The iPod Touch4 - a worthy replacement of my old mp3 player?

Unfocused

Companion Cube
Reaction score
So I got this idea today, that maybe I should replace my 2GB Creative mp3 player. It does the job right, but I think I could use something with a more comfortable interface (mine has this basic, 4-5 line screen, so yeah) and generally more functional and up-to-date.

By chance I had a look at the prices of the iPod Touch 4 and while they are definitely Apple prices, I think they may not actually be that bad. And of course it comes not only with an mp3 player but a lot of other stuff - from what I gather it's basically an iPhone without a phone, but at half the price.

What do you think, is the iPhone Touch worth considering or is it just an overpriced mp3 player with gimmicky features? BTW I do not own any Apple product.

Alternatively, what other mp3 players would you recommend? (note that I'd be fine with around 8GB of storage, don't need to put EVERYTHING on it)

Its apple so its gimmicky bull shit.

Save up and get a HTC desire.

I'd consider the cost of the iTouch the maximum I'm willing to pay for such a device. The HTC Desire is twice that price and I'm paying for a phone in there, and I don't need to replace mine.

So let's look at mp3 players (or basically portable multimedia centers nowadays) not phones. Thanks for the input though.

I'd consider the cost of the iTouch the maximum I'm willing to pay for such a device. The HTC Desire is twice that price and I'm paying for a phone in there, and I don't need to replace mine.

So let's look at mp3 players (or basically portable multimedia centers nowadays) not phones. Thanks for the input though.
Honestly, I debated this myself last year when I purchased an MP3 player. I was waiting to see what the Zune HD offered, and in terms of functionality, it was far lacking compared to the iPod Touch. Sure you can get Android based MP3 players, but none have the catalogue of apps, the camera's, the extremely good build quality.

I had the iPod Touch 1st gen and then the 3rd gen, and if I didn't have an Android phone that can do everything an iPod Touch 4 Gen can do except for Facetime, I would get one again.

I have the 4th gen 32gb iTouch and honestly love this thing to death. The screen is beautiful, it's much faster than the previous generations and limera1n was recently released which allows you to jailbreak it so the app capabilities are endless. Since you're coming from an ancient 2 gig Creative player pretty much anything you get is going to be a massive upgrade but you won't be disappointed if you get the iPod Touch.

Of the technology I own, my iPod touch is probably the most used. Music? Yea...I mean, I have music on it. but that usually only gets used in the car for long trips. It's a good music player, don't get me wrong...but it's an awesome device for everything else it does.

I wake up, I check email, news, weather, etc before getting out of bed. (brain booting up in the morning, it helps) While I have a netbook that I could do this on, it's far easier and faster to use the ipod.

During the day, I keep notes on it, and manage my budget. (All offline / on the device. Notes sync with dropbox so things like grocery list, etc are managed easily when I have wireless). Keeps news updates easy to get, basic web browsing if needed, etc.

It's WELL worth the 200$ price tag. If I lost mine, I'd buy another just like it. That says something IMHO.
It's the only Apple product I own, only one I intend to own at this point. Die hard PC user, netbook runs linux, and in general I discourage people from getting Apple products. (Although I will admit the build quality of the macbook pros is far superior to most out there, due to how it handles heat)

It's a more than worthy replacement for an MP3 player. It's also a nice little tablet in and of itself.

I prefer the iPod classic, but for the most part I don't have much use for features other than playing music and I prefer the bigger hard drive and lower price of the classic for that reason (I have over 200gb of music, so the 160gb classic at $250 is a much better deal than a 64gb touch at $400 for me).

I cracked the screen on my touch; first one I've broken since ipods were introduced. the touch saw more use than any other ipod I've owned. so much so that I dont think I'd buy another ipod that didnt have touch functionality. I dont listen to music all that much on my ipod; just podcasts and the occasional gaming

Alternatively, what other mp3 players would you recommend? (note that I'd be fine with around 8GB of storage, don't need to put EVERYTHING on it)
Rockboxed Sansa Clip+

Cowon iAudio 9

Don't bother with anything else.

It's really not, you're paying for a whole bunch of useless technology. Apple pretty much perfected a very good control scheme with the click wheel, do you really need to be able to scroll with a touch screen? I would personally get something cheaper, lighter, smaller, sturdier, and with more storage.

I ****ing love my Itouch you won't regret your purchase.

It's really not, you're paying for a whole bunch of useless technology. Apple pretty much perfected a very good control scheme with the click wheel, do you really need to be able to scroll with a touch screen? I would personally get something cheaper, lighter, smaller, sturdier, and with more storage.

Take down notes, get on the web if you're bored or in a pinch, maps if you're lost, contacts, emergency calculator, music, videos. I've beaten the hell out of mine and it's still in great shape.

Also Ipod classics are unreliable...but I agree price wise they are tempting but the Hard Drive in Classics are prone to fail.
Flash memory FTW

Yup, HL2.net still continues to fail in reading comprehension.

Get a ZEN bro, mine is fantastic. Got it two years ago, no dramas at all so far. It's tough as anything too, I dropped it about 4 metres onto concrete quite recently & it's still in perfectly good working condition.

I have no opinion on the iPod Touches, as I have my Droid to do everything *Yes, I know, a phone...you don't want one*. But everybody I know that has the iPod Touch says they love it, so I don't see the issue if you have a couple hundred laying around.

Ipod touch...

-Good battery
-Wi-fi
-Browser
-Apps
-Music
-Camera(newest one)
-Multi-tasking
-Shiny screen, thin design

I'd recommend it.

Buuuuttt... if you want just a plain mp3 player(simply for music purposes), I would recommend the ZEN, as JUL3 recommended.

Zune HD is still hands down the best media player ive used(dont give a shit about the crappy apps)

Zune HD is still hands down the best media player ive used(dont give a shit about the crappy apps)

See, they're not crappy at all. The Zune HD can ONLY do media really well. Other than that, you get bored with it. If you have a dumb phone and have a Zune HD. You're going to be upset you got the Zune HD. If you have an iPod Touch 4G, however, you're going to love every second of it. You'll get to play games, listen to music, videochat (if there is wifi), type notes, type papers if you so choose, play more games, take random stupid pictures, browse the web (wifi). I'm just saying. There's obviously more to do with an iPod Touch, but it's hands down the best all-in-one media player.

See, they're not crappy at all. The Zune HD can ONLY do media really well. Other than that, you get bored with it. If you have a dumb phone and have a Zune HD. You're going to be upset you got the Zune HD. If you have an iPod Touch 4G, however, you're going to love every second of it. You'll get to play games, listen to music, videochat (if there is wifi), type notes, type papers if you so choose, play more games, take random stupid pictures, browse the web (wifi). I'm just saying. There's obviously more to do with an iPod Touch, but it's hands down the best all-in-one media player.

*iPod Touch 4. The Touch doesn't have any data connection besides WiFi.

Sorry, I always cringe when I see people call it the iPhone 4G and Touch 4G.

Yea, posting again...

I owned a Creative ZEN. Still have it actually. It's been in a drawer since I got my ipod touch. I didn't think I'd use apps that much, but they are daily use for me. Not stupid little games, but readers, web browser, notes, dictionary, calculator, IM, the list goes on and on and on.

This really is the ideal device IMHO. Apple got a home run, and for a change I've no problem giving it to them.

*iPod Touch 4. The Touch doesn't have any data connection besides WiFi.

Sorry, I always cringe when I see people call it the iPhone 4G and Touch 4G.
Don't correct what I said. It's not called the iPod Touch 4, is it? No. It's called the iPod Touch. The 4G just means Fourth Generation. Get over it, Pauly. They call it the iPhone 4 for one reason only. Plus, that's the only device they actually gave a number to. They didn't call any new Nano the Nano 2, Nano fat 3.

Anyway, now that that's gone. Regardless if you need a WiFi connection for your iPod Touch, if you have apps that benefit from even remotely being on the phone, you can always use them and they'll sync via WiFi later. Any game you want to play on the Touch is billions of times better than any app on the Zune HD. They don't care to make worthy apps because it's a half assed version of Windows Phone 7.

The absolute ONLY thing the Zune does better than the Touch (IMO) is interface and media handling. That's it. The iPod Touch uses this incredibly basic player, and their layout, while it was new 4 years ago, is extremely dated and feels so incredibly drab. For the life of me, I can't fathom how someone could commit to that operating system year after year. The only way I could handle it is if I jailbroke it and themed it constantly. (Yay Android.)

Anyway, I still vote the iPod Touch FOURTH GENERATION.

NINJA EDIT: What's it say right next to this, Pauly? iPod Touch WHAT

FOURTH GEN. TO LET PEOPLE KNOW WHAT VERSION IT IS. NOOB.

Thanks for the responses. So, yeah, I decided to get it.

As for the Android phone suggestions - I was not completely opposed to getting a phone, it's definitely more convenient to carry one device instead of two (alternatively: have all the functionality in a phone I always carry with me). But there are a few factors that come into play for me:

1. A decent Android phone is more expensive and I don't want to spend that kind of money right now.
2. By the looks of it, the iPod Touch (and iPhone) has more quality apps at the moment - subject to debate of course, but I kind of look forward to playing Chinatown Wars on it.
3. Rather minor thing: I treat my phone well, but I want to be able to throw it around a bit, not worrying that I paid a significant amount of money for it.

And BTW I also got an invisibleSHIELD for it and am planning to wrap it up as soon as they arrive, as I heard the iPod Touch can quickly show signs of wear.

Infinity Blade....nuff said!

I'm on my 4th Bloodline right now its highly addicting :D

Don't correct what I said. It's not called the iPod Touch 4, is it? No. It's called the iPod Touch. The 4G just means Fourth Generation. Get over it, Pauly. They call it the iPhone 4 for one reason only. Plus, that's the only device they actually gave a number to. They didn't call any new Nano the Nano 2, Nano fat 3.

Anyway, now that that's gone. Regardless if you need a WiFi connection for your iPod Touch, if you have apps that benefit from even remotely being on the phone, you can always use them and they'll sync via WiFi later. Any game you want to play on the Touch is billions of times better than any app on the Zune HD. They don't care to make worthy apps because it's a half assed version of Windows Phone 7.

The absolute ONLY thing the Zune does better than the Touch (IMO) is interface and media handling. That's it. The iPod Touch uses this incredibly basic player, and their layout, while it was new 4 years ago, is extremely dated and feels so incredibly drab. For the life of me, I can't fathom how someone could commit to that operating system year after year. The only way I could handle it is if I jailbroke it and themed it constantly. (Yay Android.)

Anyway, I still vote the iPod Touch FOURTH GENERATION.

NINJA EDIT: What's it say right next to this, Pauly? iPod Touch WHAT

FOURTH GEN. TO LET PEOPLE KNOW WHAT VERSION IT IS. NOOB.

4G stands for the fourth generation of cellular wireless standards.

No, it's not the iPod Tough 4G *Standing for 4th generation* it's the iPod Touch 4th Generation model. Sorry if you said it wrong to start with ;)

@unfocused: How much did you buy the Touch for? You said it's cheaper than good Android phones, but if you go into a contract for the phone, they are usually just $200, or you can go on Ebay and find a decent one for 150-200.

In the end, enjoy your new Christmas present! :p

Unfortunately Apple have failed again to solve the iPod/iPhone's biggest problem; iTunes.

I only really say that because I wanted to burn it the other day. Why does detecting the folder all my music is in on my external drive have to be so ***KING DIFFICULT!?!?!

As a store and a way of listening to music, its great. For uploading, yeah, pretty easy. Managing it and user-friendliness? Ahaha. Ohhh they employed a right shrew for that one.

I ended up giving my iPod touch to my sister when I got a Classic 250gig and an iPhone 4, as she only had a Nano, and she loves it. It doesnt have a camera and cant make calls, but it does EVERYTHING else the new iPhone does. Browse the web, setup a one-touch email app, app store, weather, maps, blah blah blah etc etc etc, she's constantly on it wondering around the house.

The new one has of course added a camera, which now blurs the line between the iPhone and iPod Touch, with the iPhone basically only having 2 more things than the iPod; ability to make calls and send and recieve text messages...and thats about it.

It feels like a condolance for those that didnt get an iPhone 4 but want to stick with the trends what with the sexier design and how it roughly looks like the new iPhone. Wonder how many people walk down the street with their new iPod Touch pretending to be talking into it...

@unfocused: How much did you buy the Touch for? You said it's cheaper than good Android phones, but if you go into a contract for the phone, they are usually just $200, or you can go on Ebay and find a decent one for 150-200.

You'd have to take into account that the prices here are higher than in the US. I got mine for $300 and that's the 8GB one - the 32GB one is around $400. :sadface: As for the phone, it depends on the contract of course. I don't make a lot of calls, so I'm using pre-paid, but if I were to get one of the cheaper contracts, it wouldn't really shave a lot off the phone price.

The new one has of course added a camera, which now blurs the line between the iPhone and iPod Touch, with the iPhone basically only having 2 more things than the iPod; ability to make calls and send and recieve text messages...and thats about it.

It feels like a condolance for those that didnt get an iPhone 4 but want to stick with the trends what with the sexier design and how it roughly looks like the new iPhone. Wonder how many people walk down the street with their new iPod Touch pretending to be talking into it...

Haha, that would be pretty sad. As for the difference between the two, there's more unfortunately - no GPS in the Touch and while both record HD, the iPhone has a 5Mpx camera, while the Touch has a puny 0.7Mpx one.

Man I'd love an iTouch/iPhone right now. Some **** broke into my car and stole my ipod a week ago.

You could get Whatsapp for text messaging. Me and Digi use it together all the time.

Also, forgot about where you lived, nevermind my price talk lol

I was thinking about getting a mp3-player for my girlfriend. In the end I bought her the Samsung Galaxy S and Spotify premium, works like a charm.

Man I'd love an iTouch/iPhone right now. Some **** broke into my car and stole my ipod a week ago.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2092592_find-lost-ipod.html

I think there are ways of retrieving it dude. seriously ask for help and you shall receive

its a shame you live on the West Coast. if you lived locally I'd so go with you to the douch bags house and beat him senseless. i hate when ****ers steal shit

those things sound like something you'd do while in possession of said ipod. it's an old 5g, the first with video. a paperweight if it wasn't playing music. that thing is long gone if i were to hazard a bet.

joke's on them i guess. battery life was so shit on it that i had to run it plugged in all the time.

but still, i miss my ipoop.

Man.. with my new droid, it seems like this thing could replace my itouch altogether. Don't need to deal with ****ing itunes.. god I didn't realize till now JUST HOW MUCH I hate itunes.

I have yet to experience the joy of using itunes, so I don't know what can be so bad about it. Are there no alternatives, considering I plan to jailbreak my iTouch?

There are plenty. Floola and Media Monkey are the only ones I've tried, though I've always just stuck to Itunes cause all I need it for is to sync my music and nothing else which is simple enough.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2092592_find-lost-ipod.html

I think there are ways of retrieving it dude. seriously ask for help and you shall receive

its a shame you live on the West Coast. if you lived locally I'd so go with you to the douch bags house and beat him senseless. i hate when ****ers steal shit

I stole an Ipod from my friend once.
I brought it back to my house, charged it, realized that It had Blink 182 on it.
Then I gave it back to my friend and never touched it again.

Back