Surprise! Portal 2 Coming to Playstation 3

Wow.
This is just ****ing terrible.
Portal 1 came to the PS3. I fully expected #2 to be ported as well.

I'm not even mad. Just disappointed in Valve.

Valve released to all platforms at the same time iirc, it wasn't a port. Then they decided that the PS3 was an evil evil thing and pledged to stay away from it.

Valve released to all platforms at the same time iirc, it wasn't a port. Then they decided that the PS3 was an evil evil thing and pledged to stay away from it.

They develop for the PC. It was a PC port to consoles.

So the surprise is... Portal 2 isn't actually a game?

They develop for the PC. It was a PC port to consoles.

*shrugs* Semantics I guess. They've made two games, both of which weren't released on the PS3, since then, and they've done nothing to indicate that they were going to change that policy.

Ok the trailer is actually kinda nice.

But the suprise, while good news, sucked. I'll get it for pc anyway.

Wheatley's accent is funny.

Baah, I think it's cool enough. People have been crying over the non-console 'policy' valve have been running for years..

Valve promised a surprise relating to Portal 2 and this is surprising news related to Portal 2. Congrats to idiots who interpreted that as "WE'RE GOING TO HAVE THE BEST NEWS EVER ALSO EPISODE THREE!" I imagine 99% of people who know Valve are surprised by this. That's all they promised.

Needed to be done. One wonders whether a Left 4 Dead bundle will follow.

I think even some who weren't expecting immediate HL3 are a bit disappointed though. Not many of us really care about PS3.
Damn valve for not catering their announcement to our whims :(

I've seen it yet I can't believe. What made Gabe Newell set aside his imense hatred for all things PS3 and decide to pring Portal 2 to it? Did Sony threat one of his relatives? Did kidnap his children and wife? Did they put a halt to his steady supply of doughnuts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXc5ltzKq3Y

Surprise Valve fans! ;( My alternate universe would all be like "Gabe: Well the community had a rumor stating that Valve would show off Half-Life 3 on Source Engine 2. We had to deny this but it was actually true and is our surprise. I now present Half-Life 3 on Source engine 2. Enjoy." /fans all over the world go ape shit

I'm basking right now. Oh yes.

To be honest...we kind of ignored the 2 Russian guys Valve employed from Naughty Dog about 6 months ago. It should have been obvious, they had expertise in PS3 programming from previous titles they had shipped.

And you call that a surprise? Valve, you can do better than this.

Valve promised a surprise relating to Portal 2 and this is surprising news related to Portal 2. Congrats to idiots who interpreted that as "WE'RE GOING TO HAVE THE BEST NEWS EVER ALSO EPISODE THREE!" I imagine 99% of people who know Valve are surprised by this. That's all they promised.

It's not that. It's just that they said it would be a surprise. They even make a whole cryptic message about it and canceled a whole conference that was supposed to be really cool.

And for WHAT?

Oh, we're going to release our game on a console. Woopee.

I'm basking right now. Oh yes.

I'm sorry you have been so neglected by Valve you no longer care about what they do.

the animations in the trailer look pretty spectacular

Valve uploaded the trailer to FTP and there is a real surprise at the end:
32657636.png

49861605.png
This real?

Hey man, are you serious? Something about Half-Life at last?

I was about to check Valve's FTP - the image is fake. It's G-Man from Black Mesa's trailer.

Seriously, it's easy to fool you guys.

After the Left 4 Dead 2 reaction last year, Valve did the sensible thing and pre-warned their paranoid fanbase that this year, a surprise would come on a certain date, and it would be completely about a certain game only. And people still found a way to be surprised at the surprise they weren't surprised with.

Nice going, hero.

OK guys. Wake me up when Portal 2 is out. I don't think we will hear something about the next Half-Life until mid-2011. Damn you Valve, I'm getting old.

Frak Apple, Frak Sony. This is terrible I hate Sony fanyboys that would always make fun of Gabe and say how shitty Valve was because they never got any of their games. Now all the Sony d-bags will be like "omg I love Valve and they are the best what are you talking about I never said I hated Valve." People are right PC gaming is dying, we are starting to lose the only thing that kept it afloat (Steam) and soon we'll be the ones getting the shitty EA ports of Valve's games. I bet Valve will eventually forget who kept them alive in the beginning just like every other developer that started on PC (Epic games,iD,Lionhead,Volition,Bioware,Remedy, Red storm). All we'll have left is Maxis and Blizzard once everyone starts spending most of their resources on console development and we get more terrible ports of games like GTA4, Assasins Creed and games with consolitis (soon to be Crysis 2).

Frak Apple, Frak Sony. This is terrible I hate Sony fanyboys that would always make fun of Gabe and say how shitty Valve was because they never got any of their games. Now all the Sony d-bags will be like "omg I love Valve and they are the best what are you talking about I never said I hated Valve." People are right PC gaming is dying, we are starting to lose the only thing that kept it afloat (Steam) and soon we'll be the ones getting the shitty EA ports of Valve's games. I bet Valve will eventually forget who kept them alive in the beginning just like every other developer that started on PC (Epic games,iD,Lionhead,Volition,Bioware,Remedy). All we'll have left is Maxis and Blizzard once everyone starts spending most of their resources on console development and we get more terrible ports of games like GTA4, Assasins Creed and games with consolitis (soon to be Crysis 2).

Sorry? Is Steam going somewhere?

Oh, by the way, that Portal 2 trailer was terrific!

It's not that. It's just that they said it would be a surprise. They even make a whole cryptic message about it and canceled a whole conference that was supposed to be really cool.

And for WHAT?

I would imagine they decided to cancel the conference and then created that message with the emphasis on a surprise to make up for it.

I'm sorry you have been so neglected by Valve you no longer care about what they do.

Valve has become such a shitty company.

Also, even if Valve had put that GMan 2012 thing in there, would that really ****ing matter. "Oh shit, Valve hasn't forgotten that Half-Life exists!"

And for WHAT?

Exactly. It's not some awesome surprise like "Portal 2 to have co-op mode" or "Portal 2 to ship with Ricochet Source as multiplayer" :(

Also, even if Valve had put that GMan 2012 thing in there, would that really ****ing matter. "Oh shit, Valve hasn't forgotten that Half-Life exists!"
At least I would know they are making it.

At least I would know they are making it.

I would be very happy with a single, very little piece of information: will there be an Ep3 or a brand new Half-Life 3? After 4 years (no one is expecting something in 2010 anymore) a short episode would be ridiculous.

No, I downloaded the trailer from the FTP directly and uploaded it here, no alterations - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzMFB6hvXXI

I've slowed it down with VLC to individual frames and there is nothing there. Another photoshop. Also...like Valve would give a 2012 release date, that's 2 years away, it's stupid.

Back