The Last of Us- New PS3 Exclusive from Naughty Dog

SnakeTheLegend

Vortigaunt
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about this game since they released the viral video for it. It now has a teaser trailer and some art. I really hope this doesn't turn out to be an attempt to do some I am Legend game or another cash in zombie virus game. But from rumors going around, the disease in the game is similar to a parasite that controls an ant's brain. Sounds pretty interesting, but I won't be keeping my hopes up until I see more. Naughty Dog has a damn good track record, I really hope they can keep it up with this. Also the girl character model looks just like Ellen Page, probably due to her recent popularity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csubsCk86sw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWzcYbtZQrk

9_1782.jpg

Well, it's Naughty Dog so I'm interested. I don't really care for Zombie-type games in the L4D and Dead Island mold.

A more serious approach I'd like where survival is really the main focus. Like a 28 Days Later inspired game.

Interested in seeing some gameplay, anyway.

If only it was an open world game where I could explore all of those skyscrapers.

Looks interesting though, and it's from Naughty Dog so chances are it's going to be a good game!

It looks like a nice game, but lol @ monster's face.

Get rid of the Asian child and I'll buy it.

Hey, look yet another postapocalyptic zombie game. SHOCKING

And Ellen Page is meh. Average acting ability, plus jail bait looks, but I forgot teh internet people like that.

Not a single postapocalyptic zombie survival game has been done right, so it's always worth attempting (if that's what's going on with this one).

L4D was very cool initially, before people 'figured it out' and realized there was in fact a best way to do everything. Then from that point on everything felt so scripted because it was always, 'okay you 3 people guard the bathroom, I'll trigger the event and fall back to you. Then we camp the bathroom door until the horde has passed. AWESOME."

With games like these the whole point is exploring the unknown, so if things have to follow a set path then they become uninteresting after a few runs.

xcellerate, you obviously never played versus in L4D. it's the real game.

Agreed with Barnz. Versus in L4D is fun. Everything else about it is boring as hell, though.

xcellerate, you obviously never played versus in L4D. it's the real game.

Was about to say the same thing. Versus is the real deal, coop is for teh noobs yo.

I guess this means Uncharted 4 is out of the picture, at least for a few years. I suppose Naughty Dog could work on two projects at once, but I had the impression they were a rather small studio. Oh well...this new game could turn out good.

Why is L4D even in this conversation. It's not survival rpg. It's arcade scripted wave killing.

I guess this means Uncharted 4 is out of the picture, at least for a few years. I suppose Naughty Dog could work on two projects at once, but I had the impression they were a rather small studio. Oh well...this new game could turn out good.
I'd rather they leave Uncharted alone a while. At least so they'll find something interesting for the next story instead of moving right along. If they make another, that is.

Why do all zombies games since l4d have to have banjo music?

I'd rather they leave Uncharted alone a while. At least so they'll find something interesting for the next story instead of moving right along. If they make another, that is.

I thought Naughty Dog all but confirmed Uncharted 4, but of course they never said when. I just hope this game lives up to their high standards.

Juno 2: Apocalypse

A tale of warning to those who oppose abortions.

I don't mind Ellen Page, and I think Naughty Dog could do this genre well. Count me intrigued. The dude's model is weird though. Like they couldn't decide what face to use so they mashed several into one weird looking face.

Grown man and youngish girl in a survival setting..
reminds me of that Stephen King book Cell.

Hopefully it's not Dead Island all over again.. I was expecting serious survival horror with that and it turned into cheap jokes and black rappers.

"Who do you voodoo b*tch?" I'll admit that was pretty good.

"Chop off mah fingas and throw em lyke confetti, WHO DU U VOODOO BITCH? WEARIN CLOWN MAKE UP AT DA JAGGALO CONCERT, WHO DU U VOODOO BITCH?!"

Man, so cool, so glad they put that stuff in the game, really loved hearing that hilarious song.

So much negativity these days! "I hope it lives up to the hype." "So original." "L4D derp derp." Let's just have a good old fashioned thread like we used to 8 years ago. I'll start!

Ahem...

WOWWWWW THIS LOOKS AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. NAUGHTDOG IS SOOOOO GOOD I CANT WAIT FOR THIS GAMEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully it isn't another game with really good trailers and lackluster gameplay.

This looks terrific! I am thinking this will be a wonderful experience just because ND have learned so much about storytelling and getting the most out of the hardware so there's no reason to think it will NOT be great!

Ever played Uncharted? Linear, linear, linear and some awesome scripted events.
Sounds like Half-Life. Not sure if this post is supposed to be praise or criticism. I find it pretty funny how linearity is seen as a negative thing by so many people on a Half-Life fan site.

Linearity is definitely not a bad thing. Unless the game is linear and boring as ****.

Sounds like Half-Life. Not sure if this post is supposed to be praise or criticism. I find it pretty funny how linearity is seen as a negative thing by so many people on a Half-Life fan site.

Probably has something to do with how most extremely linear games are shit, and thus people don't have faith in most developers to know how to do a non shitty linear game. A shitty game thats open world still has potential to entertain since you can make your own entertainment in them, so people probably are just naturally inclined to desire the safe option.

Oh dear, another Dead Island, Left 4 Dead, I Am Legend clone.

*sees Naughty Dog logo*

Okay, I'll stay a while.

Yup, HL1 totally pushed me in the right direction if I missed a superjump between platforms on Xen.

Give me a break. If you think HL1's linearity is akin to Uncharted's I don't know what to say.

Yup, HL1 totally pushed me in the right direction if I missed a superjump between platforms on Xen.

Give me a break. If you think HL1's linearity is akin to Uncharted's I don't know what to say.
Whether or not the game "pushes you in the right direction" to help during gameplay has absolutely nothing to do with linearity.

Portal 2 does this too BTW. You're magically "funnelled" into portals if your aim is slightly off, the game helps you place portals by snapping them onto the right position if you're slightly off and there are two places in the game where if you try to place the wrong portal (that would cause you to die) the game will ignore that you clicked the wrong button and place the correct one instead.

No, it has everything to do with LAZY GAME DESIGN. It's quite frankly pathetic how afraid game developers are to give even the slightest freedom to players. "Oh no the player might do something unexpected! Quick! Constrain them to an arbirary path peppered with quicktime events!". That's how most "linear story driven" games are nowadays.

We're comparing it to HL1, not Portal 2.

And it has everything to do with linearity. If I don't do the jump in the precise speed, acceleration, and angle that the devs want you to, it corrects me. I can't deviate at all from the precise camera angle that the devs planned for that particular part of that particular scene in the movie. Every single player experiences the jump the same way. It's not just that I'm going from point A to point B like everyone else, I'm going from point A to point B in the same manner as everyone else.

Not to mention: My immersion? Oh yeah it went out the window. In a picture-perfect action movie jump.

Yeah, but you can't give them too much freedom or you end up with a shitshow like Skyrim. :-\

(Yes, I am kidding. I love me some Skyrim and am accepting of the bugs that are inevitable with a game with that much random content.)

I don't understand people's beef with linearity. Games that have a specific story to tell will always be more linear. Games that want to make it seem like you are telling your own story will always have more branch points. Horses for courses guys.

Portal 2 does this too BTW. You're magically "funnelled" into portals if your aim is slightly off, the game helps you place portals by snapping them onto the right position if you're slightly off and there are two places in the game where if you try to place the wrong portal (that would cause you to die) the game will ignore that you clicked the wrong button and place the correct one instead.

You bring this up way too often - no, you're not the only one who listened to the developer commentary

Back