The Falklands

Baserape>

Spy
Reaction score
Argentina has formally asked United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to bring the UK into talks over the sovereignty of the Falkland

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8533860.stm

What are your thoughts on Falkland. Is it worth potentially risking British lives over piece rock the British should have handed over decades ago? I understand the population is mostly British and the people should be protected from any Argentine hostility. But I feel the British government is delaying the inevitable. The Falkland islands will be repatriated with Argentina just like Hong Kong was handed back to the Chinese. It's only a matter of time....

Your thoughts please?

"Hand back"? The Falklands never belonged to Argentina.

Hong Kong was leased from China, that's a completely different situation. Besides it's not just a hunk of rock, there's (probably) oil in those waters.

right. just like how Denmark "owns" Hans Island instead of it's rightful owners; Canada

I'll fight the danes for the right to call this piece of rock part of canada.

hans-island-aerial.jpg

to the death!!! perferably their deaths)

DEATH TO DENMARK!!!

What are your thoughts on Falkland. Is it worth potentially risking British lives over piece rock the British should have handed over decades ago? I understand the population is mostly British and the people should be protected from any Argentine hostility. But I feel the British government is delaying the inevitable. The Falkland islands will be repatriated with Argentina just like Hong Kong was handed back to the Chinese. It's only a matter of time....

Your thoughts please?

FALKLANDS FOREVER BRITISH, AAAAH MOTHERLAND!!!!!

Plus Argentina's governments are disgusting expansionists.

It's quite rich of Argentina to be claiming our islands even while they live on lands that their EUROPEAN ancestors stole from the natives who they brutalized, and they have the audacity to insult the UK calling us imperialists and colonialists.

Rich someone called KIRCHNER or CHAVEZ decrying British imperialism (read: protecting our goddamn islands populated by our citizens), how quickly and conveniently they seem to forget the roles their ancestors had in defrauding the Amerindians of their lands and countries. Weren't any natives on the Falklands so unlike Mrs Kirchner I doubt the natives of Stanley can claim the dubious honour of having native blood on their hands.

****ing hypocrites.

Plus on an entirely practical note there's oil under those there seas and if the US can butcher entire swathes of the middle-east for it then I think the UK is within its rights to shoot down every ****ing Argentine aircraft that comes close and sink every Argentine ship that sails towards our possessions.

"Waaawaaa you sunk the Belgrano!" Yeah?

You invaded our islands and held our people hostage ****shit.

Seriously though, Argentina has no claim, just a desperate expansionist country which also enjoys deflecting criticism at home by firing up infantile last century nationalist greed and fanaticism.

Countries need to learn an important lesson, you threaten Britain, and we ****ing bite back. Fortunately the Argentine regime/people took the hint last time and have matured enough to refrain from such actions.

Really? You're playing the "they're hypocrites because their ancestors did worse stuff" card?

The people living in the Falklands have the right to continue to live there, however, Argentenes should be allowed to live there too without having to apply for British citizenship, some sort of partnership should be arranged.

However, one thing I believe firmly, Britian has no right to the Oil around the Islands, it quite clearly belongs to Argentina and Britians attempts to extract Oil from their show how selfish their motivations are.

Let the Falklands belong to the Falklanders, and the Oil belong to Argentina, with some of the profits going to help build Falkland infrastructure so it can exist without having to rely on UK or Argentine funding.

Why? Argentina has no legitimate claim on the Falklands, it just happens to lie right next to them. They might as well make a claim on Bolivia or Chile.

Why? Argentina has no legitimate claim on the Falklands, it just happens to lie right next to them. They might as well make a claim on Bolivia or Chile.

Why does Britian have a claim on Oil that is 10,000+miles closer to Argentina than it is to Britian? The fact is, Argentina is being denied one of it's most valuable natural resources which would massively help the people of Argentina.

The fact is, the Falklands could not exist as an independent state, it relies on foreign funding and is therefore nothing but the last few breaths of British imperialism.

The world will hit peak oil within the next 5 years, we need to get as much oil as possible.

The people living in the Falklands have the right to continue to live there, however, Argentenes should be allowed to live there too without having to apply for British citizenship, some sort of partnership should be arranged.

However, one thing I believe firmly, Britian has no right to the Oil around the Islands, it quite clearly belongs to Argentina and Britians attempts to extract Oil from their show how selfish their motivations are.

Let the Falklands belong to the Falklanders, and the Oil belong to Argentina, with some of the profits going to help build Falkland infrastructure so it can exist without having to rely on UK or Argentine funding.

I agree with most if not all you have said.

Plus Argentina's governments are disgusting expansionists.

It's quite rich of Argentina to be claiming our islands even while they live on lands that their EUROPEAN ancestors stole from the natives who they brutalized, and they have the audacity to insult the UK calling us imperialists and colonialists.

Rich someone called KIRCHNER or CHAVEZ decrying British imperialism (read: protecting our goddamn islands populated by our citizens), how quickly and conveniently they seem to forget the roles their ancestors had in defrauding the Amerindians of their lands and countries. Weren't any natives on the Falklands so unlike Mrs Kirchner I doubt the natives of Stanley can claim the dubious honour of having native blood on their hands.

****ing hypocrites.

Plus on an entirely practical note there's oil under those there seas and if the US can butcher entire swathes of the middle-east for it then I think the UK is within its rights to shoot down every ****ing Argentine aircraft that comes close and sink every Argentine ship that sails towards our possessions.

"Waaawaaa you sunk the Belgrano!" Yeah?

You invaded our islands and held our people hostage ****shit.

Seriously though, Argentina has no claim, just a desperate expansionist country which also enjoys deflecting criticism at home by firing up infantile last century nationalist greed and fanaticism.

Countries need to learn an important lesson, you threaten Britain, and we ****ing bite back. Fortunately the Argentine regime/people took the hint last time and have matured enough to refrain from such actions.

yeah cuz great britain never conquered any other territory past theyr own

and the falklands is where king arthur was born

:rolleyes:

Why does Britian have a claim on Oil that is 10,000+miles closer to Argentina than it is to Britian? The fact is, Argentina is being denied one of it's most valuable natural resources which would massively help the people of Argentina.

The oil lies within the Falklands economical zone and therefore, under international law, belongs to Britain.

The fact is, the Falklands could not exist as an independent state, it relies on foreign funding and is therefore nothing but the last few breaths of British imperialism.

CIA Factbook said:
The islands are now self-financing except for defense.

As I always say, never let them get whatever you have without a fight, even it's completely inane or useless.

As I also say, you can't have what you can't defend.

nothing but the last few breaths of British imperialism.
I am a super liberal hippy kind of guy, but I absolutely don't understand how you can say this when the islands are not only controlled by Britain and legally owned by Britain but inhabited by Britons who want to remain as Britain's. There aren't even any native people who've been suppressed - the island was uninhabited before Europeans started squabbling over it.

Why does Argentina have a claim to establish settlements? There aren't any Argentians there as it is, so it would be a kind of colonisation. There's no rationale. If the Shetland islands were closer to Norway than Britain, the Norwegians wouldn't be justified in laying claim to it.

Really? You're playing the "they're hypocrites because their ancestors did worse stuff" card?

678grumpy-posters.jpg

Solaris said:
Argentina is being denied one of it's most valuable natural resources which would massively help the people of Argentina.

Why. Why is it Argentine?

Why does the Falkland oil, which belongs to the Falklands to do with as they see fit belong to Argentina?

Why do the islands belong to Argentina? Geography?...unacceptable...history?...Britain's claim is stronger.

The people of the Falklands yearn to be Argentine?...nope.

You've got nothing, shush now.

RJMChavez said:
yeah cuz great britain never conquered any other territory past theyr own

Really?...well, your opinion mate. Don't know why its relevant though since I've never once mentioned Britain's history of war and conquest since it has no bearing on this particular topic whatsoever.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Really though, Argentina's claim is based on geography, which frankly is just a nicer word for "meh, we want it".

Chile is pretty close to Argentina, maybe they should claim it to....Uruguay is just across the water, might as well have that since it'll look nice on a map.
Could always complete the conquest of Paraguay.

The oil lies within the Falklands economical zone and therefore, under international law, belongs to Britain.
The Oil Exploration zone was declared by Britain just a decade or so ago, just becuase Britian decided that all oil 200miles around the Island belongs to them, doesn't make it so.

Why does Argentina have a claim to establish settlements? There aren't any Argentians there as it is, so it would be a kind of colonisation. There's no rationale. If the Shetland islands were closer to Norway than Britain, the Norwegians wouldn't be justified in laying claim to it.
The whole concept of nation states is very hard to work with on a moral scale. The people living there have a right to live there, yes. But I think Argentines should be allowed to live there too without requiring British citizenship.

Clearly, most of the 3,000 people living there were born there and have the right to self determination. However, I do not think 3,000 people can be remotely sufficient to earn many of the rights granted to a modern nation state (such as an oil explortation zone).

That's what it ultimately comes down too, becuase 3,000 people live on an Island, Britian think's it is entitled to a huge chunk of the natural resources of a developing country.

I stand along side the progressive governments of south America as they recover from their traumatic imperialist ridden past into progressive social democracy's.

The Oil Exploration zone was declared by Britain just a decade or so ago, just becuase Britian decided that all oil 200miles around the Island belongs to them, doesn't make it so.

No, Great Britain's warships make it so.

No, Great Britain's warships make it so.
Without American help I doubt they could defend the Falklands. Venezuela would join on Argentina side, maybe Bolivia and Chile too.

Internal dissent in Britian would probably make things very hard too.

Really?...well, your opinion mate. Don't know why its relevant though since I've never once mentioned Britain's history of war and conquest since it has no bearing on this particular topic whatsoever.

no bearing? lol them why you go whit the "omfg they want to conquer everything like they did when europe found america" while great britain tehnically was once the most extense empire of all

however the hard thing is that the people there dont want to be argentinians so it make it dificult but after all is more about pride and nationalism than anything else

chavez mentioned the same whit the dutch islands in the caribean and other european territories but there wasnt so much hustles as the malvinas case so he just wind that up cuz he is like that

and funny that no one mentions french guyana:rolleyes:

This isn't about French Guyana or Aruba, RJMC, it's about the Falklands. And the Falklands, as opposed to the other ones, was uninhabited when the British arrived.

The British has the same right to the Falklands as they do to Jersey.

The Argentinians are just being assholes, really. They have no claim on the islands, and the islanders don't want to be Argentine. Who would? They have a ****ed up spanish accent

This isn't about French Guyana or Aruba, RJMC, it's about the Falklands. And the Falklands, as opposed to the other ones, was uninhabited when the British arrived.

The British has the same right to the Falklands as they do to Jersey.
And the Oil around it? Britian are getting a lot of oil, as a direct benefit of their imperialist past.

The whole concept of nation states is very hard to work with on a moral scale. The people living there have a right to live there, yes. But I think Argentines should be allowed to live there too without requiring British citizenship.

Elaborate.

And the Oil around it? Britian are getting a lot of oil, as a direct benefit of their imperialist past.
I believe that up to 200 nautical miles (370 kilometres) from the coast is the agreed economic zone of a country. Why should it be any different in this case?

YEAH, that's right. Except when it's countries like China. Then you sheath your sword.

Back