The big misc Politics thread

seinfeldrules said:
Odd considering the mainline media is considered mostly liberal. Refer to CBS's document story if you will. Or how they wanted to break the Iraq munition problem the day before the election.

And yet Fox news gets more viewers than every other network. And in a poll done before the election, it was found that high percentages of Americans thought we found WMD's in Iraq, we found ties to Al Qaeda, and the international community supports us.

That is just disgusting. You should be ashamed to call yourself an American at all if this is how you truly feel. Why not just make it offical and move somewhere else.

If you can't take morbid humor, then that's your problem.

Why do you look upon that as an insult? From those americans I've spoke with, that seems to be exactly the case. There were a lot of people who should've done more research and try to be abit more open minded and they may have voted for a more qualified candidate, that's all I'm saying.

What Americans? On this board. That isnt real America. They did do the research and voted for who they wanted. Just because they didnt vote for who you wanted doesnt mean it wasnt educated for them. Get over yourselves, your opinion isnt perfect.

damn, this thread went from kinda funny to complete shit real quick :(
oh well, i guess it's better that it's confined in here at least :)

And yet Fox news gets more viewers than every other network.
Probably because they are sick of the liberal slant.

If you can't take morbid humor, then that's your problem.
I dont see how you can find humor in killing someone your fellow countrymen voted into office. Im sure it would be real amusing to you if it really did happen.

seinfeldrules said:
What Americans? On this board. That isnt real America. They did do the research and voted for who they wanted. Just because they didnt vote for who you wanted doesnt mean it wasnt educated for them. Get over yourselves, your opinion isnt perfect.

Well, americans all over IRC and americans reporting on the news.

My opinion isn't perfect, but the last time I checked it's mine.

Well, americans all over IRC and americans reporting on the news.

My opinion isn't perfect, but the last time I checked it's mine.

Then apparently you arent talking to the majority of Americans that did vote for Bush. Those same Americans you shamed for not 'researching' the canidates and basically called them stupid for voting Bush. Your opinion as you mentioned is yours, it doesnt mean you need to insult others, or shame them, for holding an opposite opinion.

There were a lot of people who should've done more research and try to be abit more open minded and they may have voted for a more qualified candidate, that's all I'm saying.

seinfeldrules said:
A colossal moron that scored higher on his SATs then 90% of Americans and attended Yale. You can whine all you want, but no progress will come out of it. You are only hampering the progress of this country.

SATs. Yeah, I think those were before his days as a coke fiend party boy. And how exactly did he pass Yale? Oh yeah, he passed with Gentleman C's. Yeah, that's some real academic achievement, buddy. Bush was born rich. He didn't get anywhere because of his intelligence.

And if you want to accuse me of hampering the progress of this country, then go ahead. Election results were only a few hours ago, so I fail to see how I'm being at all detrimental. Or should I just 'lighten up" and "live with it" and adjust to this situation after a matter of seconds?

As there seems to be quite the furore right now here's my position.

I'm authorising Farrow and TDE to continue as is until we get something in place. I have asked Munro for a politics sub forum to shunt everything into for the time. But I AM NOT having the numerous threads that simply end up flame, hate filled spam taking over this section. Yeah there are guys here who are the perfect gentlemen and I would trust 100% to conduct themselves in a proper manner. However there are others who act like twerps.

If this offends you at all then I'm sorry but in my opinion the antagonism that results in the bulk of the politics threads is more than enough justification for the moment. Obviously this is a highly charged political climate which is why I've asked Munro for a politics sub forum till things are back to normal such as they can ever be.

As for the comment about films and games and music. They've shown themselves consistently to be busy enough to warrant their own boards. Everything as always will be subject to review.

seinfeldrules said:
Probably because they are sick of the liberal slant.

Or because it's just easier and more comforting to imagine that everything is smooth-saling in the US of A.

I dont see how you can find humor in killing someone your fellow countrymen voted into office. Im sure it would be real amusing to you if it really did happen.

If you don't get morbid humor, then I won't bother trying to bring you around to it.

And if it did happen... Meh, I'll save that reaction for when the time comes.

seinfeldrules said:
Then apparently you arent talking to the majority of Americans that did vote for Bush. Those same Americans you shamed for not 'researching' the canidates and basically called them stupid for voting Bush. Your opinion as you mentioned is yours, it doesnt mean you need to insult others, or shame them, for holding an opposite opinion.

You don't call an unborn child stupid for not knowing about the outside world. Even the most intelligent men on earth can be extremely narrowminded, it's human nature. I never said every american who voted for bush did a bad move, I'm talking about the minority who I'm being told about on IRC and by the people who speak in the news.

SATs. Yeah, I think those were before his days as a coke fiend party boy. And how exactly did he pass Yale? Oh yeah, he passed with Gentleman C's. Yeah, that's some real academic achievement, buddy. Bush was born rich. He didn't get anywhere because of his intelligence.
C's in Yale arent exactly something to scoff at. Actually, a diploma from Yale period isnt something to scoff at.

Or should I just 'lighten up" and "live with it" and adjust to this situation after a matter of seconds?

You could lighten up some. At least respect Bush for winning. I mean a death threat, joking or not, the day he won doesnt show much hope.

I pesonally feel that reguardless of who won or lost, our country desperately needs to rally around its leaders and work together to improve our country. Sitting around being ashamed of your country and telling more than half of the citizens (voters) that they are "redneck morons" isn't going to do this country any good. The man won the election fair and square. It wouldn't hurt to respect the majority's decision and work to improve current issues, instead of insulting half the country for what you consider apparent ingnorance.

I'm not gonna go into the politics of thread-deleting here. I'm just gonna give my two cents about the election.

The problem with this election is that it proves the USA is behind the rest of the free world in terms of ideology. Mind you it's only 51% of your population that still thinks technologically-advanced weaponry makes the Ununited States the "best country in the world".

For the americans who voted for Kerry, I feel sorry for you too.
For the americans who voted for Bush, what the **** is wrong with you?

'nough said

Or because it's just easier and more comforting to imagine that everything is smooth-saling in the US of A.
Yeah, because lying about documents and puropesly holding off stories for an agenda is really showing the true colors of the USA.

And if it did happen... Meh, I'll save that reaction for when the time comes.
I wont hold my breath over your reaction. It is quite clear how it would go.

I never said every american who voted for bush did a bad move, I'm talking about the minority who I'm being told about on IRC and by the people who speak in the news.
Well those people in the IRC and the news hold an agenda as well. It is likely they wouldnt be saying the same thing if Kerry had been the victor today. Look at it from that angle.

I can't belive that people would be stupid enough that they would vote for a president that did an "pre emtive strike" that is invaded another country because the president said that they are a threat to the US and to the world, when in reality, they coulndn't even invade kuwait their army sucked so much.

seinfeldrules said:
Well those people in the IRC and the news hold an agenda as well. It is likely they wouldnt be saying the same thing if Kerry had been the victor today. Look at it from that angle.

Indeed. It's hard to know what really is going over there in this faraway small cold country. :eek:

I pesonally feel that reguardless of who won or lost, our country desperately needs to rally around its leaders and work together to improve our country. Sitting around being ashamed of your country and telling more than half of the citizens (voters) that they are "redneck morons" isn't going to do this country any good. The man won the election fair and square. It wouldn't hurt to respect the majority's decision and work to improve current issues, instead of insulting half the country for what you consider apparent ingnorance.

Exactly. This is precisely what the rising star of the Democratic party, Barack Obama, said in Illinois. He said that people on both sides need to work together without the partisan hackery to accomplish something. I respect that kind of message, I hope he backs it up.

seinfeldrules said:
C's in Yale arent exactly something to scoff at. Actually, a diploma from Yale period isnt something to scoff at.

Do you know what Gentleman C's are? It has nothing to do with academics. It essentially means that you were a ****-up, but your bloodline bailed you out.

You could lighten up some. At least respect Bush for winning. I mean a death threat, joking or not, the day he won doesnt show much hope.

As I said before, I can't respect the man. I detest him.

Yeah, because lying about documents and puropesly holding off stories for an agenda is really showing the true colors of the USA.

What's your point here? I sincerely doubt that Bush is the essence of the American Spirit, and so wouldn't consider him above lying and falsifying.

I wont hold my breath over your reaction. It is quite clear how it would go.

Okay, you can go ahead and make that assumption. Whatever it might be.

What's your point here?

You said they should watch networks like CBS instead of FOX. Well, with those kinds of tatics you can see why people are moving away from CBS.

I sincerely doubt that Bush is the essence of the American Spirit, and so wouldn't consider him above lying and falsifying.
No politican is.

As I said before, I can't respect the man. I detest him.
Again, we must work together to accomplish anything.

I just want to say to people; read CrazyHarij's sig and then read seinfeldrules.

As far as I can tell that sums up my feelings on peoples differeing opinions quite well. :(

When will you people learn that going after these people using force is making the problem worse. You need to improve you're reputation arround the world. Not start more fights.

You need to understand that it is absolutely imposible to win the war you are wageing against terrorism. Because every "terrorist" or "insurgent" you kill will have a family and they will become angry and vengefull and they will strike back in future generations. Just as they are today.

Its imposible to wage war against a enemy who will never back down unless you intend to commit genocide. And don't you dare suggest it.

You can't win the way you think you can. :(

I don't want to hear anymore of this "We have to rally around our president; what we need is acceptance" bull. I heard the same thing four years ago when Gore lost the election, about how we needed to come together and stand behind our President. I believed it then, and I followed it then despite the intense controversy. I won't be making that mistake again. Look where that got us, look where we are today. I can't respect Bush, I can't respect his administration, and I have lost all respect and sympathy for the people of this country that would not only put him back in office, but give him a Republican Congress as well. This is not the time to sit back and mourn our loss.

seinfeldrules said:
You said they should watch networks like CBS instead of FOX. Well, with those kinds of tatics you can see why people are moving away from CBS.

I never said that they should watch CBS. I would prefer it, however, if Americans gathered their sources from a variety of sources. I check out CNN, BBC, FOX, and a variety of other sources before I make a decision. Too many people in America are content with sitting down and JUST watching FOX or JUST watching CNN. That's dangerous.

But FOX has proven consistently to be far more right-leaning than other stations are left-leaning.

No politican is.

Never said otherwise. You seemed to be insinuating that Bush somehow was. If that's not the case, then excuse my misunderstanding.

Again, we must work together to accomplish anything.

I am willing to work together in order to unite America. But if that means uniting America under the flag of Bush, then I'll take no part in it. If that means turning America into a theocracy of fear, legal discrimination, warmongering, and dangerously righteous patriotism, then I'd rather America stay divided until next election.

I am willing to work together in order to unite America. But if that means uniting America under the flag of Bush, then I'll take no part in it. If that means turning America into a theocracy of fear, legal discrimination, warmongering, and dangerously righteous patriotism, then I'd rather America stay divided until next election.
So that means for the next four years you will do nothing but bicker? Imagine what will happen 4 years after that if a Democrat is elected. No Republican would be willing to help him/her.

I never said that they should watch CBS. I would prefer it, however, if Americans gathered their sources from a variety of sources. I check out CNN, BBC, FOX, and a variety of other sources before I make a decision. Too many people in America are content with sitting down and JUST watching FOX or JUST watching CNN. That's dangerous.

But FOX has proven consistently to be far more right-leaning than other stations are left-leaning.
They are only right leaning because the media middle is to the left to begin with. I was watching CNN, CNBC, and CNN last night. I found the coverage to be pretty even. CBS looked like a fish on land however. FOX refused to call FLA for Bush until well after the other networks called it for him. They still have him down as 174 when the other networks have him at 186 and up.

seinfeldrules said:
They are only right leaning because the media middle is to the left to begin with. I was watching CNN, CNBC, and CNN last night. I found the coverage to be pretty even. CBS looked like a fish on land however. FOX refused to call FLA for Bush until well after the other networks called it for him. They still have him down as 174 when the other networks have him at 186 and up.

Can I just point out that in Britain we have conservatives and labour as the main two parties (With the social democrats gaining more support all the time might i add)

The conservatives are pretty much the equivilant to you're democrats ....

But we dont have anyone as right wing as you're republicans even really in the running.

Our country is being run very very well at the moment irregardless of what people say. Our ecconomy is fantastic, healthcare and other state services are receiveing more funding than ever before....

Just wanted to point out that so called "liberals" can get the job done. Hell your "liberals" are on classed as right wing here!

Wing the exception of nader of course. Hes a tree hugger! (From what I have heard neway....) :thumbs:

Just wanted to point out that so called "liberals" can get the job done. Hell your "liberals" are on classed as right wing here!

I never said they couldnt :D ! As I mentioned I am going to keep a hopeful eye on the Democrat Senator, Barack Obhama, from Illinois. It is the far left leaning liberals that refuse to accept President Bush at all that worry me.

I can see why the political threads got erased ...any other time I would have agreeed with the decision ...but so soon after the most important election of the last quarter century? People are angry, people are scared, people need an outlet ..sure HL2.net isnt the place for it ..but many of us see each other as our peers ..if you cant discuss an important issue with people who share certain things in common who are we supposed to turn to?

frankly I couldnt find a more international forum if I tried ...It's not often I get to talk to people from sweden or the UK or australia ..I value their perspective because it isnt the same as mine

edit: I hate how some of you use the word "liberal" ..it's derogatory

CptStern said:
I can see why the political threads got erased ...any other time I would have agreeed with the decision ...but so soon after the most important election of the last quarter century? People are angry, people are scared, people need an outlet ..sure HL2.net isnt the place for it ..but many of us see each other as our peers ..if you cant discuss an important issue with people who share certain things in common who are we supposed to turn to?

frankly I couldnt find a more international forum if I tried ...It's not often I get to talk to people from sweden or the UK or australia ..I value their perspective because it isnt the same as mine

edit: I hate how some of you use the word "liberal" ..it's derogatory

With different races of people. Well, not too sure. But thats besides the point and I'll just zip my zipper.

Bush Rules!! Yeaa Get Some!! Get Some!!!! Shove It Liberals!

Farrowlesparrow said:
Yeah...does it cause you to lose sleep at night I wonder.

I totally missed this golden comment. I'm not sure, but I assume you're accusing certain people of not being genuine with their political concerns. Believe it or not, people do honestly care about what's going on in the world. Sane people do take the current political and social climate of their country seriously. Amazingly enough, people have begun to really care about things. I've only met a few apathetic people on these boards, and a few of them are on the staff, which is interesting isn't it? This wouldn't be them personally muzzling discussion would it now?

KidRock said:
Bush Rules!! Yeaa Get Some!! Get Some!!!! Shove It Liberals!

kidrock you are the embodiment of everything that people hate about americans:

ignorance, stupidity, arrogance and above all a false sense of superiority

thankfully you do not represent all americans

seinfeldrules said:
So that means for the next four years you will do nothing but bicker?

No. I will mind my own business here in Europe and let America twist itself into shit. Hopefully people will learn at some point that they screwed up.

Imagine what will happen 4 years after that if a Democrat is elected. No Republican would be willing to help him/her.

Because he wouldn't support warmongering, legal discrimination, undoing the separation of the Church and State, and BS wars? Yeah, if no Republican is willing to help out that kind of rational and compassionate human begin, then I guess America is proper ****ed.

This is not to say that those are all exclusively Republican qualities. I don't disagree with Bush because he's Republican. I disagree with him because of his actions. Not his party.

So in order to balance out the liberal slant, they hose people with conservative bias?

There really isn't a middle ground anymore. You have the liberal-slanted groups like CNN and CBS up against the die-hard conservative news beast of FOX. And I don't think FOX does well because people are sick of a liberal bias. If they mind their politics that much, they'd know to check a variety of sources. It's just that FOX tells people what they want to hear. More importantly, the way they present their information is appealing. The president is doing great, the United States is A-OK, the War on Terror is making excellent progress, Michael Moore is a bag of crap, and--Hey! Bill O Reilly is sticking it to those pesky Liberals in a fun and entertaining fashion!

CptStern said:

hahah why would I care what a CANADIAN thinks. BUSH FO LYFE

People are angry, people are scared, people need an outlet

People are happy, people are cheery, people need an outlet to gloat! ;)

Name one stance upon which you are conservative stern.

CptStern said:

Yeah because everyone who doesnt support Kerry isnt an American to you. You have made that quite clear over time.

Because he wouldn't support warmongering, legal discrimination, undoing the separation of the Church and State, and BS wars? Yeah, if no Republican is willing to help out that kind of rational and compassionate human begin, then I guess America is proper ****ed.

This is not to say that those are all exclusively Republican qualities. I don't disagree with Bush because he's Republican. I disagree with him because of his actions. Not his party.

And I would have disagreed with Kerry based on his actions. Doesnt mean I would have called him even a quarter or any of the names you are calling Bush. Face it, you're stance is on the extreme left wing side of American society right now.

CptStern said:

Well thank you stern, he truly doesn't represent me. And all I want to say is sorry, sorry to the rest of the world who had such a huge stake in this election as well, I'm sorry to our children and our childrens children who will have to repair and repay this deficit and this economy, and who will not have proper retirement or healthcare to look forward to.

I'm sorry to all who were disenfranchised during this election due to dirty tricks like fliers telling them their polling place has changed only to find out when they get there that it hadn't and that they couldn't vote.

I'm terribly sorry to our men and women fighting in Iraq who (and I know at least one soldier and his entire company) who wanted a change and couldn't get it. Even though they are fighting and dying they weren't heard.

Most importantly i'm sorry for the people who couldn't see through the fog of lies that this man and his entire administration have spread, they aren't patriots or comrades and aren't strong on defense or good for the economy.I'm sorry that the people couldn't decipher the lies they were spoon fed over the last four years and I'm sorry that they honestly the believe the next four will be any different... if not the same, worse.

I did my part, and I feel betrayed. I feel betrayed by this system, I feel betrayed by the government and I feel betrayed by the religous right who thinks dropping bombs is better than gay marriage. And you know what, some one said it already, I'll say it again. From here on out, we get what deserve.

More importantly, the way they present their information is appealing. The president is doing great, the United States is A-OK, the War on Terror is making excellent progress, Michael Moore is a bag of crap, and--Hey! Bill O Reilly is sticking it to those pesky Liberals in a fun and entertaining fashion!

Back