The Sacrifice is Now Available!

It ends right when you press the button. It focuses on whoever went down and you just see them getting pounded by rocks and infected for a few seconds.

Left 4 Dead 2 $6.48, I knew it was worth waiting. I can't believe it was $50, chumps! I'm glad the 'you pay more timed exclusive' is over and the proletariat version is out, I too want to use a fire axe to kill zombies without losing an actual arm and leg.

emot-golfclap.gif

Better save up for Left 4 Dead 2: The Sacrifice: Episode 2

Worth the $35 I paid in the 4 pack. You can't beat day 1 adrenaline/anticipation/orgasms.

I have a conscientious consumer moneygasm building up, though.

It's one big boomer-hand pat on the back for zombie fueled adrenaline and fiscal responsibility.
emot-smugbert.gif

Campaign was meh except for the finale.
The ending itself was horrible.

Rimfire's idea for survival mode at the end should've been implemented instead of just being the most anticlimactic ending to anything ever.

don't listen the amateur players, it's an excellent campaign. it's also great for versus.

How can you be bad at Left 4 Dead? it's a shooting gallery... even on Hard.

How can you be bad at Left 4 Dead? it's a shooting gallery... even on Hard.

The fact that you called it "Hard" tells me you're bad at it. Play it on Expert. If you think you're some kind of superhero, play it on Hard with Realism. It requires solid communication and people who know what the hell they're doing.

Also I paid $35 in a four pack and it was definitely worth it just to play when it was new. It's nice now that a lot of new shiny stuff was added, but I'd never have waited this long to play a game that I knew I'd invest so many hours in just to save some cash.

My steam is still broken after this update, almost a day later. Just get constant "Cannot connect to steam" messages, and when I try to load games from the executable's it tells me the local steam service is inactive. looks like a full reinstall for me.

the DLC was ok, but I've played both games for a total of like 32 hrs and I've seen enough of it.

I didn't like the passing at all. Too narrow and claustrophic and linear.

But i love the sacrifice! That's more like a left for dead 2 map! Open areas, a greater feeling of non-linearity.

Excellent mapping, excellent stuff valve.

The Sacrifice is pretty nice. I like the train yard environments and the docklands and it feels like a nice short little adventure. I didn't hear much new dialogue though which was a let down. Perhaps we were just running through the levels too fast but I heard no environmental dialogue and no introduction to the new special infected like you get in Dead Center. That is, all the characters already know what a jockey is and you get no fun "What the hell is that?" dialogue. Most of the new weapons just get a generic "weapons here" line which is also a disappointment. Did they not have enough time with the voice actors or something? The ending itself is also a disappointment. You push the button and it ends. There is no last stand scenario you just drop from full health to dead (and not even in the spot where Bill dies in the comic). Have Valve been taking lessons from Bethesda for bad endings? At least Bethesda fixed the Fallout 3 ending so it wasn't quite as dumb.

The ending and dialogue seem half-finished but the actual levels themselves are solid and well made. So please Valve, just fix it and it'll be a perfect addition to the L4D series.

On the other hand the TAAAAANK! mutation is insanely fun. Most rounds just end in a curbstomp but when you make it to the end you feel like a goddamn king. I even sacrificed my self in one of the games. A tank got in front of me (which basically means I was dead, the only way to not die is to not stop) so I started shooting all four tanks and backpedaling and getting them to chase me. We got one survivor to the safe house at the end of that round :)

Your game must be buggy. They don't shut up through the entire campaign. They have the dialogue for the new infected (Louis: Jackie!) - no new dialogue for the items though.

I just replayed it singleplayer and I heard a bit more dialogue. My complaint isn't that there's no dialogue for new infected, it's that they know what they are without having ever seen them. In the first few levels of Dead Center all the L4D2 survivors have lines of dialogue that show they're not familiar with the special infected yet. The L4D survivors know what jockeys are psychically it would seem.

Further comments on the finale. There's dialogue about finding a boat, and sometimes they'll even comment on seeing the sail boat. There's also dialogue on having to raise the bridge. There doesn't seem to be any dialogue on why the two have anything to do with each other. If you hadn't read the comic you wouldn't know why they want to raise the bridge in the first place seeing as they spent the entire chapter talking about boats, not bridges.

The generators themselves don't make that much sense. You start them up and the bridge comes down then you wait for five minutes while the horde attacks and nothing happens then the barrier falls when if feels like it. You climb on the bridge and raise it but the generator stops and very little point is made of this by the survivors. I'm after playing this ending three or four times now and I heard one character mentioning turning the generator back on once (Louis, if anyone cares). The characters should be making a bigger deal out of this. The HUD should not be explaining the story.

As I've said already the sacrificial player is handled very badly. He just drops dead after pressing the button and it's really anticlimactic. Before this was out I figured you'd restart the generator at which point the bridge would keep raising, taking the other survivors out of range of the infected, while they watched on and gave the sacrificed player fire for his final stand (and had dialogue during this), where he gets to keep playing until he's dead, making for a good climax and a sense of accomplishment. But instead it's run, push button, you win. There isn't even any unique dialogue except for the normal "oh no X" lines.

So yeah. Good campaign (and really fun mutation) but a very poorly executed ending to what was a good concept.

For me The Sacrifice was ok. Better than Crash Course but not as good as The Passing.

As a Versus map, Sacrifice is the map that L4D2 always needed.

I haven't tried it Versus yet. I think the important part that people are missing is now you can play No Mercy again like you did in the demo and as the only multiplayer map for an eternity in the original L4D.

There's one thing that I saw on a random L4D2 server that I wish was an integrated part of L4D... when you attacked a survivor, you got to hear the voice chat of that person. So you can hear them scream for help and such as though you were actually attacking them. It might get annoying but having it as an option would be fun.

That is, all the characters already know what a jockey is and you get no fun "What the hell is that?" dialogue.
I actually found that rather artificial in L4D2. They can be like "is that thing riding him?" even when they've seen jockeys do so for umpteen times. Now it's as though the old survivors have seen all special infected already for quite some times (which would be logical; why would jockeys etc. appear now, and not earlier?).

Also, survivors seemed psychic already, what with "there's a hunter around here" when all a hunter did was duck, not even growl...

when you attacked a survivor, you got to hear the voice chat of that person. So you can hear them scream for help and such as though you were actually attacking them. It might get annoying but having it as an option would be fun.

"options/vote/all talk"

I actually found that rather artificial in L4D2. They can be like "is that thing riding him?" even when they've seen jockeys do so for umpteen times. Now it's as though the old survivors have seen all special infected already for quite some times (which would be logical; why would jockeys etc. appear now, and not earlier?).
"It mutates daily."

The military had never seen any special infected after being hold up for a week or two in their base. Bill's first line in the L4D intro is even "They're changing."

Actually the L4D2 characters showing that they're unfamiliar with the Infected at first and exchanging names in the elevator in Dead Center seems a bit inconsistent with the intro, where they know each other. Cause from what I understand, in the intro they are running up the stairs but are late for the chopper evac and that's when the action starts off from in the first campaign.

Actually the L4D2 characters showing that they're unfamiliar with the Infected at first and exchanging names in the elevator in Dead Center seems a bit inconsistent with the intro, where they know each other. Cause from what I understand, in the intro they are running up the stairs but are late for the chopper evac and that's when the action starts off from in the first campaign.

I dunno I think it's plausible. Maybe they were hiding out individually and heard the chopper and just happened to be all running in the same direction. That would also explain why none of them have weapons up until that point.

I dunno I think it's plausible. Maybe they were hiding out individually and heard the chopper and just happened to be all running in the same direction. That would also explain why none of them have weapons up until that point.

The problem with this theory is that IIRC Nick says something like "C'mon, Coach. Maybe the helicopter... maybe it's made of chocolate." So he knows his nickname already. And in the game they give us the impression that Coach introduces himself for the first time in the elevator - "My friends call me Coach".

Or maybe Nick and Coach came together, but they don't know Ellis and Rochelle?

Back