.

And yet again I demonstrate why I should keep my mouth shut more often.

10/30/10 Rally in Washington DC, nothing I can link to at the moment since it was just announced on their show.

Looks like Stewart and Colbert just announced the rally. Of course, being the stubborn characters they are, there are two different names for the same rally on 10/30/10.

KEEP FEAR ALIVE

stephen_image.jpg

and

RALLY TO RESTORE SANITY

jon_image.jpg

I just don't see it working out.

The Beck rally had about 6 months publicity and was right in the middle of the summer holidays.

This might get a month and it is in October. Plus I don't think the younger audince are more likely to get out than the older people who are crazy that came to the Beck rally.

Nah, I'm willing to bet it will be bigger than Beck's.

I'm having too much fun clicking the same "Don't Click Here" button on each page.

If I can get my friends to go to this, I'll be there.

Anyone from the Chicago area going? After rechecking that I have nothing but loans paying for school and my apartment, it took about a 1/2 second to realize I could never afford a plane/train ticket.

$300 for plane tickets and around $200 for motels (might be able to split that with someone). Will also need to rent a car. Damn, I've been thinking about getting a new TV for around that money, decisions, decisons.

You can always steal a TV. It's much harder to steal a rally.

My girlfriend and I (and probably some other friends) are going to be driving up to DC for this. It's only about 4 hours from here and I've been following this on reddit since the first thread about the idea popped up, and this all seems a bit too epic to not participate in.

lol, the day after they announced it, my dad came to my room all giddy and excited because he wanted to go. I was all "**** yeah lets go!" and them my mom was all like "hell yeah" and then my dad was all "Wait, shit, my mom's 80th birthday is on October 30th" and now I hate my grandma.

Just kidding grams. We cool.

If ya'll go the hl2.net contingent should meet up.

My girlfriend and I (and probably some other friends) are going to be driving up to DC for this. It's only about 4 hours from here and I've been following this on reddit since the first thread about the idea popped up, and this all seems a bit too epic to not participate in.

I've been following since the first thread as well and it's fascinating to see it develop. I think Comedy Central is taking notes from Conan O' Brien's past internet support.

So who else is going? I told my parents about this and now they might want to go which would help me split costs for the car (they want to go to DC and not the rally). Since I can't find any friends that have the cash for this would still be nice to find someone to split a room with.

I'll be there but my gf and I and a couple of friends are getting our own room.

I'd be up for meeting up with any HL2netters that make it up there though :D

Talked to my dad and if I drive my car up and take my little bro (he's 17) he will pay for half of everything to cover his costs. Only thing that sucks with that is the 30 hour drive from here to DC (30 hours if we dont stop for sleep). But if I could put up with the drive this entire trip would only cost me around 300 bucks. I need to sleep on this and try to get maybe another person but I think I'm gonna go for it. I dont want to miss this. The facebook page for the rally shows over 100,000 people as attending, funny how they got a permit for only 25,000.

Damn I'm only 1 hr from DC but I got exams to study for at that time. Though tbh I'm probably too lazy to go anyways. Especially considering how large this thing is going to be, traffic will be hell, though the subway is probably going to be a good idea for those of you going. Avoid half the headache.

Ok, I'm going. Actually gonna fly out there with my brother. I think my parents are gonna go too (not to the rally though). I'm totally stoked, gonna get the tickets today.

you have an obligation to record the event for those who cannot be there

Back