Strange problem, extra monitors activing by themselves.

NeptuneUK

Space Core
Reaction score
I have 3 monitors installed. My main is connected via HDMI, my secondary one is next my main one and is connected via DVI which I use for extra space when recording music. The third is a TV I use for watching films.
At random times, I hear the windows jingle that indicates something has been plugged in like a usb device or something, then the screen goes black, everything minimizes and (usually the TV) activates by itself. It keeps happening, especially often when I'm playing total war. What gives?

I'm not entirely certain of your graphics card hardware set-up since you didn't mention it but can you use your second monitor (the one you use for recording music) at the same time as using the TV?

All 3 are attached to your PC? You can't run 3 independent monitors off one card unless you're using DisplayPort for at least one of them (something to do with timings, I believe)

Exactly, so if you turn the TV on (or it wakes up for whatever reason) it must force a disconnect of one of the other devices (the main or 2nd monitor) and that causes all your crazy windows minimising etc.

I have 2 GTX 570s so I could run lots of monitors :p#
I only use 1 or 2 at time though. Also should I call ghostbusters or is there a logical explanation for my monitors randomly activating?

What happens if you turn all 3 on and run them as an extended desktop? Right click desktop > screen resolution.

I think I know what's causing it. SLI seems to be activating and deactivating itself.

Oh and yeah when I turn all 3 on.... all the of the monitors turn on :p

The SLI configuration option has vanished from the Nvidia desktop control panel, which is somewhat irritating.

Edit: GETTING TROLLED BY NVIDIA

Spent ages looking for a solution to the missing SLI issue. Checked hardware etc... I then rolled back to an out of date driver, and the option reappeared!
I then decided to see what happens when I reinstall the latest driver again. As expected, the SLI option vanished once again.. For some reason I decided to click the blank space where the SLI option was supposed to be, and an extra tab appeared in the menu....

scaled.php

So I have invisible SLI settings. Trololol good game Nvidia.

Back