the End is Here: Foxnews declares the PC is dead

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
It was fun while it lasted, but as of 2011 the era of the desktop computer is officially over.

In this iPhone-crazed, connected-TV obsessed, high-speed Internet world, the desktop computer is no longer relevant. All those reams of desk-bound e-mail have given way to terse texts from Blackberries. Those zippy, graphics-intensive games are now the domain of consoles like the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

The vast majority of computer users don't spend days working on CAD engineering programs to create complex 3-D wire frames. Or crunch massive amounts of data to assess the results of a pharmacological assay. Truth be told, most of us have been using PCs to read e-mail and cruise the news. But now, there are better devices for that.

with tiny screens and keyboards that take you 10x as much time to do it on your desktop. I for one cant wait till my work desktop is replaced with a mobile phone

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/11/pc-is-dead-ces-tablets-smartphone/#ixzz1AkTCtpmK

anyways foxnews/the media in general need a kick in the balls. after every single electronic show mainstream media doles out the hyperbole as if it's their last meal

This is beyond retarded. The idea that smaller=better is incredibly stupid.

"Hey man, check out my new computer with this 24" screen, i can do anything with it"
"Oh yeah? Can you carry it in your pocket?"
"What? Why would i want to do tha-"
"LAME"

Wow. How can they say this? I got an image in my head of everyone in the Fox News offices all trying to update/write their articles on blackberrys and iphones and their tiny screens/keyboards.

Sure the graphics are nice on the PS3/xbox, but they're better on my PC. Control of FPS games is better with my mouse and keyboard. Any kind of data entry is so much easier and faster on my PC. I can use my PC for pretty much anything, I can use my phone for texting, email and facebook.

GG Fox "news".

Ugh. I've been using a laptop almost exclusively for three years and I can say as convenient as it is to be able to bring it into college I really miss having a proper PC with a real keyboard and not having to bend over to look at the screen. Also I really don't see offices and labs switching over to laptops because that would simply be goddamn pointless.

This means about as much as Prince declaring the internet to be over.

Well, if foxnews.com says it, it's probably worth refuting at length. Those folks run an honest and well to do business.

Ugh. I've been using a laptop almost exclusively for three years and I can say as convenient as it is to be able to bring it into college I really miss having a proper PC with a real keyboard and not having to bend over to look at the screen. Also I really don't see offices and labs switching over to laptops because that would simply be goddamn pointless.

This means about as much as Prince declaring the internet to be over.

Pretty much.

And the media had been saying this all last year. It's true, mobile devices have been, and will continue to get tons of attention - meaning: funding, research, new product launches, Operating Systems, and news coverage, etc. It's like the new baby in the family getting all the attention while the other kids get neglected. Hilarious.

I will continue to not give a shit while my desktop will do anything they can do and a million more things, and do them all better.

I too prefer my sedentary lifestyle for the time being (this is subject to change)

Some people just need a kick in the balls/****, like the author of this editorial.

I like how the author of this editorial believes he has the authority to officially declare things, especially something so provocative as this. Idiot.

So, if the social aspect of the computer has been inherited by other devices, its existence is now moot. Makes sense.

I'm really, really glad we don't get these news channels here.

Seriously guys, get with the times! Some of the new portable devices can play even the most demanding games, like Angry Birds.

-Sent from my iPad

It's not as sensationalist you might think. i'll just leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WkbpeePeCM

sure its a long way from replacing a true desktop experience but the gap is closing.

edit: this is more than just a HD output , the USB Peripherals are connected right into the phone.

Well if you believe Fox News, you should have also believed Buggles when they said video killed the radio star. Last time I looked, radio wasn't dead.

As if the computer is at an "end". Pfft. PFFT , I SAY.

All I had to see was "Fox news" and something about technology in the title, and I knew it was going to be bullshit... And i was right. lolwut, fox kinewz

This is like saying the TV is dead because you can watch it on an iPad. There will always be a place for a desktop.

Can't play Half-Life on an iPod, so until they make an iPod that can max out Crysis, I will remain unphased.

Building gaming desktop PC's is a hobby to a lot of people, gaming PC's wont die for that reason alone.

sure its a long way from replacing a true desktop experience but the gap is closing.

Never. Think about it. Smaller devices are getting better yeah, but desktops with larger hardware will ALWAYS be faster than the current mobile tech. It's common sense man.

That's basically how I used my laptop. I used a USB hub with keyboard, mouse, gamepad, and external sound card plugged into it. So I just needed to plug in one USB port. I also had to plug in the monitor cord and the power cord, but it's not too bad. But there's the fact that it doesn't really have comparable processing power to a desktop.

For people that just browse the web and easy stuff like that, the phone hub could be very cool. I would want external hard drive/s plugged in [to the hub] to swap music files and backup photos, etc.

Back