Team Fortress 2 Cross Platform Play - Maybe Not the PS3...

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
Blame EA. That's all I can say. It's their fault - It always is. They're the reason Christina turned you down for prom; They're the reason for high oil prices.[br]In a recent interview with IGN, Robin Walker discussed the progression both Valve and EA UK were making in the production of Team Fortress 2. Whilst Valve has cross platform play working well between the PC and Xbox 360, EA has not held up their end of the bargain with the Playstation 3 port of the game - They won't be working on any network code that will allow PS3 users to talk to X360 users. But don't fret! EA is packing in code that will allow PS3 users to talk to... Other PS3 users, so your beast of a home entertainment system won't be a complete waste.
Doug Lombardi: The PS3 version is being done by EA over in the UK, and they don't have all the networking stuff in yet to do anything other than [pause] it's rending and running the games and whatnot, but they're still dropping in the network layers. They're going to be using a piece of code that EA uses for its PS3 multiplayer stuff. Chances are the PS3 version will only play other PS3s. There's zero chance of them talking to 360s.[br]Robin Walker: Yeah if PS3 and Xbox people play together they'd just argue the whole time.
There's a lot more to this interview. It's four pages long, and is freakin' detailed. I recommend that you actually take the time to comprehend all of the information. Can you do that?[br]Read it herehttp://pc.ign.com/articles/779/779677p1.html.

Haha. More proof that sony takes the shaft in there in their ass.

360 + PC > PS3

There will be no fanboyism in the News & Announcements section!!

360 > PS3

Can't wait for this game.

I wonder if the PC players are going to completely destroy the 360 ones in combat.

IGN: To grossly oversimplify everything, is each version roughly at the same stage of completion?

Doug Lombardi: No, everything starts on the PC and then migrates over. Because the Xbox 360 stuff is being built internally here the loop on that is like hours or days, and the PS3 stuff, naturally, because it's going over to the UK with a different team lags by a week or two. But they're not months apart.

IGN: So everything is still set for release in September?

Doug Lombardi: We're looking at the back-to-school timeframe.

IGN: Back-to-school timeframe?

Doug Lombardi: Right in September. Ish.

IGN: Ish?

Doug Lombardi: We don't have a solid date yet.
God, this made me laugh out loud :D

EA is packing in code that will allow PS3 users to talk to... Other PS3 users, so your beast of a home entertainment system won't be a complete waste.
So that would be... Who exactly?
The lobbies are going to be really empty.

me is looking forward to kicking xbox360's players asses!!! muahahahahaha...
i gonna pwn them all with thier freaking analog sticks... lal :p

I wouldn't like to talk to xbox users as a Ps3 user, you would have exactly what you have here and everywere else on the web.
Just this time it inst the small post you can choose not to read, no, its in the form of 13 yo nooby voices, in you're ear , while playing. horrible.

-didi

me is looking forward to kicking xbox360's players asses!!! muahahahahaha...
i gonna pwn them all with thier freaking analog sticks... lal :p

Easy there buckaroo... Like the man said, this game's more about strategy than aim. 360 players will be a formidable force when they're playing as engineers, heavies, etc. Just feel free to votekick one from your server if they take the sniper slot. ;)

I hope there isn't going to be any of that class limiting bullshit.

does that mean we have to get GFW Live Gold ?

Technically I'm not sure that TF2 is even a GFW game title in the first place. Like they said, it's not final and they're probably talking to Microsoft, cause techincally to get cross-platform you should have a Gold subscription.

One thing though... When can we pre-order that black box??? The day it goes up, Valve will have my money in their bank account. :smoking:

I'm certainly not paying a subscription just to play with 360 users.

XBOX360 user: XBOX roxxsss!!!
PS3 user: no, PS3 kicks XBOX360 ass!
XBOX360 user: no it doesn't!
PS3 user: oh yes it does..
XBOX360 user killed by PC user
PS3 user killed by PC user
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Although I'd pick a PC over the PS3 or Xbox 360 any day, I'd have to pick a Xbox 360 over a PS3.
Anyway...
Correct my if I'm wrong, but when Doug Lombardi said
There's zero chance of them talking to 360s.
I think he means playing with Xbox 360s... not literally talking via mic. So either the PS3 will be able to play with PCs and other PS3s or just PS3s, right?
Sounds like a complicated network.

Although I'd pick a PC over the PS3 or Xbox 360 any day, I'd have to pick a Xbox 360 over a PS3.
Anyway...
Correct my if I'm wrong, but when Doug Lombardi said

I think he means playing with Xbox 360s... not literally talking via mic. So either the PS3 will be able to play with PCs and other PS3s or just PS3s, right?
Sounds like a complicated network.
No, the PS3 players will be totally seperated.

actually after maybe the first week or month there won't be any xbox360 players. I mean who would want to get the assets handed to them round after round ather round by PC player. :p

PC FPS is superior. Silly console users that is not how you play the game.

Console = auto aim...

I can't wait until more cross-platform games come out to get rid of the myth of console players losing to PC players 9.9 out of 10 times.

If a dumb developer released the exact same game with no changes to either PC or X360, sure the PC would win. However, a smart developer tweaks the platforms to make them level, ala ShadowRun. Not dumbed down for either system, but a perfectly leveled playing field that relies on player skill and not the platform.

Hence why 50% of replies in this thread are stupid.

ala ShadowRun. Not dumbed down for either system, but a perfectly leveled playing field that relies on player skill and not the platform.
Wait... you don't think the PC version of shadowrun is dumbed down control wise? :O

And you spelt "Hey" and "Spelled" wrong.

:D

In all seriousness, EA sure made a crappy decision on this.

Wait, sony is not giving them any shit with live and that.
Hence I would have expected pc users to be able to talk to sony users and play with them, since unlike with the xbox they do not have to go trough ms, so no hassle.

How did you know the woman who turned me down for the Prom was named Christina? That is just freaky.

RAWR, I'M A DRAGON.

I've come from the year 3,000 to devour you all.

I'm being really bloody serious.

Let's sing songs long into the night, and I'll look into your eyes and know love, and we'll kiss and FAST FORWARD 300 YEARS and our graves are side by side. Isn't it sweet? There's something profound in that but I'm not sure what.

Who's up for ice cream?

RAWR, I'M A DRAGON.

I've come from the year 3,000 to devour you all.

I'm being really bloody serious.

Let's sing songs long into the night, and I'll look into your eyes and know love, and we'll kiss and FAST FORWARD 300 YEARS and our graves are side by side. Isn't it sweet? There's something profound in that but I'm not sure what.

Who's up for ice cream?

The ****?

Back