The storyline to Half Life 2 makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, there's little chance that the Combine would actually shape a teleporter as something that spews out fecal matter.

There isn't space for, you know, a... giant to get up there and... you know. Besides it'd probably hurt him.

'Soo... what's that sticky... whitish liquid lying around? Unpasteurised milk?'

'Oh dear, you're such a klutz. Staining your pants with teleporter coolant? I really need better assistants.'

Really. So because they might be 2-3 times the size of the human they're automatically superior? So by that line of thinking, elephants are actually the superior species on Earth. Even though we can kill them pretty easily with a gun, they're just allowing us to exist right? :rolleyes:

Actually, it's the Blue Whales that run the governments.

I'd just like to point out that the original postyman was complaining that the story wasn't enough like the movie Independence Day.

Not realistic like Independence Day was.

Anywho, why could people start winning?
Maybe the mass-produced alien weaponry and body armour lying around everywhere.

oh noes we lost to combine lol--
IndependenceDay.jpg

I'd just like to point out that the original postyman was complaining that the story wasn't enough like the movie Independence Day.

Not realistic like Independence Day was.

Anywho, why could people start winning?
Maybe the mass-produced alien weaponry and body armour lying around everywhere.

Wow. How could I miss that. That really ends this discussion, doesn't it?

Why are we even arguing with this monkey (thread poster)?

if you don't like the story line, don't play it anymore, curse yourself for buying the game.

if you think you can do it better? go ahead, contact valve and tell them you can kick more ass in story telling and await their reactions.

its valve's game, they call the shots, they make it how want to make it.
If you don't like it, its your problem. Don't create such a pointless thread about your problem, unless off course someday we get a forum called "Your problem" where we can discuss your problem. But the chance that will happen will be very slim

lawl.!!

under.jpg

This should clear things up
That's a load of crap. If the Combine can't teleport to Earth because the citadels have been destroyed then how did they get to Earth in the first place?

Edit: Your diagram is also misleading. They are not just teleporting from one planet to another, they are teleporting from one universe to another.

Exactly, the Citadels were teleported there to begin with so that picture makes no sense lol

That's a load of crap. If the Combine can't teleport to Earth because the citadels have been destroyed then how did they get to Earth in the first place?

Erm, it's sort of obvious?

Apart from the universe difference there is there, that is a pretty good diagram.

Edit: Your diagram is also misleading. They are not just teleporting from one planet to another, they are teleporting from one universe to another.
Space ship? How do you think they even discovered the Earth.

Naw, they didn't come in spaceships Veg. They discovered Earth due to the resonance cascade. They detected the huge energies given off and simply forced the portal storms that were ravaging the planet at the time wider, and managed to deploy their Citadels in major population centres.

Naw, they didn't come in spaceships Veg. They discovered Earth due to the resonance cascade. They detected the huge energies given off and simply forced the portal storms that were ravaging the planet at the time wider, and managed to deploy their Citadels in major population centres.

Yup, like a... hang on, I just gotta think of a good analogy to Portal Storms...

...like portal storms that you force wider to deploy your Citadels in major population centres.

I was thinking this.

Say your hooks are attracted to magnets. Say you're casting your hooks into another universe. Say these portal storms are like a magnet.

I think the portal storms attracted the Combine teleporters over, forcefully or otherwise, and the Combine merely capitalised on the situation.

/EDIT AJRimmer! Come back to the DC!

Actually, I think the Combine can still portal to Earth. They just didn't know anything was wrong. The combine on Earth lost the ability to send messages when the Citadel fell, but the Combine seems pretty huge so maybe they didn't notice (or maybe they don't report in very often). So they overload the core to restore their message-sending capability for a little bit to alert the combine, who will undoubtedly soon send reinforcements.

And that's where the story continues, hopefully the project mentioned in Ep.1 has something to do with stopping them from coming or something of the sort.

Actually, I think the Combine can still portal to Earth. They just didn't know anything was wrong. The combine on Earth lost the ability to send messages when the Citadel fell, but the Combine seems pretty huge so maybe they didn't notice (or maybe they don't report in very often). So they overload the core to restore their message-sending capability for a little bit to alert the combine, who will undoubtedly soon send reinforcements.

No, Kleiner quite clearly stated that the Combine portals had failed. And I'm pretty sure the Combine would have noticed if a single Citadel stopped responding. What's more, the resistance movement took place during an entire week - they'd have been reporting progress.

It seems silly to me that the Combine has no way of reaching Earth. If they were precise enough to deploy their Citadels right in the middle of major cities then they ought to be able to reach Earth on their own. It is also a bit perplexing that losing just one Citadel would shutdown their teleporting capabilities. Surely they have need of more than just one small portal on Earth for transporting Citizens and Troops "offworld".

I really don't understand why some people develop so much energy in trying to put some sense in that story.
HL1 story did not had much sense mixing paralell universe, zombies, soldiers. This was only put toghether to give a nice playing experience, but if you start to try to find explanations for everything your are doomed!
In HL2 there was a try to give a more logical universe, but we still have a mix of alien versus earth and the night of the Zombies!!
If the Half-Life Story is left very fuzzy by Valve, it's only because it's impossible to build a clear storyline out of it.

Crusha', it's Laidlaw. Marc Laidlaw.

This storyweaver makes everything have perfect sense, you just need to put together the pieces provided by him. Like LEGO blocks.

And second, which part of "total failure of combine teleportation network" do you people not understand?

Let me use an analogy.

US is ferrying troops and ordnance to Iraq via large transport planes (C-130 Hercules etc.). Now, if they somehow mysteriously lost their ability to fly (eg. got blown, up, fuel got blown up, service facilities got blown up, pilots got blown up etc.), they wouldn't be able to get there.

The same is with the Combine.

They needed their INTACT portal network to open a passage to Earth. Now, this netwrok is non-functional and they *can't* open any portal. Plain and simple.

Exactly, the Citadels were teleported there to begin with so that picture makes no sense lol

The picture DOES make sense.

There is a portal storm in the very beginnig so the Combine can teleport to the Earth. Without the aid of a portal storm, Combine cannot move to Earth all by themselves.

So you're saying the Portal Storms act as a sort of natural teleporter? As a catalyst or as a target?

/EDIT By natural teleporter, I mean built teleporters can tap into the Portal Storms to find a target (location to teleport to) or in some other form.

I think yes, it can be interpreted that way.

After all, it's a natural portal and all you need to do is get in it, knowing where it leads.

If the Half-Life Story is left very fuzzy by Valve, it's only because it's impossible to build a clear storyline out of it.

Not really?

It seems silly to me that the Combine has no way of reaching Earth. If they were precise enough to deploy their Citadels right in the middle of major cities then they ought to be able to reach Earth on their own. It is also a bit perplexing that losing just one Citadel would shutdown their teleporting capabilities. Surely they have need of more than just one small portal on Earth for transporting Citizens and Troops "offworld".

Well, Mossman said the Combine use a tunnelling entanglement device to travel from universe to universe. That's what you destroy in HL2, so I suppose destroying the single Citadel unit in such an abusive manner knocked the whole system offline. Of course, only on Earth.

And according to Marc Laidlaw the portal storms are ongoing so they should be able to track them down again and force them open again. Dr. Kleiner even states that the Combine's return is certain, and I trust his opinion on the matter more than Darkangel's or your's :p

No, it was much easier during the Black Mesa aftermath. These storms were ravaging the planet left right and centre. Now, it's like a thunder storm. Every now and then. Somehow I doubt the Combine want a Citadel porting in the middle of the sea.

No, it was much easier during the Black Mesa aftermath. These storms were ravaging the planet left right and centre. Now, it's like a thunder storm. Every now and then. Somehow I doubt the Combine want a Citadel porting in the middle of the sea.

"Well sir, at least we have an ocean view!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back