The No News VGA Announcement: "We are not announcing anything."

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
vga2011.jpg
[br]
Well the rumour mill has been grinding away heavily today with VGA 2011 looming this evening. The rumours were surrounding the possible announcement of Half-life 3 or Episode 3 but guess what? As usual it's just the masses praying so hard they can see Gordon Freeman in the froth of their cappuccino.[br]Our friends at Lambda Generation received an email from Valve confirming there will be no announcements as well as some individuals from the Steampowered user forums receiving collaborating evidence.[br]Back to business people, the missing persons report for Gordon Freeman remains open after 4 long years.

Apparently Skyrim was announced there last year, I saw someone say. Not sure if that is true?

Bioware's new game (rumored to be Command and Conquer) is supposed to be announced on the VGAs tonight I think.

And Sony apparently have some big PS3 exclusive reveal.

Big woop.

The longer I go without hearing about another Half Life the more I lose interest.

Valve news is always that there is no news. How many times must this happen before it stops being the "big announcement." I don't have anything against Valve, but this is kind of a lame thing to do to your fans isn't it?

The longer I go without hearing about another Half Life the more I lost interest.

I think that's the plan... after a while so few people will care that they can say they're never going to make a new Half Life game and they won't have to delete as many angry e-mails.

Honestly, I really am starting to care less about Half Life. I was really into it about the time the Orange Box came out four years ago, but the interest has slowly faded and is barely there anymore. I rarely visit this board, not really much reason to. I've pretty much given up on HL.

The only big announcement Valve would make is more TF2 hats. And honestly, after Kelley Bailey leaving Valve... I have practically given up on HL.

What about the new trailer for BioShock Infinite? Irrational Games obsession for weird dystopian cities is getting old but mood, atmosphere and art direction are very intriguing.

BS: Infinite is already my GOTY 2012. Holy ****ing shit I'm hyped.

Also, Skyrim really did win GOTY? Well... it's TV.

The only big announcement Valve would make is more TF2 hats. And honestly, after Kelley Bailey leaving Valve... I have practically given up on HL.
What? You gave up on Half-Life due to the composer leaving?

I can understand why alot of people have given up hope on HL3 after waiting 4 years, but Valve did say several times that they're not done with Gordon Freeman and his wonderous rainbowy adventures, and I don't think they'd lie. Maybe it's easier for me 'cause I only got into the series earlier this year, I haven't had to wait as long.

Indeed, it's more of a case of when the next HL game will be (rather than if). Some of the quotes I fished around for, for a short podcast I did on 'The decay of half-life'

Lombardi Quote: We're not done with Gordon Freeman, hang in there (March 2011 - Ausgamers)

Gabe quote: “Half-Life going episodic a failure?” “Not yet” (November 2011 - Cambridge Student Online)

Gabe quote: “That isn't something we think about except as part of each project needing to respect the fact that simply repeating the past isn't going to have the same impact now as it did then.”

“I feel like we've gotten away from genuinely scaring the player more than I'd like, and it's something we need to think about, in addition to broadening the emotional palette we can draw on.” (March 2010 - EDGE)

It has progressed past the point of "omg valve is so secretive it must be an awesome game" to what in my opinion is just a disgrace to the fans. I can understand after Episode 2 when they released the trailer of Alyx hanging off the bridge which never made it into the final game that they might be a little hesitant to release media. But I mean holy crap, after 4 years we haven't even had so much as an official confirmation that Episode 3/Half Life 3 whatever it is is even in development. Granted we can all assume they have at least started talking about the game since Episode 2 but to go this long without Valve coming out and saying "Hey were are working on Episode 3, it is looking great!" is unacceptable in my opinion. I don't want to say I am losing interest because I know once it is released I'll gobble it up and play it but I really feel Valve has screwed the pooch in the way they are handling this.

I don't want to say I am losing interest because I know once it is released I'll gobble it up and play it but I really feel Valve has screwed the pooch in the way they are handling this.

Indeed. No one believes that HL is an abandoned project, but after all this time a serious company should give the fans a situation update.

They've done it before with the 6 year gap between HL1 and HL2. Even though the 4 year silence is agonizing, it's still nothing new for Half-Life fans.

There were expansion packs between Half-Life and Half-Life 2. We don't have anything.

What? You gave up on Half-Life due to the composer leaving?

Not exactly, but after 4 years and nothing, its a serious blow to the franchise. Kelley Bailey had an enormous impact on Half-Life, with the mood fitting music, being Gordon's face, etc.

I believe he meant that the composer leaving was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Pretty much.

Surprised? Not at all. I have a feeling we won't hear about anything up until a short time before the game is released. It makes sense to me, considering the anticipation of HL2 led to a security breach.

Actually, Gordon's face is not referenced from a single person. If I'm not mistaken they combined attributes of at least half a dozen people to come up with his face.

Actually, they used four people to model the face for Gordon Freeman:

David Speyrer (software developer)
Eric Kirchmer (artist)
Greg Coomer (designer)
Kelly Bailey (well of course you know who he is, right?)

The four of these gentlemen were morphed together and edited to form the face of one of the greatest video game heroes of all time.

Goatee supplied by Bailey.

Anyways, yeah, no surprise here. We've been waiting for Episode Three since 2007, so as each year passes, my excitement for news wanes. It's become indicative of Valve: announce they are releasing a new game, sprinkle a few pieces of concept art around the web, and speak nothing of the upcoming project until the interest of their fans drops to a depressingly low level. Then they bring their attitudes right back up with maybe a trailer or a few screenshots here and there. No one out there should be questioning the existence of Episode Three. It's obviously being worked on by some of the best designers and developers out there. When Valve feels the need to give some news about it, they will. Perhaps they are waiting for just the right moment: the moment where all of our heads are pointed low, our hope is all but gone, and our patience is inconceivable. The moment is near, my friends. I can already see some of you giving up on Valve and demonizing them for their lack of news, but that's precisely the moment when Valve will strike with a tidbit of information and turn all of our frowns into grins. Besides, when has Valve ever given up on its fans? Isn't it funny how they've always followed through on what they've said? Granted, they've almost always had to move up release dates, but they get the job done. You see companies out there who try to pull the shades over the eyes of their customers by releasing piss-poor ports and games with restricted keyboard access (yes, I'm looking at you, Skyrim, and your blatant disregard for your left-handed customers), but when has Valve ever attempted to do that? Their products have a consistent quality that attracts gamers from all around the world. Valve, if you ever have the time to read this unedited wall of text, know that you may take my money so long as you retain whatever magical powers you have been imbued with that allows you to make such fantastic games.

Actually, they used four people to model the face for Gordon Freeman:

David Speyrer (software developer)
Eric Kirchmer (artist)
Greg Coomer (designer)
Kelly Bailey (well of course you know who he is, right?)

The four of these gentlemen were morphed together and edited to form the face of one of the greatest video game heroes of all time.

Whoops, you're right. I recalled seeing more than 6 images in Raising the Bar when they discussed this, however they only used four people.

I kinda feel as though Valve has developed a new technology and are implementing it in the next HL. I don't have the faintest idea of what it would be.

Also

Lombardi Quote: We're not done with Gordon Freeman, hang in there (March 2011 - Ausgamers)
INTRODUCING GORDON FREEMAN PLAYABLE IN RENEGADE OPS

and then he was NEVER SEEN AGAAAAIIIIIIIIIN

They had released info on the game and part of the long wait was from that idiot leaking the source code. This is much different because they almost dont even acknowledge a HL3 or EP3 existance. I have also given up caring about any realease of info. When it comes out 10 years from now i'll still get it just to finish the storyline.

They've done it before with the 6 year gap between HL1 and HL2. Even though the 4 year silence is agonizing, it's still nothing new for Half-Life fans.

I knew it!. As soon I saw this I thought "people are gonna see a million ARGs in this"

And of course Wheatley finishes by saying “One, one, one”, which simplistically adds up to 3

This is what it's come to...

Back