Supreme Commander OPEN beta

wow, you really must suck D:

I beat 'em all the time when people drop

watch replays, they help you get better

I'm sure they will, I don't think I'm doing horrible, still learning. I've only played 3 games. Each game getting better in score. From getting 15k when dead, to 70k, now getting a tie in score with him at 260k. Plus I havn't seen any replays to download. If you have link, post plz.

Wow, I didn't find any replays, but I found out more about the Aeons "Sacrifice" ability..that's awesome.

Only in 2vs1... The AI is fairly smart, but takes up a lot of CPU power

Yay! Finally beat my first AI!. I was doing a 3 land 1 air mantis rush. Just kept spamming him with Mantis, and made a couple other land factories to advance with. Started throwing t3 bots at him...his defence started to wear, then as my Spiderbot was finishing....his commander decides to go for a stroll down the path of my army. So they are all blowing him away, as I finally blow him up. I was so excited.

Thanks Hazar for recommending me those replays, they actually DID help...

Now a quick question. You can attach power generators and such to buildings to lower their usage of said resource. If you attach multiple of the building, does the usage go lower and lower? Or does it stop at a set number?

Now a quick question. You can attach power generators and such to buildings to lower their usage of said resource. If you attach multiple of the building, does the usage go lower and lower? Or does it stop at a set number?

If you attach a single power generator the engery usage lowers by. So a t1 exactor with a single t1 power genertor will use 1 less energy. If you attach more it lowers it by one again.

If you attach a single power generator the engery usage lowers by. So a t1 exactor with a single t1 power genertor will use 1 less energy. If you attach more it lowers it by one again.

I was watching a replay, and this guy had 2 t1 generators attached to a t1 extractor, and it went from 2 energy usage to 1..didnt lower it to 0. So I'm guessing you can't obviously take away the energy usage. Is there a cap of how much lower you can make it go?

Ok... so after you extract the lua file into gamedata and patch into bin, run the patch.exe file, you just open GPGnet and host a passworded game?
Gah!
Thats exactly what I did and it says my files are corrupt.

Guess i'll re-download and reinstall...
=/

Ok... so after you extract the lua file into gamedata and patch into bin, run the patch.exe file, you just open GPGnet and host a passworded game?
Gah!
Thats exactly what I did and it says my files are corrupt.

Guess i'll re-download...
=/
I just go straight into the main game, and skirmish..I am the same way, game says files changed/corrupt....Can you not go into a skirmish game?

I just go straight into the main game, and skirmish..I am the same way, game says files changed/corrupt....Can you not go into a skirmish game?

Nope, it cant be clicked.

I even just reinstalled the whole game and re-applied the files and ran that patch... still nothing. wtf is up with this
=/

Yay, finally played someone at the same skill level as me.

It was insane, we were both cybran and we actually reached the 500 unit limit. The entire middle of the desert map was filled with debris of hundreds and soon thousands of Tier I and Tier II units. Gradually, however the debris got closer and closer to my base until I had Tier III siege assault mechs right at my last line of defense.

Stupidly, I sent all of my ground forces and bombers to meet the mechs, when I should have stayed back, hit them with artillery and blew past them to his own base.

While my army was distracted by these 25 or so assault mechs, all of the sudden a huge formation of transports blew past my AA defenses and landed a massive army of perhaps 150 Tier II units right behind my front line.

As half my army reatreated from battle to defend the base, the other half was obliterated by the overwhelming force of assault mechs, leaving the rest of my army in pursuit of the overwhelming army of tanks, artillery and rockets headed towards my main base.

Suddenly, my enemie's army simply stopped, and waited for my pursuing force to catch up. I thought I had fooled him, and would be able to take a substatial amount of his forces out, but as my army battled in vain with his attacking force, the assault mechs finished off the other half of my army, and joined the fray.

Outnumberred and outgunned, my army was annihilated, leaving my base undefended save a few Tier II turrets and about 10 tanks. He simply rolled over me, which resulted in a nuclear explosion from my commander, and ending in my surrender.

Man, I love this game.

Yay! Finally beat my first AI!. I was doing a 3 land 1 air mantis rush. Just kept spamming him with Mantis, and made a couple other land factories to advance with. Started throwing t3 bots at him...his defence started to wear, then as my Spiderbot was finishing....his commander decides to go for a stroll down the path of my army. So they are all blowing him away, as I finally blow him up. I was so excited.

Thanks Hazar for recommending me those replays, they actually DID help...

there is a limit, its different for each building though

a good strategy to use for mid game economy is to build several t2 power plants and surround them with t1 mass fab's. The powergenerators will still give you about +300 energy after powering all the fabricators which will give you +16 mass if you have them surrounded.

there is a limit, its different for each building though

a good strategy to use for mid game economy is to build several t2 power plants and surround them with t1 mass fab's. The powergenerators will still give you about +300 energy after powering all the fabricators which will give you +16 mass if you have them surrounded.

Sweet...I'll have to use that. And is it me, or are the Aeons *Teleporter guys* have a disadvantage? I seem to have gotten raped the last time I used them.

after playing around with the nukes, i've noticed something.

You know how in most games featuring nukes, how multiple nukes overlap but don't interact with each other...

I just realized that nukes in SupCom that are fired at the same time at the same target do not overlap, they stack. The more nukes you drop at once, the larger the yield of the explosion.

It took a while and a lot of resources just playing the game without an opponent on that map with the one big island with a lagoon in the middle. But i managed to build about 12 silos and fired them all at once at the other side of the island. The resulting explosion engulfed well over half of that side. Unfortunately though that actual kill radius was significantly smaller.
But damn was it spectacular.

yep they do stack

go into sandbox with cheats on and build a bunch of support commanders and detonate them all at the same time :p

F***ing file is corrupt when i finished the dl, teach me not to play online games while sh17 is dling.

you enable them when you make the game

ai_InstaBuild is one I think, supcom is handy like steam with all the available commands popping up in the console (also ` to bring it up, or you can type / in the chat, but then the list won't come up).

Blingbling or something like that is give yourself a onetime income of like +99999 energy and mass

hahaha, it works a bit better if they don't hit the same place exactly, but still inside one of the others blast radius.

meh....after playing company of heroes....this beta felt like a step back in RTS gaming.....just another get resources/and or rush then build as many globs of units as possible then attack. Repeat.

meh....after playing company of heroes....this beta felt like a step back in RTS gaming.....just another get resources/and or rush then build as many globs of units as possible then attack. Repeat.
You're playing it wrong and someone could describe CoH that way too.

Well, they're entirely different types of strategy games.

Right now strategy seems to be divided into a few camps:

Starcraft/Warcraft style (which, beleive it or not includes dawn of war and company of heroes, they share many of the same elements)
This style is generally based on tactical manuvering, careful balancing of units and a very distinct set of strategy rules that the palyer must follow. They also include off-map "powers" for the races and unique build units. Scales range from realistic to slightly unrealistic. Limited resources for all except company of heroes, in which resources are based on territory. These games are all generally highly polished and highly enjoyable.

Command and Conquer style (currentley dying, but another game is on the way) No build units, more futuristic settings, a build strategy related to "buying" stuff of screen and then having it magically appear onscreen. There is extensive off-map support from superpowers. Strategy involves out-expanding and outmanuvering your opponenet. Somewhat realistic scales. Limited resources.

Age of Empires style ( an enormously successful style incorporating all of those annoying "ages" games) More fantasy setting, extremely unrealistic scales, balancing based on rock-paper-scissors, winning relies on teching up faster than your opponent by researching. Heroes are abundant and there is not much tactical or strategic depth aside from the complex build tree. Limited resources.

Total Annihilation style (There are very few of these, and supreme commander is the latest) Focus on scale and simulation. Balancing is based simply of firepower and physics. Realistic scales, quick gameplay, no off-map powers, no "heroes", immensley powerful "superunits" that cost alot of money. Two unlimited resources, one of them based on control of key points. Winning relies almost entirely on out-producing your opponent and hitting them where and when they least expect it. It is also extremley important to maintain a strong defensive line and base defenses. These games also have by far the best aerial and naval combat of any strategy game to date. These games are also extremely difficult and have a high learning curve.

Well, they're entirely different types of strategy games.

Right now strategy seems to be divided into a few camps:

Starcraft/Warcraft style (which, beleive it or not includes dawn of war and company of heroes, they share many of the same elements)
This style is generally based on tactical manuvering, careful balancing of units and a very distinct set of strategy rules that the palyer must follow. They also include off-map "powers" for the races and unique build units. Scales range from realistic to slightly unrealistic. Limited resources for all except company of heroes, in which resources are based on territory. These games are all generally highly polished and highly enjoyable.

Command and Conquer style (currentley dying, but another game is on the way) No build units, more futuristic settings, a build strategy related to "buying" stuff of screen and then having it magically appear onscreen. There is extensive off-map support from superpowers. Strategy involves out-expanding and outmanuvering your opponenet. Somewhat realistic scales. Limited resources.

Age of Empires style ( an enormously successful style incorporating all of those annoying "ages" games) More fantasy setting, extremely unrealistic scales, balancing based on rock-paper-scissors, winning relies on teching up faster than your opponent by researching. Heroes are abundant and there is not much tactical or strategic depth aside from the complex build tree. Limited resources.

Total Annihilation style (There are very few of these, and supreme commander is the latest) Focus on scale and simulation. Balancing is based simply of firepower and physics. Realistic scales, quick gameplay, no off-map powers, no "heroes", immensley powerful "superunits" that cost alot of money. Two unlimited resources, one of them based on control of key points. Winning relies almost entirely on out-producing your opponent and hitting them where and when they least expect it. It is also extremley important to maintain a strong defensive line and base defenses. These games also have by far the best aerial and naval combat of any strategy game to date. These games are also extremely difficult and have a high learning curve.

Sounds about right to me...

Ok, here is something weird. I had my T3 Strategic Missles up, and I'd launch one at a base that had T2 Missle Defense, and it would still hit him. Is there a reason for that? Is it because the T3 can't be hurt by the T2 defense?

Sounds about right to me...

Ok, here is something weird. I had my T3 Strategic Missles up, and I'd launch one at a base that had T2 Missle Defense, and it would still hit him. Is there a reason for that? Is it because the T3 can't be hurt by the T2 defense?

Yes. T2 is "tactical", which is short range and low altitude, so it can be shot down by conventional weapons like lasers and machineguns

T3 is "strategic" or long range and high altitude, so it can only be reached by your antinuke defenses, which are also T3 and quite expensive.

it's kind of a civ4 turn based overview map hybrid with rock paper scissors real time simulation combat

Sorry, I was thinking of traditional realtime strategy.

Of course there's turn-based strategy of all kinds, and don't even get me started on simulation or small-unit strategy games, or even first or third person strategy games...board games...etc.

Yes. T2 is "tactical", which is short range and low altitude, so it can be shot down by conventional weapons like lasers and machineguns

T3 is "strategic" or long range and high altitude, so it can only be reached by your antinuke defenses, which are also T3 and quite expensive.

Alrighty, that makes sense.

Anybody else having the problem of mutliplayer? I downloaded the game again, uninstalled, reinstalled, then downloaded the latest patch in hopes that I could play online again. No go. It's worse this time. I start to join the game, go through the splash screen...black screen. It locks up completely.

Any idea?

Anybody else having the problem of mutliplayer? I downloaded the game again, uninstalled, reinstalled, then downloaded the latest patch in hopes that I could play online again. No go. It's worse this time. I start to join the game, go through the splash screen...black screen. It locks up completely.

Any idea?

sure your firewall is configured properly? it could be messing up because it can't send any traffic.

Back