Supreme Commander OPEN beta

well, I (tried) to play my first game, it was far too laggy, so I gave up....dunno what was wrong.

I got the, "Attempting to connect" message after a long black screen...yeah...wasn't there a closed beta to this?

I played it for 10minutes, it isn't a game you can pickup and play, it looks complicated. The graphics are good and have that old game feel to it, like bold greens. The one thing I dislike is how sluggish it is, I couldn't play to well, much to be fixed and I'll play the Demo release when it's out.

Been waiting for this, can't wait to get in, in line right now.

Same here

After numerous attempts, I get a black screen with hand cursor change on random places, and text cursor near the buttons..but all in a black screen. I hit escape and the game minimized, then I open it up again, coming to the "Attempting To Connect" message for infinate time....

I guess I'll wait for a release and hope for it to be more polished.

I played it for 10minutes, it isn't a game you can pickup and play, it looks complicated. The graphics are good and have that old game feel to it, like bold greens. The one thing I dislike is how sluggish it is, I couldn't play to well, much to be fixed and I'll play the Demo release when it's out.

the low fps is due to the fact that the game is almost entirely unoptimized at the moment, which will of course change in the final game.

Strange that you people are having problems, I hosted a few games (and got my ass kicked every time) and they worked fine. The game never stutered but froze one time. The only problem I had was that I couldn't connect to some games, so thats why I hosted.

the connection problems are because (if you're doing ranked) one of the people has to have correctly forewarded ports. If neither person does then the game can't connect.

Another thing is that I keep losing my connection to GPGnet. If I'm in chat it'll suddenly spout "***YOU HAVE LOSE YOUR GPGNET CONNECTION***" 3 times.

Sounds like the beta isn't entirely worth it atm.

If anyone has a LAN mod for 3.8, give me a link :) Me and my brother are trying to play but it just hangs at "Trying to connect..." and we're assuming it's because we have the same internet IP. LAN would be much easier (and we wouldn't have to go through GPGNet)

It seems you have to be rather lucky to get to even try out the game.

Another thing is that I keep losing my connection to GPGnet. If I'm in chat it'll suddenly spout "***YOU HAVE LOSE YOUR GPGNET CONNECTION***" 3 times.

sounds like they're having bandwidth issues; as a comparison:

I got into the beta when there was like 2200 people
before they totally opened it up it was like 7000 people
open beta = 23000 people

that's a lot of connections to handle, especially with a new client program.

You just copy lua.scd to /gamedata/ right?

It didn't work for me. Game looked 100% the same and didn't have any button changes at all :(

I managed to get to the menu just fine, but when I try to use GPGNet I can't create a new account... says something about my internet connection? :|
Ah well, I'll just use the skirmish/lan cracks...

Alrighty, I used the v38 LAN/AI/Skirmish patch and I went ingame... clicked on skirmish... chose a map... and it just stayed on 'Trying to Connect'.
Either it takes awhile to load, or I did something wrong?

Just says "Trying to Connect" when I load a Skirmish game...

Same here. Eventually I got sick of it and just uninstalled the damn thing. I'll wait for the full game, I don't need some buggy beta to satiate my apitite.

haha! I love this, now I can own all the open beta noobs.

I just crushed one 10 minutes ago....the brilliance of overcoming a commander with a small attachment of tier 1 units with great strategy. The commander is nothing but a big lumbering giant with a big stick. All you have to do is avoid his slow gait and hide behind hills and you can take him down easily, that is, if he doesnt have any support.

Same here. Eventually I got sick of it and just uninstalled the damn thing. I'll wait for the full game, I don't need some buggy beta to satiate my apitite.

I was about to just quit and uninstall, but then I d/led the skirmish/lan patch, and since I can finally play it, hooray!

Uninstalled, runs way too sluggishly.

Uninstalled, runs way too sluggishly.

There's a problem I don't notice. It runs fine for me, granted, I find it rather difficult to aim at things, since the only way most of the units are a decent size are when you're very zoomed in. The only time I really had any slowdown was when my commander was created, and when he died...

Hmm, Maybe I gotta check out the video options, but I thought I maxed em \=

If you're having connection trouble, forward your ports and start a ranked match.

If you're having performance issues, set fidelity and shadows down. If your performance is related to units, there's not much I can tell you, other than play with fewer units on a 1v1 map.

Just says "Trying to Connect" when I load a Skirmish game...

Loaded straight in for me.

I uninstalled SC anyway, it has such a poor performance, not sure how the majority of people can test it if they can't play it.

Can't wait for a proper demo, from the small amount that I did play... the game seems really deep and epic.
I love the unit sizes, personally.

Can't wait for a proper demo, from the small amount that I did play... the game seems really deep and epic.
I love the unit sizes, personally.

I guess I can get used to unit sized, but I like to be zoomed out just a bit, where you can see the commander a bit, but he's not just the icon...

Seeing little green guys charge in, I can't tell what is what unless I zoom...makes tactics kind of difficult.

And is it me, or does the commander NOT listen to orders some times?

*EDIT* wooo, did better than last time...got up to 70,000 points, instead of dying at 10,000! I'm getting there! Damn Easy AI.

Man, now its gotten too easy. There are far too many noobs! The last 5 games I've played have been the other person's first game. I've just taken to porcing for 4 hours building monkeylord after monkeylord until they finally hit me with a sizable force, and then I just go in and crush them....its really quite depressing.

Man, now its gotten too easy. There are far too many noobs! The last 5 games I've played have been the other person's first game. I've just taken to porcing for 4 hours building monkeylord after monkeylord until they finally hit me with a sizable force, and then I just go in and crush them....its really quite depressing.

I wish I knew how to make a monkeylord :(

You probably zipped the files into the /patch folder. So instead of it being in the Supreme Commander folder, its in Supcom/patch/

Negative..
I'm running the 38 patched version and I replaced the files with the ones in the download.
Skirmish is still not selectable when I run the main client.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Make sure what Fliko said you did...and if that's the case, I noticed in order to play the game from it..you have to first put the files in their place, then run patch.exe.

I didn't run it, and I couldn't play skirmish.

Too bad you can't play LAN though..

To run with AI, you have to replace the lua file, log on to GPGnet and host a private game. Then you can pick the AI and play with them, don't bother loading the game directly and choosing skirmish.

Does anyone know a good build order? The AI micros better than a human. :(

You probably zipped the files into the /patch folder. So instead of it being in the Supreme Commander folder, its in Supcom/patch/

Nope, I'm not that dumb. :p

Somefool has the right idea, I think. But when I try to host a game it just says that supcom is corrupt and to reinstall. lol

Screw it

haven't played anyone yet, so far only set up a sever to build stuff by my self and learn what units do what.

But jesus, the sense of scale is awesome.

Also something i quickly learned. If a unit description has anything listed as
"strategic" it mainly means that it will kick ass but take forever to build.

I was building those strategic missle subs and was wondering why they were taking forever for such a relatively small unit. I wondered only until i realized that the nuke silos are called "strategic missle launchers" My suspicions were confirmed. I could now launch nukes from those subs. I can't wait till i play someone and just hide a few of these in some corner of a sea map as a last resort.

Also the strategic artillery for the UEF takes forever, but god damn. Its accurate as hell, you only have to worry about minimum range, and it never lets up.

Lastly after conducting a bit of a test. Portable shield generator tanks do not fare well vs nukes. And it seems the shields do not stack. Get yourself an actual missle defense, do not skimp.

I cannot wait till full release.

Alrighty, I used the v38 LAN/AI/Skirmish patch and I went ingame... clicked on skirmish... chose a map... and it just stayed on 'Trying to Connect'.
Either it takes awhile to load, or I did something wrong?

When you unzip the thing, you need to run an .exe that comes with the zip called "Patch.exe" in the
C:\Program Files\THQ\Gas Powered Games\Beta\Supreme Commander\bin (Example)

To get it to work.

Man, I had some mighty fun.. Got 23 Support Commanders in a tight circle and launched 2 nukes.

The explosion took up a quarter of the map and looked awesome

When you unzip the thing, you need to run an .exe that comes with the zip called "Patch.exe" in the
C:\Program Files\THQ\Gas Powered Games\Beta\Supreme Commander\bin (Example)

To get it to work.

Man, I had some mighty fun.. Got 23 Support Commanders in a tight circle and launched 2 nukes.

The explosion took up a quarter of the map and looked awesome

Yeah, that's what I told him to do, but I guess since it was the end of the page, nobody saw it...

And you DONT have to log onto the net to host a private game to play AI...I've been doing it in the game flawlessly....I don't know why you people bother opening the net connection..unless you can't get skirmish to work.

But yeah, I can't wait for the full game ever, this game rocks my socks off...anybody beaten a computer yet? I can't come close. And I don't mean on FFA...I beat a computer on FFA, but it was cheap, and easy. I mean 1v1.

Back