The perils of Dating when you're a Magic the Gathering World Champoin

Are you a blogger "Yes." Strike one. What do you blog about "Technology and gadgets" Strike two. Who do you blog for? "Gizmodo." Strike three.
Haha exactly.

My biggest issue with it personally:
I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people I sort of know, including one of my co-workers. Mothers, warn your daughters! This could happen to you. You'll think you've found a normal bearded guy with a job, only to end up sharing goat cheese with a guy who takes you to a one-man show based on Jeffrey Dahmer's life story.
Who cares that he plays Magic? That's like being repulsed that someone has a hobby (videogames, etc) and is good at it. She acts like it makes him a leper. This guy is the world champion of MTG and has won shitloads of money at tournaments, and also plays professional poker. Also, "you think you've found a normal bearded guy with a job"... he's a hedge fund manager for christ's sake. Which is a real job, unlike writing bloggy psuedo-articles on Gizmodo.

Basically she's just a bitch. I don't envy how much negative attention and blind hatred she's going to receive from the shitstorm over this though.

No. No. Do you ever read anything properly? I was saying that by publicly rating her appearance, you sink to the same level she is at by publicly criticizing her date.
When this thread reaches 600,000 unique visitors and counting, your statement above will be true.

did you understand anything I said? the order of magnitude is nowhere the same

Oh, I'm not really talking about the amount of people that will see it, more about the judgement that both parties are making. The day women can do anything without some idiot commenting on our appearance despite the fact that it seldom has anything to do with our actions will be a happy one for me.

Yeah, it's true, less people look at this. It's still pretty nasty to judge someone based on appearance, hobbies, whatever.

Also, she went on a private date and made it public in bad taste. This forum did not have any kind of private contact with her. Everything said here was already in the public realm.

Oh, I'm not really talking about the amount of people that will see it, more about the judgement that both parties are making. The day women can do anything without some idiot commenting on our appearance despite the fact that it seldom has anything to do with our actions will be a happy one for me.

stop letting your self esteem be dictated by what a single person says? also not using this story/my comment as an excuse to air your beef with men in general would be nice as well. I mean you wouldnt want to be a hypocrite and stoop to her level right?

Yeah, it's true, less people look at this. It's still pretty nasty to judge someone based on appearance, hobbies, whatever.

worse yet is to stereotype an entire gender over one person's comments

I think Stern just got defensive outside of a Politics thread.

IDGAF, shes a fiver. Perfectly average.
Personality sounds like a three though.

I think Stern just got defensive outside of a Politics thread.

YOU SHUT UP!!!

the Magic the Gathering World Champeen speaks:

Thanks for all the support internet. People want "my side" but it was really a complete non event. Go out on a date that's kinda blah. Next day the girl tweets me about what shes reading about me, my reply is merely a prophetic, "Remember to use your powers only for good" She then texts me about serial killer dreams and I dont reply because I didnt think we had much chemistry. A couple days later I'm home and I'm a bit bored and I know she works right by me and seemed like the sort of girl I should like so I text her about grabbing a bite Since I know she works around the corner. An hour later we meet up and it quickly becomes clear I'm bored, she's bored(I assume) but its raining heavily out.Eventually I suggest we head out anyways and luckily I find a cab. We go our separate ways and never speak again. At that point I just thought she was a nice girl, which I still mostly think. God knows we've all made poor decisions in our lives.

Id like to thank everyone for their messages, and Im sorry I cant reply to them all - especially all the date requests from cute nerdy girls

a hell of a lot more diplomatic than his date

here he answers questions:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/jz3u7/iama_jon_finkel_ask_me_anything/

Q: What was your first reaction upon reading her post about you?

A: I felt a little, I dunno, violated. Even though the post itself didnt make me look bad at all(at least I didnt think). Still, its sort of like someone publishing emails you wrote to your girlfriend, or posting part of your diary - it just feels wrong

she opened the judgement door and shouldnt be surprised when it comes back to bite her in the ass

You're right that totally makes it okay.

How ****ing old are you again?

Why is everyone so mean to you Stern? :(

idk probably accidentily killed their kitten or insulted their favourite breakfast cereal or something. there's a lot of crazies out there

Bad_Hat said:
You're right that totally makes it okay.

whoopdeedo some dude thinks what I said isnt ok. I dont know how I can go on knowing that somewhere someone has sand up their vagina because of little ole me

Who cares she is an ugly bitch anyway Bad Hat. That does make a difference in this specific case.

Wow. "Ugly bitch" is a pretty hateful thing to call somebody. It makes me wonder, if that's what you say about a slim, blonde, (seemingly) attractive woman with a good complexion, what would you say about me, or any of my female friends? How does it make a difference in this specific case, anyway?

Wow. "Ugly bitch" is a pretty hateful thing to call somebody. It makes me wonder, if that's what you say about a slim, blonde, (seemingly) attractive woman with a good complexion, what would you say about me, or any of my female friends? How does it make a difference in this specific case, anyway?
How is it hateful if it's just an observation. She's an ugly woman. Is that better for you? Get over being so PC. the bitch is ugly, that's that.

Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks.

haha, just messing with you with that one.

GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN!!!11

why you taking this so personally KC? we say far worse things of people who more or less deserve it. sometimes they dont deserve it at all but hey this is the internet

Can't we drop this nonsense and fall back on everybody's favorite, most reliable pastime?

Hatin' on fatties?

why you taking this so personally KC? we say far worse things of people who more or less deserve it. sometimes they dont deserve it at all but hey this is the internet

Well it's just that....somebody's got to, you know? There was a time in my life when I had no option but to laugh comments like that off. I sort of wish I still could do it. Don't worry, it's nothing personal. I won't really get into it anymore because that's not what the thread is about.

To get back on point, what she did was mean with all the publicism and mocking and such, but it's probably fair enough/understandable that she didn't give him a second chance. Some people have no tenacity.

^ Agreed, women has to take a lot of shit for their appearance even when it isn't relevant at all (like in this case). No one has commented on the guy's appearance (I'm sure a picture could be found easily). I understand your frustration.

whoopdeedo some dude thinks what I said isnt ok. I dont know how I can go on knowing that somewhere someone has sand up their vagina because of little ole me

No wait I forgot, not caring about stuff is how I look like a cool dude on The Internet.

For all your griping about how people vilify you at every turn, you really do get off on being obnoxious, don't you?

Who cares she is an ugly bitch anyway Bad Hat. That does make a difference in this specific case.

Please, do educate me.

If you're willing to call her an ugly bitch "when nobody else will see it", I don't see how acting in a non-genuine manner in public makes you a better person. More polite, sure, but also kind of a liar?

IMO she's a bitch for writing the article like that.

One more thing. Bad hat and Kip's Cat need to chill out a bit. Did the saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones..." ever become irrelevant? The only reason that PC exists is because people like you have a giant splintery pole up your collective asses. Harsh words and insults do not actually do anything. (unless it gets proven that getting insulted leads to a higher chance for the common cold) Just get over it and realize that the people throwing the insults are just huge dicks.

^ Agreed, women has to take a lot of shit for their appearance even when it isn't relevant at all (like in this case). No one has commented on the guy's appearance (I'm sure a picture could be found easily). I understand your frustration.

finkle_630x_2.jpg

Attachments

• finkle_630x_2.jpg
    finkle_630x_2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 256
Guy doesnt even look like a nerd :( I was hoping for a robe and wizard hat. I hate it when stereotypes aren't fulfilled.

And to BadHat: she hated on him for something like that so she becomes fair game in all categories. If she wants to hate like she did there she better hope she's a perfect 10 in looks and coolness. Turns out she's an ugly hoe who writes like she's trying to hard to work for "Cracked.com" or something.

So, let me get this straight.

This thread was made hating on some woman because she made negative comments about some dude.

I LOLd at the hypocrisy.

IDGAF, he's a seven.
Personality sounds like a nine though.

I just find the most funny thing about this whole thing is that Stern sided with the nerds. Surely I can't be the only one. lol

Pretty deplorable writing an article like that. The other OKcupid article doesn't exactly paint her as a very nice person (though we all have judgmental thoughts like hers, tend to keep them to ourselves). Nice to see him taking the high road though.

Also, I think he looks pretty attractive.

he's not a bad looking dude. i bet he's getting like a billion weird nerdy girl date requests now, which must be overwhelming and awkward :p

also [email protected]. cant we all just hold hands and agree that she's a bitch :p i wonder how severe the backlash will affect her career... honestly the most suitable thing is how this will affect her Google results, which she previously seemed so proud of.

She is pretty bland looking, to be fair.

Also a rather boring writer with a questionable character.

She bothers to blog all this (in addition to using the sleaziest 'dating' website in the world) and has the audacity to have judged him as a super-nerd loser based on being the star of a popular game?

Irony of it is she probably wrote the article for hits on her blog, which could easily be labeled just as nerdy.

In fact, **** this trick ass whore. Christ.

One more thing. Bad hat and Kip's Cat need to chill out a bit. Did the saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones..." ever become irrelevant? The only reason that PC exists is because people like you have a giant splintery pole up your collective asses. Harsh words and insults do not actually do anything. (unless it gets proven that getting insulted leads to a higher chance for the common cold) Just get over it and realize that the people throwing the insults are just huge dicks.

How about you try to live your life with people judging you on a superficial characteristic at every turn, regardless of whether it has any relevance to what you're being judged in regards to, and then feed me that "sticks and stones" bullshit. I've seen this exact sentiment from others here before and all I can hear when someone brings it up is "listen to me, I've never been subjected to prejudice!" But oh, how convenient for you to be able to label anything "PC" when it involves asking people to be just a little bit ****ing considerate.

Your argument is a 4 at best, tbh.

And to BadHat: she hated on him for something like that so she becomes fair game in all categories. If she wants to hate like she did there she better hope she's a perfect 10 in looks and coolness. Turns out she's an ugly hoe who writes like she's trying to hard to work for "Cracked.com" or something.

So she would have been free from this criticism if she was smoking hot? Great, thanks for advancing the stereotype that you can get away with anything as long as you're equipped with the right genetic material. Dumbass.

By the way, I like how the most honest post in the thread is also the stupidest:

An eye for an eye, please, anyone?

I mean no offence, but really?

I mean no offence, but really?

Yes, how dare I make fun of the female troll by rating her appearance on a gasp, Internet forum.
And her appearance is relevant since she posted the guy's photo, implying he's below average, or something along those lines.
But oh noes that's like sinking to her level and stuff.

In my experience the "turning the other cheek policy" doesn't work. So yes, bullying the bully is an adequate response.

Thing is people are generally quite content to be rude and nasty in private about those who have proven themselves to be wilfully rude and nasty in public.
Fair enough really...

Yes, how dare I make fun of the female troll by rating her appearance on a gasp, Internet forum.
And her appearance is relevant since she posted the guy's photo, implying he's below average, or something along those lines.
But oh noes that's like sinking to her level and stuff.

In my experience the "turning the other cheek policy" doesn't work. So yes, bullying the bully is an adequate response.

Right. So which is it, judging her on a *gasp* internet forum or bullying the bully? Because in one hand you're implying that it's totally cool because she's not gonna see it anyway (to quote an earlier post, "the order of magnitude is nowhere the same!"), and in the other you're suggesting that you're using it as some kind of punitive action. Regardless, I don't think the issue is as skin-deep (heh) as some of you seem to think. There seems to be this assumption that you're just trading like for like - she judged him on a superficial characteristic, so we're just judging her for one of hers! Except... why attractiveness? Are you really going to pretend that it was just out of coincidence or convenience that The Internet (yeah, it's happening outside of this forum too) convened on this one aspect of her character as a means of retort? Besides the bitchiness of course, which I totally get behind.

Again, people can tell me I'm getting up in arms over something that's just "sticks and stones," but I really think this is symptomatic of a larger issue. I'm not saying that everyone who judges her in this way is some kind of horrible sexist super-bigot, but I will say that it's really ****ing inconsiderate and promotes a stereotype which makes some people's lives that much harder to live. To be absolutely clear, I don't take issue with people stating how attracted they are to a person, that's natural. It's when you use that attraction to denote somebody's worth as a person that I take issue with it. You can protest this point all you like, but when you criticize her appearance in this context, realise that I'm not going to read it as an unrelated, off-the-cuff remark (unless you're Krynn, because he does that). From my perspective, the sentiment being thrown around in this thread and elsewhere is essentially "she should be happy with what she gets." And if opposing that kind of shit makes me PC, so be it.

IMO she's a bitch for writing the article like that.

No. I got called an "ugly bitch" or some similar hateful thing on at least a weekly basis at school (I'm very very very ridiculously good looking, however). It's just an awful, disgusting thing to call a woman, or anybody, and "chill out" is an inappropriate response because laughing off that level of disrespect towards women just makes it ok for that kind of disrespect to be ubiquitous. Every day of my secondary school life I laughed off shit like that and worse. It was only when I got to college and met real people that I realized how awful it was and that by permitting it, we promote hatred of women and hey, **** it, just hatred in general. Even in college, there are dicks who stick their hands down my top when they get drunk, and idiots who tell me that it's not possible for me to have good spacial skills because of my vagina (even though I'm the goddamn best in my whole family at reading a map) and fools who spend all their leisure time on websites rating out of 10 women who spent hours and hours on their hair and make-up, and for what? So some creep could come along and say "yeah she'd be a 7 if her nose wasn't so big"? So no, Higlac, I won't "chill out". The attitudes that we have shape the culture that we live in. Harsh words and insults do a lot actually.

Now please, please, for the love of god, can we get back to whining about what the mean lady did to the cute nerd?

I don't understand where the usage of physical attractiveness comes in. Did she call the guy ugly? If so I don't really see how it legitimately gets brought up. The last thing in the world we need is for people who criticize others to have physical attractiveness thrown in their faces as a conversation stop.

"Well he plays magic the gathering and he's a total dweeb."
"Yeah well... you're not so good looking yourself, ugly!"

It's just confusing.

Calling people out on their bitchiness/assholishness though? Absolutely.

Did the saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones..." ever become irrelevant?
When the **** was it ever relevant? Words can hurt a ****ing lot and ideas and words are extremely important. It's a stupid expression used to dismiss important things.

Back