The Tone of Episode 3

Sheepo

The Freeman
Reaction score
Whilst traveling through Ep. 2 with commentary on there was a node about the color tones of the game reflecting the tones of the story and game.

I propose we discuss the possible tone of Episode Three based on what we know of the story and the environments we will be facing.

So............

I'm guessing greyish, white, blue, brown and maybe some very minor green. (If tthat's what you mean by the thread)

Very dark...

Alyx is very upset. The combine are angry. And Eli is dead (if you complain about Spoilers wtf are you doing in the Episode 3 forum)

And also, its the end of HL2 series.

I think there will be a light palatte to begin, although there is alot of dark emotions, they're in snow. Snow isn't dark, so after a moment of the light colours I think we'll be plunged into wave afer wave of dark tones as the feelings take over Alyx and she probably gets angry and gets herself into trouble, Gordon will save her after a few levels of utter darkness except for the flashlight, then the colours will lighten as something with the resistance happens, but become dark again when Gordon has to go into the combine base to turn the lights off or something, at the very end there will be lots of dark colours as we have some questions answered giving us the ZOMG factor, after that it will be darkness "until nexssst time Mr Freeeemannnn..."

Remember the time of day when Ep2 finished?
It's gonna be dark when we get to the artic.

Very dark...

Alyx is very upset. The combine are angry. And Eli is dead (if you complain about Spoilers wtf are you doing in the Episode 3 forum)

And also, its the end of HL2 series.

Concur. It will be dark.

Yeh, anyone who has seen the Arctic Special of Top Gear will know the joke :LOL:

It never gets dark in the arctic, evar.

It never gets dark in the arctic, evar.

While I suppose it might be part of the joke, that's not correct. There is night and day in the arctic too, and during the winter almost the entire day is dark. Thus, I belive that Ep3 will be dark. :D

artwork.jpg

Like this. I expect interesting light and dark effects with HDR.

I expect a grayish white, but maybe darker. Would fit it well I imagine.

They need to use those effects from the start of Ep2 to create the Aurora Borealis.

BOREALIS OMG?

Muted colours (Off-white, etc). The Borealis is a source of hope for the Resistance (Especially Kleiner), but that hope has been marred by Eli's death. Ergo, greyish, etc.

Muted colours (Off-white, etc). The Borealis is a source of hope for the Resistance (Especially Kleiner), but that hope has been marred by Eli's death. Ergo, greyish, etc.

Colour, it's spelled with a "u" now.

I think ep3 will take place in the night time until we get to mossman, then the arctic will be lit up with an 18 hour sun. :D

I expect a lot of dark colors, especially blue colors.

Ep. 1 was very blue, green, and orange.
Ep. 2 was very green and orange/yellowish
Ep. 3 my guess will be be mostly blues.

I expect a lot of dark colors, especially blue colors.

Ep. 1 was very blue, green, and orange.
Ep. 2 was very green and orange/yellowish
Ep. 3 my guess will be be mostly blues.

Episode 2 was very blue. That was the intention.

I have kind of a blob grey inkling, like the color of the Borealis. you know, dull, corporate, wet paper white...

I am feeling fuschia pink and lime green. It is gonna be retro.

I suspect Combine Blue/Dark Blue.
I reckon that when you're at the Arctic the Combine will force open a pathway, causing stronger, larger Portal Storms that take Gordon, Alyx and Mossman to the Combine Overworld.....

How you like them cookies?

I suspect the colours will change over the course of the episode to go with the general feeling at the time.

Think of all the locations you could go through. There'd be the open tundra, probably a combine outpost or seven, the rebel base where Mossman sent her transmission (and may still be found), and ultimately of course the Borealis.

Mossman sent her transmission from the Borealis, I think

well...take a look at ep2 . the setting of it is the forest...when you think of forest you probably think of green,right?But instead valve used blue...so....u get the picture...

well...take a look at ep2 . the setting of it is the forest...when you think of forest you probably think of green,right?But instead valve used blue...so....u get the picture...

I didn't even know there was a picture.

we'll probably see a lot of snow, so i say it will be yellow

The sun was going down at the end of Episode Two, so I'm thinking orange and red for the beginning of the episode, then darker as things go on.

Back