'The Passing' DLC out Thursday

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
Valve has confirmed that "The Passing" will be released this Thursday on both Steam and Xbox 360 Live.[br]

The Passing will include a new weapon, new game mode and a new zombie called "the infected survivor", as well as the addition of three of the four characters from Left 4 Dead 1[br]

The new DLC will also introduce a series of weekly game mode events - "Mutations." These week-long runs of new gameplay modes range from "Realism Versus" mode to "Chainsaw Massacre," which gives all players chainsaws with an unlimited supply of gasoline. There are over 20 Mutations planned, each playable on all L4D2 Campaigns. Mutations are exclusively available to owners of "The Passing" DLC. [br]You can whet your apetite with some of the new achievements which will come with The Passing on the Left 4 Dead 2 Blog[br]

The Passing will be available this Thursday, April 22nd for 560 Microsoft Points on Xbox 360 and free on the PC.

Mutations sounds like a cool idea. Can't wait to play!

From the high resolution poster on the blog we can see that the missing survivor is... ZOEY! Damn...

But well, I still expect this to be random...

"infected survivor". . ? sounds suspiciciously similar to alice from 28 weeks later?

or is it talking about the survivor from L4d 1 coming back as an infected?

"infected survivor". . ? sounds suspiciciously similar to alice from 28 weeks later?

or is it talking about the survivor from L4d 1 coming back as an infected?

Some people don't live on the same planet as we do... but... the 'infected survivor' is a common infected that's all geared up like a survivor... Packing weapons, ammo, medkits, pills, etc... But the proper name is 'fallen survivor', not 'infected survivor'.

From the high resolution poster on the blog we can see that the missing survivor is... ZOEY! Damn...

But well, I still expect this to be random...

Francis is missing. It's Francis, Louis, Zoey, and Bill. Louis is next to Zoey in every campaign poster.

Edit: Wait a second, Louis is missing. Francis is now standing next to Zoey.

Edit: They changed it, again. They keep changing the poster. What's going on?

Francis, Zoey, and Bill
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk202/TehBarnz/ThePassing.jpg

Francis, Louis, and Bill
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk202/TehBarnz/ThePassing2.jpg

Louis, Zoey, and Bill
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk202/TehBarnz/ThePassing3.jpg

Obviously they want us to keep guessing.

Francis is missing. It's Francis, Louis, Zoey, and Bill. Louis is next to Zoey in every campaign poster.

Edit: Wait a second, Louis is missing. Francis is now standing next to Zoey.

Edit: They changed it, again. They keep changing the poster. What's going on?

Francis, Zoey, and Bill
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk202/TehBarnz/ThePassing.jpg

Francis, Louis, and Bill
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk202/TehBarnz/ThePassing2.jpg

Louis, Zoey, and Bill
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk202/TehBarnz/ThePassing3.jpg

Weird... here it only shows the one for Zoey missing... Perhaps it's random!

The new DLC will also introduce a series of weekly game mode events - "Mutations." These week-long runs of new gameplay modes range from "Realism Versus" mode to "Chainsaw Massacre," which gives all players chainsaws with an unlimited supply of gasoline. There are over 20 Mutations planned, each playable on all L4D2 Campaigns. Mutations are exclusively available to owners of "The Passing" DLC.

Holy shit, that sounds so awesome (and like a really good/simple way to keep people playing). I'm assuming the Mutations will occurr on a 20 week cycle and not just end after 20 weeks?

Also, awesome to have L4D characters confirmed as playable, and still have a new game mode to be excited for.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes.

****ing lol'd at confusion over the changing poster

you think they're gonna just put one up and outright tell us who it is?

This is great news, especially with the new "Mutations."

It's that what Unreal Tournament calls their mods? Mutators?

Just saying...

I'm rather disappointed with that new game mode. Guessing from the name I was hoping for some kind of infection gameplay (7 survivors, one infected, every time an infected kills a survivor, he respawns as infected).
Nevertheless, great news. Free for PC as usual. Thanks Valve!

It's that what Unreal Tournament calls their mods? Mutators?

Just saying...

That's what I first thought when I heard mutations.

Looking back, I don't see anything definitively backing up either of us on this issue.

I don't recall where it was confirmed, but I'm sure old survivors are going to be NPCs.

I don't recall where it was confirmed, but I'm sure old survivors are going to be NPCs.
Would make the achievement requiring you to kill a Tank only with the old survivors a little puzzling, though.

It's simple, they're standing on a platform where you can't reach. They shoot at the tank from there to help the new survivors.

Remember your first Antlion Guard in Half-Life 2? You can let the turret guy kill it before you do. It's similar.

In The Passing the L4D1 characters will all be NPCs, yes. I am curious to how that achievement will work, sure you can run around in circles while the 3 L4D1ers load into the tank but it doesn't sound particularly satisfying or achievement worthy :p

Looking for clues about theme of The Passing: In rural Georgia, wedding reception map, some kind of port (possibly finale) to escape by boat, golf course? poster suggests less emphasis on rural?

there's also a Midnight Riders cameo. they might show up at the finale, who knows.

Looking for clues about theme of The Passing: In rural Georgia, wedding reception map, some kind of port (possibly finale) to escape by boat, golf course? poster suggests less emphasis on rural?

It's probably a small town surrounded by huge rural fields... But, about the finale, if the campaign is set between Dead Center and Dark Carnival, they should have the Jimmy Gibbs Junior car somewhere right?

In The Passing the L4D1 characters will all be NPCs, yes. I am curious to how that achievement will work, sure you can run around in circles while the 3 L4D1ers load into the tank but it doesn't sound particularly satisfying or achievement worthy :p

Hey guys, i don't post here very often but i pretty much have been passing by here on a daily basis since my account was created, but usually just like to read and browse the site (Which is great btw)

Anyways i think i can answer this question, on the Left4dead 2 blog you'll notice the achievement for the NPC tank killing is "Kite Like a Man"
'Kill a tank only with damage from the original Survivors.'

And i'm sure as you guys know kiting generally means

"Kiting is a term encountered in MMORPGs such as EverQuest, Guild Wars, Eve Online, TwelveSky, TwelveSky 2, or World of Warcraft, referring to a popular method of killing mobs (monsters) or other players by staying at a distance, using ranged attacks, and running whenever the enemy comes near.[1] Similar tactics may be used in other computer and video games.[2]" (Taken from Wikipedia)

And as u guys also know it's usually the person closest to the tank that the tank himself goes for, so i'm quite certain it'll mean getting close to the tank to piss him off and then try and lead him around whilst the npc's kill him, and make sure u don't get killed, with your team mates also goading him of course :)

*Edit*

I just read again what you wrote glenn and just realised i just pretty much did a really pointless long version of what you already said... hence the suckiness of my input, this is the reason i usually just spectate! :p

Has anyone else noticed that this coincidentally spells the end of any new L4D1 DLC, unless they either place a new DLC preceding the next one in the timeline or introduce a new original survivor altogether? Both of which don't seem likely?

A new L4D DLC has been confirmed ages ago. First the Passing, then the comic, then the L4D DLC.

survive a tank without the option of being able to do anything to it yourself has been done similarly in other game for achievements before i.e. the turret antlion as already said, pacifist achievement in geometry wars, etc.

lets be fair, achievements are never always satisfying or worth the effort. most seem like filler.

Yeah, they've said for certain it will have L4D's characters as NPCs, but it's also vague enough to allow the old characters as playable.

A new L4D DLC has been confirmed ages ago. First the Passing, then the comic, then the L4D DLC.
I know, I was referring to after that. When they bring out the L4D DLC which kills a survivor ... where do you go from there?

backwards, like crash course did.

edit: or new survivor? i doubt that but hey, if idiots are gonna complain about L4D DLC, give 'em something big to bring it home.

I don't know about the backwards thing ... I considered it, but it seems a bit weird to go "here's this big huge death of a character, they're dead forever now in the canon of the game ... oh wait, here's another campaign where they're not dead yet, enjoy".

Back