The Decline of Music

nipples

Reaction score
The majority of mainstream music is just ****ing dumb. I mean come on, most of it is about: A) Having sex B) Having sex with a slut that everyone wants to have sex with C) Going to a party D) Being emo E) All of the above.

Tonight on my way home a song came on the radio by a band called "Hollywood Undead", for those of you that don't know them its basically what you would get if you mixed The Beastie Boys, good, and Linkin Park, shit. The result is horrible. At one point in the song the vocalist raps the line "So what the **** do you know about being a gangster?". Which of course sounds like "So wut da **** do ya no bout bein a gangsta?"

Gangster, seriously?! These guys aren't gangsters, they are ****ing pussies. Just look at their picture.

1522965697_l.jpg

They look like they are trying to copy Slipknot and be fags at the same time.

Edit: I can't get the image on here.

It's pretty well established that 'gangsta' = ****tarded. But I do like quite a few of the current mainstream bands (Oasis, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc.)

I've found it hard to enjoy some of the bands people here seem to like. The Mars Volta, for example.

On a related note, Soulja Boy is an embarrassment to the human race.

So you don't like music made for teenagers.

You're, like, growing up, or something?

I like MGMT, but that's about it lol. Mainstream music can be good on occaision, but often it sucks ass.

Also... GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRL, YOUR SEX IS ON FIRE (guitar riff here bitch) GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRL, YOU'RE SUCH A DAMN LIIIIAAAAAAR!

Linkin park was good till Minutes to midnight. Now they are a band of wannabe wussies.

So you don't like music made for teenagers.

You're, like, growing up, or something?

Yeah, Nirvana, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Prodigy, Bob Marley, RHCP, etc etc are all retarded shit that teens used to like. IMO teens should have a better taste in music than their parents. And besides most teens listen to the same crap their parents do now.

Yeah, Nirvana, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Prodigy, Bob Marley, RHCP, etc etc are all retarded shit that teens used to like. IMO teens should have a better taste in music than their parents. And besides most teens listen to the same crap their parents do now.
My theory is that by the age of 20 people have been sufficiently exposed to unusual music, but are young enough to appreciate the latest trends too.

Mainstream music has always mostly been crap.

Music is only getting better these days. Your problem is thinking that mainstream = all.

Aha, beastie boys and good should never be congealed in the same sentence. Talk about taking two cultures and slamming them together.

Anyway, I think the music being played these days is just shit in general. Dizzee Rascal is on the airwaves. Enough said about the quality of music...or whatever it is he thinks he's making.

Theres too many kids in this world buying shit music to be cool or fit in with the masses of friends.

And for the love of god, what is with the UK and drum and bass? And dance music? ARGH!

Maybe its just Radio 1 though...

*Nostalgia injection and falls back into his chair with relief* *sigh* bring back the 70s and REAL music, wheres Dire Straits when you need them.

So you simply have different taste than a lot of people?

HOLY ****ING SHIT DECLINE OF MUSICKKKKKSSSS

It just seems like no ones really trying to make music. Anyone can just throw together a simple drum beat, a few power chords, a bassline and some generic lyrics about sex.

That is what I'm getting at.

Everyone is wrong. I'm wrong if I try to declare which music is good and which is bad. That's the point of music, it's aimed at different people who appreciate. I mean my god I'd rip my ears off before being subjected to country music, but theres shitloads of people who love it and despise the music I like. There is no "decline" of music, just you happening to dislike lots of the popular music today and feeling that it's a sign of the times.

oh and Beastie Boys = win

Theres good music outside the mainstream.

Hardstyle ftw

I like MGMT, but that's about it lol. Mainstream music can be good on occaision, but often it sucks ass.

Also... GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRL, YOUR SEX IS ON FIRE (guitar riff here bitch) GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRL, YOU'RE SUCH A DAMN LIIIIAAAAAAR!

I ****ing hate that song...but my girl loves it :(

I barely ever listen to any mainstream music, but I just heard some of Kanye West's new album, and...holy shit. It's ****ing good, and I don't really like his older stuff that much.

And yeah, I saw MGMT live before they became hot stuff. They were pretty cool.

The camps have always been divided into those who like mainstream music and elitists who think their music is so much farther ahead of the curve that it blows everything else out of the water.

Enjoy what you want to enjoy, but don't bash others for what they enjoy.

It just seems like no ones really trying to make music. Anyone can just throw together a simple drum beat, a few power chords, a bassline and some generic lyrics about sex.

this is a damn silly thread.

We can bitch all day about shitty music but because it's making someone somewhere money it's not going to go away.

Yes there is shitty music; There's plenty of good music too.

The majority of mainstream music is just ****ing dumb. I mean come on, most of it is about: A) Having sex B) Having sex with a slut that everyone wants to have sex with C) Going to a party D) Being emo E) All of the above.

Tonight on my way home a song came on the radio by a band called "Hollywood Undead", for those of you that don't know them its basically what you would get if you mixed The Beastie Boys, good, and Linkin Park, shit. The result is horrible. At one point in the song the vocalist raps the line "So what the **** do you know about being a gangster?". Which of course sounds like "So wut da **** do ya no bout bein a gangsta?"

Gangster, seriously?! These guys aren't gangsters, they are ****ing pussies. Just look at their picture.

1522965697_l.jpg

They look like they are trying to copy Slipknot and be fags at the same time.

Edit: I can't get the image on here.

There is plenty of non-mainstream music that is being made which is quite good, hell even mainstream music in not so mainstream musical genres. The real decline of music came after the Romantic period.

You only hear this sort of music if you go out of your way to hear it. And the thing is, the mainstream isn't even half of what the rest of the world is doing music wise. I wouldn't even call it 1%.

Obviously the mainstream is what's going to be on during the bus ride home or playing in the clothes store in town, but I just choose to ignore it and it really isn't a problem to me. You just gotta look a little harder, man, but these days I can find new and interesting music on the fly thanks to the Internet.

Its not about how music now sounds or anything, I'm not trying to bash it and say that other people are stupid for listening to it. A lot of "artists" now are making music for the sake of making money and not music, this would be the decline.

I guess there has always been people trying this, but now it seems more apparent. Although decades ago there may have been the same amount of this going on and the music may have died out over the years.

I only listen to the radio on Wednesdays and I almost always hear the same stuff, luckily a lot of it appeals to me, this is probably due to the radio station.

The inconvenient truth is that no matter the topic is when it comes to music, it always creates an argument based on personal opinions.

Ive kicked and screamed at people more about this than drunken convos of the meaning of life, god and the universe.

So just because your musical opinions conflict with that what is considered popular nowadays, its means music is declining. How amusing.

In terms of empirical evidence the decline would have been after the baroque era during which nearly everyone in Europe was trained in a musical instrument. Yes musical talent can vary and what is pop doesn't necessarily mean talent but in a lot of cases the most emotional feedback will be from the simple, easy way of a 4/4 timing in a minor key or a driving bass line and being in tune with your body and it's responses to sound waves is very interesting and anyone that tells you that you are in the wrong for feeling the way you do about your music is just guarding their own insecurities of feeling unintelligent or not cultured.

It's your reality, don't let others shape it for you. Live how you want to live.

So just because your musical opinions conflict with that what is considered popular nowadays, its means music is declining. How amusing.

I meant that it seems like people are only making music to make money.

Back