The New Art Contest #1: Voting Thread

Pick your favourite entry.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It was a tough decision between dodo and vegeta's for me. If it were a popularity contest, I'd probably have picked dodo. I don't know him, but vegeta drives me up the ****ing wall sometimes and so that'd rule him out.

I really liked dodo's entry, but ultimately I picked vegeta's based on the sheer amount of time he spent and the quality rendered from that. I have an appreciation for the difficulty in creating something entirely in MS paint. Both require great skill to master, and have equally great merits, but on this day I had to go with the pixel art.

Great job as my second choice Dodo, and to the rest of you all, great entries!

I vote... I vote... Jintor! I just love the stylish feel of his picture.

i'll have to vote for vegetas... although i was expecting some shadow for 60+ hours : D

dodo

you know, i feel its like a bit of a popularity contest here..maybe not. im not sure..

I voted Dodo's, with Vegetas in mind as a close second. I based my vote around the criteria - a piece that truely captures the atmosphere of Half Life 2, and out of all of them, it'd have to be Dodo's that really does it for me. I can respect how much time others will have taken to do theres, or how well done it is, but I obviously can't like something for it's technical structure or how long it took, and whilst alot of them are good, I didn't find as many really give me the effect of HL2 as much as the entry from Dodo.

Dodo's has some perspective issues and a few other things, but I feel it reads better as an image on the whole than vegetas, which is pretty much a straight copy of a scene in the game

I respect vegetas with the time and dedication he used on it, however dodo's won it for me, it's not flawless but it has the best composition out of all the entries by far :rolling:

i'll have to vote for vegetas... although i was expecting some shadow for 60+ hours : D

dodo
Haha, that would have taken like, another 60 hours to do shadows alone. Selecting each pixel and turning down the brightness, good lord.

Thanks to those who voted for me. (<3 Raz) Yay second place! (so far)

And I totally understand how Dodo's is more "art" with how much feeling it has, and mine is more of a technical achievement. I'm glad you guys can appreciate that! That's really all I need to know. Thank you :)

Jintor, you should really apply for a job at valve, doing concept drawing and what not.

I had to vote Vegeta, with Dodo in close second, but all of the entries were great.

I consider this contest a huge success :D

I voted for Dodo with Vegeta's in a close second. I can appreciate pixel art and would have voted for Veg if he had finished it. By no means is it crappy, it's actually quite stunning. Dodo's just touched me more in terms of looks, style and atmosphere.

I voted dodo because while the effort and technical accomplishments of Vegeta's piece are phenomenal, I feel it lacks an artistic aspect since its an isometric view of an existing game environment. But damn, I dont think I could spend 60 hours in two weeks on a project like that. I gotta give you props for that.

EDIT: Oh and dodo, check your pms please :)

I voted Dodo, because it is. Seriously. Awesome.

Pride prevents me from voting for my own artwork, and I probably wouldn't have anyway.

Agreed with all the other comments about Veg's stuffs. Mmm, tasty iso art...

I voted for Dodo's piece. Love it.

Vegeta gets second from me :)

God competition though, all the entries were good!

I voted Dodo. I would have voted Veggie if it had a larger area / some more stuff (Like little iso-metrocops).

hmm..its either my pciture sux or i suck. i posted it on facepunch and some other art forum and they both say its full of flaws and sux..where did I go wrong I wonder. cant beleive no one voted for xirow either..

anyway, it is pretty clear who is going to win, we all kind of expected it from the start. When does this poll close btw..?

Yeh i wasnt really fond of mine coz i thought i could do a better 1 . But all my friends told me i should enter that 1 , so i did.

hmm..its either my pciture sux or i suck. i posted it on facepunch and some other art forum and they both say its full of flaws and sux..where did I go wrong I wonder. cant beleive no one voted for xirow either..

anyway, it is pretty clear who is going to win, we all kind of expected it from the start. When does this poll close btw..?

Don't beat yourself up over it. I mean seriously, just use it as an excuse to improve.

One reason why I don't like contests when I'm not a participant. I hate seeing people beat themselves up if they either don't get a vote or don't win. I like all of the entries, just because you don't receive a vote doesn't mean people don't appreciate your work.

Everyone's submission was very well done, but by vote went to dodo's incredible artwork. Though Vegeta's was my second choice, and I can appreciate the hardwork and amount of time put into it, it just felt empty.

Kudos to all participants.

I voted Dodo's, with Vegetas in mind as a close second.
I respect vegetas with the time and dedication he used on it, however dodo's won it for me
I voted for Dodo with Vegeta's in a close second.
I voted dodo because while the effort and technical accomplishments of Vegeta's piece are phenomenal,
Agreed with all the other comments about Veg's stuffs.
Vegeta gets second from me
I voted Dodo. I would have voted Veggie
Though Vegeta's was my second choice,
If I had a nickel...

If I had a nickel...

I voted for you Vegeta! Fancy flying machines be damned! We both know what's important! Ridiculously detailed awesome crazy pixel art! *has been talking to people regarding a book of Isotown*

I reserve the right to end the voting prematurely if it looks like it's ground to a halt.

God, I love organising contests - you get to reserve so many rights.

My vote's going to Zombine. While I think both Dodo's and Vegeta's work are especially deserving of a vote, Zombine's digital painting is actually really cool I reckons. Definitely deserving of at least one vote! C'mon!

My vote's going to Zombine. While I think both Dodo's and Vegeta's work are especially deserving of a vote, Zombine's digital painting is actually really cool I reckons. Definitely deserving of at least one vote! C'mon!

You know... I don't know why I overlooked Zombine's work at first. I mean I saw it, but I didn't take good look. I'd like to point out that I think Zombine's work is quite on par with Dodo's... the only difference being to me, is that Dodo's is larger with a lot more detail thrown in.

Dodo got my vote.

If not for that one, Vegeta may have gotten it, just for how painstakingly awful the pixel shot must have been to make.

In that case, I vote Xirow, so everyone has a vote :D

I quite liked Useabuse's, thought it portrayed the chaos quite nicely.

Couldn't get over Dodo's though, so the vote had to go to him :(

use abuse should have used a blue colour scheme and added a citadel or something..

i still liked my ORIGINAL picture better though. this one:

1341891169_0f01a9b36e_b.jpg

That, and yours in general, just feels like theres too much going on just for the sake of having the models to do so. I can respect your talent with the software you used (I saw the pics showing the lighting sphere... thingy), but it just feels too overcrowded, with all these things happening front, left and center when, in my opinion, I think it'd look a lot better on a smaller scale with less people/things. The Antlion in the middle just looks out of place, and the dropship looks way too small considering the area of it's fly-by is dwarfed by the trees just a few inches to the right.

Back