Team Fortress 2 Gets Unlocked!

Well, most of the Achievements will be pretty easy to get, I think you don't even have to hunt for the most of them, you'll get them accidentally.
That is, if this list doesn't lie.

Edit:
Maybe they'll introduce grenades.
Oh yeah, I forgot. The second new weapon for each class will be nades. Demoman will get a BFG-equivalent instead.

The unlocks are just alternates; they're not "better".

People seem to like Call of Duty 4's unlock system and those I believe actually do give actual advantages. So TF2's should be even better... I'm lookin' forward to it.

unlocks keep stat whores playing, keeps the userbase higher longer in my experience

also a new game mode is damn awesome, better that than more CP.

Meh...I don't really know about this RPG esque level up system gained from achievements. As long as it is more like the battlefield type of unlock instead of your standard online RPG one where a new player has absolutely no chance facing a player who wasted his life playing the game.

Keep in mind I'm sure "pure" servers will still exist, in which the gameplay remains at release-style balance.

How is that possible? The server would have to play on an old client, which is impossible for Steam users to do.

What happens when one team gets stacked with people without the unlocks, suddenly they not only have a skill disadvantage but also a weapon disadvantage too.
I think that the idea is that the new weapons are different but not always better than the originals.
Making them unlockable with achievements is just a way to keep things simple for beginners (not as many options) and making sure that the player knows all the ins and outs of the class. They shouldn't be that hard to unlock anyway.

How is that possible? The server would have to play on an old client, which is impossible for Steam users to do.
Valve might add a server command to turn off the unlockable content.

The different loadouts should be available immediately to anybody. I think the loadouts will be very similar to the originals but will accommodate the players play type.

Like the sniper for instance, he has the sniper rifle and SMG. But, a diff loadout could be a faster shooting and faster reloading sniper rifle that deals less damage with a secondary desert eagle that is powerful but, medium-slow firing and has a pretty long range. So, like some CS players they would scout to bring some HP down enough to then close into the enemy to deagle them, finishing them off. Little shit like that, which accomodates players style but, won't stray away from the class's true purpose.

Sounded great until the whole unlockable things came up. What next? You can buy a new class! Oh shi-!

Actually I bet it's gonna be the ability to change your secondary weapon.

So if you're a pyro, you could get a normal pistol instead of the regular shotty.

Actually I bet it's gonna be the ability to change your secondary weapon.

So if you're a pyro, you could get a normal pistol instead of the regular shotty.

This hardly changes the role of the Pyro. Won't happen.

...they balance major advantages and disadvantages to fundamentally alter the role of that class.

Pistol is better at long range but less effective at close range. That fits pretty well with the description.

"Alterring the role" is pretty vague imo

Pistol is better at long range but less effective at close range. That fits pretty well with the description.

"Alterring the role" is pretty vague imo

"Fundamentally alter the role" isn't vague at all. The pistol wouldn't fundamentally change a Pyros role at all.

O well

So basically are we supposed to expect 2-3 new weapons/tools for each class?

TF2 sure won't be the same. It'll be even better :naughty:

We can expect one new weapon / ability to fundamentally alter the role of the class... like the Medic's example.

Okay, so fundamentally meaning that a class's role can be changed by choosing opposing load-outs? IMO I don't like it at all if a Medic can turn out to be an assault based class instead of a healing based class due to load out changes. It gives them no uniqeness, especially seeing soldiers healing everybody per se.

^ The medic is getting two new healing guns, so so far the additions aren't changing the role of the class just giving the player options as to how to go about achieving that role.

Wow!
This was really unexpected and it sounds frickin awesome.
Way to go Valve! :)

At first I disliked the idea of unlockables as it could alienate new players. After all if all the medics around you have better stuff I'd be annoyed. But really this might not be bad at all. One thing I dislike about Counterstrike (aside from the players) is that there's so many damn options. What guns do I want, armor, extras. Too much for me to sit down and learn by trial and error. If I was dumped into TF2 with multiple options I'd have the same problems. Too much to choose, too overwhelming. But if I have to become a proficient player in a class to earn extras, then I'll know the class and weapons, and be given a new one to try. And then once I'm good with that new weapon I can get another one.

Really these extras might give tactical players an edge, but it really might not be any more of an advantage than they already have. And in the end we get the best of both worlds, a game you can jump into and learn quickly, and one that will hopefully allow enough variation as to stay fresh.

Okay, so fundamentally meaning that a class's role can be changed by choosing opposing load-outs? IMO I don't like it at all if a Medic can turn out to be an assault based class instead of a healing based class due to load out changes. It gives them no uniqeness, especially seeing soldiers healing everybody per se.

The new weapons are class-specific.

YES!! I hoped for achievements unlocking some content, now I actually WANT to complete them.

A single crit rocket, and bye-bye buffed scout.

They'll probably make it so the overheal targets cannot be healed by the medigun until they die.
That wouldn't be a bad compromise at all. If it's like that then it would probably be fairly balanced with uber, but it still brings up the question of what happens if two overcharge medics are on the same team - one healing the medic healing the Soldier in front, so you have a 200% Medic and Soldier to contend with.

Some of you are forgetting that one of the achievements for the medic was to just to play as a medic, most of the achievements looked extremely easy, no 10,000 kills or whatever.

I think it would be absolutely amazing if they introduced vehicles into TF2 with their own specific maps for it, I think that would create an amazing new dynamic for gameplay, even what class you play affecting the vehicle! I can just imagine it being like Crackdown where you get in and the car transforms.

I think it would be absolutely amazing if they introduced vehicles into TF2 with their own specific maps for it, I think that would create an amazing new dynamic for gameplay, even what class you play affecting the vehicle! I can just imagine it being like Crackdown where you get in and the car transforms.

No.

No no no no no no never in my life! never in you grandchildren's lives! never.

No. :rolling:

Because this isn't Battlefield?

I'd like to drive one these dump trucks in hydro. Just for the sake of it.

Or that old '50 looking black and red pickup :naughty:

Maybe the other medi-gun will get uber's more often but is unable to overheal, Valve will probably go for something more creative but I would find it handy - I always seem to die before (or just before) getting uber :angry:

I'd like to drive one these dump trucks in hydro. Just for the sake of it.

Or that old '50 looking black and red pickup :naughty:

I get the urge to drive the ol' ship in Granary in the skybox :p

/ballscratch tbh
image.php

When are these new features available, does anyone know ? or have i missed release date previously posted.

Back