The Oscars: Place your bets

Sparta

Reaction score
Ok, it's 3 days to the Oscars, place your bets people and gives reasons as well, none of that pussy one-liner shit.

Best Film and Director: The Hurt Locker - Kathryn Bigelow
This film has won more awards than Avatar and the Oscars love giving awards that make statements or demonstrate that they are moving forward with society. Not only is The Hurt Locker one of the highest rated and most celebrated films of 2009, it also gives the Oscars an opportunity to finally give an award to a female director after passing up so many brilliant films directed by the likes Jane Campion, Sofia Coppola and Penny Marshall to name a few.

Best Actor: Jeff Bridges
He's the Dude. Everyone loves the Dude. He's been passed up 3 times for an Oscar and the Academy loves to reward those that have tried and failed and try and try again. It could also go to Colin Firth, but i'll wager Jeff Bridges take this.

Best Actress: Sandra Bullock
I haven't seen The Blind Side, haven't heard good things, but Sandra Bullock seems to be winning the awards for it left right and center. I'd love to see Gabourey Sidibe win for Precious but it doesn't look like that will happen now.

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz
No doubt.

Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique
Again, no doubt.

Best Special FX: Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus
For a third time, no doubt.

Best Original Screenplay: Inglourious Basterds
Could go the The Hurt Locker, but given the subtly of Inglourious Basterds' subtext i'd wager it'll get it. Also, the dialogue is plain better in Inglourious Basterds, even if there is too much of it.

Best Adapted Screenplay: In The Loop
This category I'd usually skip, but I just love In The Loop so much I had to wager a bet on it, even if its chances are slim. It's just such a hilarious, cunning, dirty, conniving, smart script that is outright the funniest thing to come along in years. It deserves it for the line "****ity Bye" alone. It probably won't win because of stiff competition from Precious, An Education and Up In The Air, which are far more mainstream than In The Loop, but **** it all does it deserve to win far more than those films because its so hilariously different and genius it really should be in a league of its own.

Well gentlemen? What are you predictions?

The categories really are: Best Pretentious Feel Good Movie, Best PR, Best CGI, etc.

Well, except maybe for the Actor categories, but still...

Kermode suggests Avatar for Best Pic as it has made bank and the Academy wants to recognise this in a time when ticket sales are dropping globally

Best Special FX: Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus
For a third time, no doubt.

:LOL: Avatar doesn't stand a chance!

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
Best Actor: Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
Best Actress: Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
Best Supporting Actress: Mo’Nique, Precious
Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, Inglorious Basterds
Best Original Screenplay: Inglorious Basterds
Best Adapted Screenplay: Up in the Air

I'm not anticipating any curve balls from the critics this year. And I really hope Hurt Locker snags best picture considering the backlash and controversy it's been receiving the past couple weeks.

Best PICTURE will go to Avatar.

And how did Jeff Bridges not win an oscar for his role as the dude? Astounding.

I hope Kathryn Bigelow wins best director. First female to do so.

The academy is full of idiots. Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan??? Everything since except Return of the King doing a **** all has been crap. I hate award shows.

That said I hope Hurt Locker wins much and Avatar gets shit on. I don't need Cameron to get any more self-important, nor do I need any more hype for 3D ANYTHING.

I don't get all the praise Hurt Locker got. It was a good movie, for sure, but not a movie that really stood out to me.

Best PICTURE will go to Avatar.

And how did Jeff Bridges not win an oscar for his role as the dude? Astounding.

Hey guess what, you are wrong and I am happy to be wrong too. Hurt Locker won.

BEST PICTURE
Winner: The Hurt Locker

The Blind Side

District 9

An Education

Inglourious Basterds

Precious

A Serious Man

Up

Up in the Air

BEST DIRECTOR
Winner: Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker)

James Cameron (Avatar)

Quentin Tarantino (Inglourious Basterds)

Lee Daniels (Precious)

Jason Reitman (Up in the Air)

BEST ACTOR
Winner: Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart)

George Clooney (Up in the Air)

Colin Firth (A Single Man)

Morgan Freeman (Invictus)

Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker)

ACTRESS
Winner: Sandra Bullock (The Blind Side)

Helen Mirren (The Last Station)

Carey Mulligan (An Education)

Gabourey Sidibe (Precious)

Meryl Streep (Julie and Julia)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Winner: Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds)

Matt Damon (Invictus)

Woody Harrelson (The Messenger)

Christopher Plummer (The Last Station)

Stanley Tucci (The Lovely Bones)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Winner: Mo'Nique (Precious)

Penelope Cruz (Nine)

Vera Farmiga (Up in the Air)

Maggie Gyllenhaal (Crazy Heart)

Anna Kendrick (Up in the Air)

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
The winner: El Secreto de Sus Ojos - The Secret of Their Eyes (Argentina)

Ajami (Israel)

The Milk of Sorrow (Peru)

Un Prophete - A Prophet (France)

The White Ribbon (Germany)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Winner: Mark Boal (The Hurt Locker)

Quentin Tarantino (Inglourious Basterds)

Alessandro Camon, Oren Moverman (The Messenger)

Joel Coen, Ethan Coen (A Serious Man)

Bob Peterson, Pete Docter, Tom McCarthy (Up)

BEST ANIMATION
Winner: Up

Coraline

Fantastic Mr Fox

The Princess and the Frog

The Secret of Kells

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Winner: Geoffrey Fletcher (Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire)

Neill Blomkamp, Terri Tatchell (District 9)

Nick Hornby (An Education)

Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci, Tony Roche (In the Loop)

Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner (Up in the Air)

BEST ART DIRECTION
Winner: Avatar

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Nine

Sherlock Holmes

The Young Victoria

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

The Hurt Locker

Inglourious Basterds

The White Ribbon

BEST SOUND MIXING
The winner: The Hurt Locker

Inglourious Basterds

Star Trek

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

BEST SOUND EDITING

Inglourious Basterds

Star Trek

Up

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
Winner: The Weary Kind (theme from Crazy Heart) from Crazy Heart by Ryan Bingham, T Bone Burnett

Almost There from The Princess and the Frog by Randy Newman

Down in New Orleans from The Princess and the Frog by Randy Newman

Loin de Paname from Paris 36 by Reinhardt Wagner, Frank Thomas

Take It All from Nine by Maury Yeston

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Winner: Up (Michael Giacchino)

Fantastic Mr Fox (Alexandre Desplat)

The Hurt Locker (Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders)

Sherlock Holmes (Hans Zimmer)

BEST COSTUMES
Winner: The Young Victoria

Bright Star

Coco Before Chanel

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Nine

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
The winner: The Cove

Burma VJ

Food, Inc.

The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers

Which Way Home

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT
Winner: Music by Prudence

China's Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province

The Last Campaign of Governor Booth Gardner

The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant

Rabbit a la Berlin

BEST FILM EDITING

District 9

Inglourious Basterds

Precious

BEST MAKE-UP
Winner: Star Trek

Il Divo

The Young Victoria

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM
Winner: Logorama

French Roast

Granny O'Grimm's Sleeping Beauty

The Lady and the Reaper (La Dama y la Muerte)

A Matter of Loaf and Death

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
Winner: The New Tenants

The Door

Instead of Abracadabra

Kavi

Miracle Fish

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

District 9

Star Trek

Well it's still the best picture in my mind.

Hurt locker will be gone and forgotten in 1 year. Avatar will live on with sequels and cultural influences.

Star Wars all over again. Have you heard of Annie Hall? No of course not.

Best animation was Up instead of Kells, what a huge goddamn surprise.

i'm going to have to watch hurt locker again. said this before in other threads, but whilst i enjoyed it... i'm having trouble thinking of anything that was so outstandingly remarkable about it.

watching the trailer for it made and still makes me cringe, and that nearly put me off the film right away had i not gone out on a whim and watched it.

Hurt locker will be gone and forgotten in 1 year. Avatar will live on with sequels and cultural influences.

You're joking right? Both of Star Wars and Annie Hall are regarded as classics, however, Annie Hall hasn't been ruined by a terrible prequel trilogy.

You'd be better off comparing them to Rocky and Network. Although Rocky won against Network...

****ing Rocky.

Why anyone but the actors themselves cares about the Oscars is kind of beyond me.

Other than their own agenda so they can use the award when arguing which film is better in a debate of course. ''Well X film won an oscar, so its clearly better than Y''.

But then society is obsessed with celebs. The amount of ***king HEAT magazines and alike that plague the queues in stores in the UK just takes the piss. You get funneled inbetween these stands of..generically-***t magazines that people, for some reason, buy so many of.

''BREAKING NEWS - Cheryl Cole is divorcing her husband Ashley Cole. SUB-HEADING - Who actually gives a ***t about someone you will never meet, who doesnt know you and doesnt really care no matter what she says as its all publicity, and you are only interested in her because you fap to her now and again''.

Come on everyone, buy them only to burn them if you must.

yeah network is awesome :)

Why?

I only saw it this week with no hype at all and enjoyed it for the spectacle even if the story was lame and there were a few too many plotholes.

Okay let me clarify then. I don't hate avatar specifically more the hype and following it has attained. The film by itself on it's on merits however is purely decent AT BEST. It is generic and uninteresting and never does anything unique and although people like to moan about ferngullt/dances with wolves/last samurai etc. it is is really mroe a bad copy of aliens IMO. When you rip off yourself and do it inferior something has gone wrong.

Anyway it didn't win, the academy can still see left from right (for the most part, moon wasn't even nominated :flame:) all is right with the world :)

Why anyone but the actors themselves cares about the Oscars is kind of beyond me.

Other than their own agenda so they can use the award when arguing which film is better in a debate of course. ''Well X film won an oscar, so its clearly better than Y''.

But then society is obsessed with celebs. The amount of ***king HEAT magazines and alike that plague the queues in stores in the UK just takes the piss. You get funneled inbetween these stands of..generically-***t magazines that people, for some reason, buy so many of.

''BREAKING NEWS - Cheryl Cole is divorcing her husband Ashley Cole. SUB-HEADING - Who actually gives a ***t about someone you will never meet, who doesnt know you and doesnt really care no matter what she says as its all publicity, and you are only interested in her because you fap to her now and again''.

Come on everyone, buy them only to burn them if you must.

I don't get it either. wow someone got rewarded for doing a job well done. yay! but on the other hand I only read the results to see which movies i'll want to rent. 70% of the time those movies are worthwhile

most people over 20 have heard of Annie Hall and if you havent you're probably culturally stunted

anyways Avatar winning best picture would have been a travesty; sure it's an enjoyable, albeit by the numbers cliche ridden movie however the special effects do not make a film "best picture" ..generally it's a mix of good acting, cinematography, screenplay, direction etc ...besides special effects Avatar sorely lacked in this. the fact that they won only technical awards is testament to this

Well it's still the best picture in my mind.

stop spouting idiocy and go leer at some Chinese girls or whatever creepy thing you do.

82st Annual Academy Awards - The Hurt Locker
81st Annual Academy Awards - Slumdog Millionaire
80th Annual Academy Awards - No Country for Old Men
79th Annual Academy Awards - The Departed
78th Annual Academy Awards - Crash
77th Annual Academy Awards - Million Dollar Baby
76th Annual Academy Awards - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
75th Annual Academy Awards - Chicago
74th Annual Academy Awards - A Beautiful Mind
73rd Annual Academy Awards - Gladiator
72nd Annual Academy Awards - American Beauty
71st Annual Academy Awards - Shakespeare in Love
70th Annual Academy Awards - Titanic
69th Annual Academy Awards - The English Patient
68th Annual Academy Awards - Braveheart
67th Annual Academy Awards - Forrest Gump
66th Annual Academy Awards - Schindler's List
65th Annual Academy Awards - Unforgiven
64th Annual Academy Awards - The Silence of the Lambs
63rd Annual Academy Awards - Dances With Wolves
62nd Annual Academy Awards - Driving Miss Daisy
61st Annual Academy Awards - Rain Man
60th Annual Academy Awards - The Last Emperor
59th Annual Academy Awards - Platoon
58th Annual Academy Awards - Out of Africa
57th Annual Academy Awards - Amadeus
56th Annual Academy Awards - Terms of Endearment
55th Annual Academy Awards - Gandhi
54th Annual Academy Awards - Chariots of Fire
53rd Annual Academy Awards - Ordinary People
52nd Annual Academy Awards - Kramer vs. Kramer
etc

long gone and forgotten classics of cinema never to be seen again by anyone, goddam film crickets

Oh, I thought nobody here gave credit to the Academy Awards, seeing as how it's an engineered pony show so industry insiders can jerk each other off. It has no real merit. Now everybody's like "Oh, Hurt Locker won. They did alright".

Unlike the rest of you hypocritical pansies, I'm gonna show some backbone and call this one out. Avatar was purposefully overlooked for Best Director and Best Picture because:

1) Nobody wanted James Cameron getting any more full of himself than he already is
2) Everybody loves underdogs. They want David to beat Goliath. Pitting The Hurt Locker up against a multi-billion dollar beast like Avatar set up the scenario to be played out.
3) There was the novelty of the first female to receive a Best Director award.

Clearly this event was a sham just like the past decade of award ceremonies.

**** the Oscars, why do people even care about that shit?

Avatar was never going to win. Anyone thinking it would should be locked up and kept away from samurai swords.

I'd still rather watch Avatar again than The Hurt Locker.

Back