THE TRUTH behind Lost Coast

S

SolidSnakeKA13

My friend is a big computer geek and after i heard the sad news that my graphics card would not handle Lost Coast. I was raged with all might and he told me that to get a graphics card that would work I would need a SLI on my motherboard which is something to suppot dual graphics cards.

So in order to get a new graphics card I would need a whole new motherboard and CPU. He said I could get the 6800 card but that is 440 buxs. So either valve ****ing did a stupid idea to showcase a tech that no one will be able to experience or my friend dosent know what he is talking about.

Sue your friend, he is a liar.

I'm sure that somehow people will be able to play it, but Valve did state that its for the high end graphics cards only.

Your friend is an idiot. And yes you need the latest high tech nvidia card today to run HDR at the high quality mode, example 6600GT and all 6800 and from Ati just wait a few weeks before they launch the cards to run HDR at high quality.

This is me caring. The whole point of Lost Coast to show what Valve are actually capable of.

sounds like rubbish to me too, yes it may run best on an sli system, but im sure it will work on non sli, with a decent graphics card just aswell

( thankgod my pc's an sli though just incase!!)

oh yeah and as harryz said, i dont think valve care if only 2% of gamers can play the level, as much as its annoying to us... the whole point is its one level to show what they can do given the best systems

Yeah, I'm tired of hearing people getting all upset because only top-notch rigs can run top-notch graphics.

You won't need SLI like everyone said.

I don't think enough people are understanding what the point of the level is... It's for VALVe to show to everyone that they are really working hard on improving the graphics in Source (I don't know any company that has released a free graphics add-on that adds a major feature like HDR... if there has been someone before, tell me)

They've stated so many times that you will need a high-end everything to run the level.

It's something like a 3.0ghz P4 CPU (don't know what the AMD equivalent is - 2200 maybe?), 256mb GeForce 6800 series, 256mb ATi x800 series (though they won't perform as well, because they don't have PS/VS 3.0... that's coming in their next series of cards).

Don't complain if you can't run it, because the point is not to get everyone playing it, but to show the VERY VERY top of the line graphics that they can get on Source.

(I don't know any company that has released a free graphics add-on that adds a major feature like HDR... if there has been someone before, tell me)
1.3 Farcry...though very crappy...

(though they won't perform as well, because they don't have PS/VS 3.0... that's coming in their next series of cards).
They dont have Ps3 but they have Ps2.0b which is just like 3.0 but no OpenEx HDR that farcry uses(somtin like that, asus knows)

I wouldn't say your friend is an idiot, maybe you just understood him wrong when he said you "need" SLI...but I'm guessing from what everyone is saying about nvidia, it would help a lot.

But jeez I should pay attention to this more, I didn't even know that ati cards couldn't run high-quality HDR...yet.

:::shrugs::: You're friend is an idiot, but not neccessarily for what he said. Its true that only top notch rigs will run the lost coast, but this isnt going to be a part of the halflife saga, really. You wont be missing out on any gameplay that is essential to the story. Quite frankly, if you just want another level for hl2, then youre missing the point of this level. Just download one of the many single player levels people have made and go crazy. The point of LC is specifically to show off the fill capabilities of the engine. Just cool off and wait for the expansion

ibriggs is your motherboard the "deluxe" version?

if it is you might not know about the defective chipset fan..check the Asus support forums for details..

I had one until a few weeks ago :(

sorry for being off topic :)

ibriggs said:
:::shrugs::: You're friend is an idiot, but not neccessarily for what he said. Its true that only top notch rigs will run the lost coast, but this isnt going to be a part of the halflife saga, really. You wont be missing out on any gameplay that is essential to the story. Quite frankly, if you just want another level for hl2, then youre missing the point of this level. Just download one of the many single player levels people have made and go crazy. The point of LC is specifically to show off the fill capabilities of the engine. Just cool off and wait for the expansion

Thats easy for you to say when you have a top notch rig. People with lower end comps like me don't want to miss out. I don't believe you'd say o it's just a stupid lvl don't worry about it if you had a lower quality comp like us.

if u go onto steam and u browse games. i found lost coast advertised and it says that anyone that has hl2 can get lost coast free since it was originally part of the game in sandtraps

SolidSnakeKA13 said:
So in order to get a new graphics card I would need a whole new motherboard and CPU.

Why upgrade your whole PC just to get 30-40 mins of gameplay? Lost Coast will be pretty, but I doubt you'll be missing out on some sort of amazing adventure.
From what I understand, it's just a pretty little map - a tech demo.

I don't understand some people's hurt when they realise their PC can't run Lost Coast... it's like Valve has personally insulted them! I doubt I'll be able to play it either, but whatever.
I'll get a go on it at some point.

Also, lots of people argue that LC should have scaleable graphics settings so anyone can play it.
AFAIK this can't be done, because the level has been designed from the ground up around the new technology.
For example, I read it has puzzles involving the newfangled lighting.

Noobulon said:
I don't understand some people's hurt when they realise their PC can't run Lost Coast... it's like Valve has personally insulted them! I doubt I'll be able to play it either, but whatever.
I'll get a go on it at some point.

I don't know why people can't COMPREHEND that you can turn off HDR and anyone that can play HL2 can play LC, you people are going crazy over this. My X800 Pro will be running with HDR, and its not even the best card out there.

But keep on all telling yourselves you won't be able to play it, because you will have a nice suprise when its released. It will work, just won't be able to use the feature that came with it.

colson said:
Thats easy for you to say when you have a top notch rig. People with lower end comps like me don't want to miss out. I don't believe you'd say o it's just a stupid lvl don't worry about it if you had a lower quality comp like us.

God, it's just a ****ing tech demo. It's not going to be like "OMFG FIND OUT WHO GMAN REALLY IS!".

And nomatter what, you can play it, just turn the damn HDR rendering off.

Stop whining about this. It's getting stupid.

EDIT: Nobulon, you make a good point on HDR not being a feature you can disable in LC.

But ultimately, it's just a ****ing tech demo. Don't fret. It's like those XBox 360 games they have running on the highest of high end systems at E3, it's just to show off the technology, not to make it actually playable.

Even if you could disable HDR, if your computer can't handle hDR why do you think it would be able to handle a super detailed level?

Wait..as long as HL2 runs on my pc, Lost Coast will work as well, right?
No, Lost Coast has far far more polygon counts, far higher texture sizes. it is an extremely detailed level, it's like this:
Heres the latest graphics, cpu, and ram around. Have fun, let your imagination go wild!

It isn't
Heres the latest graphics, cpu, and ram around. Heres some very old graphics, cpu, and ram around. Lets make this level to work on both.

BlackMesaDude said:
And yes you need the latest high tech nvidia card today to run HDR at the high quality mode, example 6600GT and all 6800
Iced_Eagle said:
It's something like a 3.0ghz P4 CPU (don't know what the AMD equivalent is - 2200 maybe?), 256mb GeForce 6800 series, 256mb ATi x800 series
So can you use a 6600GT to run it good, or do you need a 6800? I just bought a 6600GT off NewEgg, so I hope that you can use it...:hmph:

I'm going to turn HDR off because I don't feel the need to shell out to be blinded by white light :)

SixThree said:
I'm going to turn HDR off because I don't feel the need to shell out to be blinded by white light :)

HDR in a nutshell.

And Lost Coast is just like a demo right? There's only going to be enough content to last maybe an hour at most if you're the exploring type (my estimate). Just wait 5 years and then your PCs will be able to run the level easily for less money than it would cost now.

We'll all be able to play it eventually.

SolidSnakeKA13 said:
My friend is a big computer geek and after i heard the sad news that my graphics card would not handle Lost Coast. I was raged with all might and he told me that to get a graphics card that would work I would need a SLI on my motherboard which is something to suppot dual graphics cards.

So in order to get a new graphics card I would need a whole new motherboard and CPU. He said I could get the 6800 card but that is 440 buxs. So either valve ****ing did a stupid idea to showcase a tech that no one will be able to experience or my friend dosent know what he is talking about.
no

ok

Your friend isn't very smart.

Solidsocom said:
if u go onto steam and u browse games. i found lost coast advertised and it says that anyone that has hl2 can get lost coast free since it was originally part of the game in Highway 17

Fixed.

Can someone answer my question? I've been finding mixed answers online, with people saying it'll run, and others saying Lost Coast'll only run on 6800s...would the 6600GT work with it?

BetaMaster said:
Can someone answer my question? I've been finding mixed answers online, with people saying it'll run, and others saying Lost Coast'll only run on 6800s...would the 6600GT work with it?

Dude this is pathetic, HDR WON'T LIMIT YOU FROM PLAYING THE ADDTIONAL CONTENT. HDR CAN BE TURNED OFF, how many times must I keep saying this?

So either valve ****ing did a stupid idea to showcase a tech that no one will be able to experience or my friend dosent know what he is talking about.

The whole point of it is to showcase what can be done with the latest tech.Just because you cant run it does not meen no one else can.

Is Valve waiting to release Lost Coast when ATI has their new card out?

You've all got to remember what The Lost Coast actually is.

It's no more than two maps. They form possibly up to two levels that were cut from the Coasts part of the game. If you look at what order the maps come in, you have d2_coast_01 etc. etc. but it misses d2_coast_02 and d2_coast_06 so it'll just be these two maps. You're all pissing in your pants about something that will give you about an hour's worth of gameplay (probably less).

Calm down, it's just a technology demo. Start pissing your pants when Aftermath is closer :)

DiSTuRbEd said:
Dude this is pathetic, HDR WON'T LIMIT YOU FROM PLAYING THE ADDTIONAL CONTENT. HDR CAN BE TURNED OFF, how many times must I keep saying this?
Do you know for a fact that you can turn HDR off? Has Valve stated this? I haven't read this anywhere. It would make more sense they wouldn't have options to scale it, as this is just a showcase for high-end graphics. You keep saying that, with no proof that I've seen.

Do you know for a fact that you can turn HDR off? Has Valve stated this? I haven't read this anywhere. It would make more sense they wouldn't have options to scale it, as this is just a showcase for high-end graphics. You keep saying that, with no proof that I've seen.

They said hdr will be in all future valve games.So there probably will be an option
to turn it off.Unless rveryone can run it.:upstare:

BetaMaster said:

You obviously haven't read many interviews about it then.

Kare Bear said:
They said hdr will be in all future valve games.So there probably will be an option
to turn it off.Unless rveryone can run it.:upstare:

It's been said a few too many times, but the point of LC is to showcase the technolgies and graphics possibilities and all that good stuff.

And yes, I've read that it will be in all future valve games, and it'll probably be allowed to be shut off in those titles.

The reason? Because on those titles, they're going to try to appease everyone. On LC, the idea is just to show off graphics; it's basically a tech demo. So, I really doubt that they'll allow you to turn it (HDR) off in LC.

--

Another thing, don't think that even with HDR off, you'd be able to run it with a geforce 4 mx 420, because the poly counts are obviously much higher than the normal HL2 gameplay. Just look at the few shots of Lost Coast that have been release. It's apparent.

--

Yes, I do have a pretty nice computer, but I'm still only expecting to get 20-30fps maximum.

chu said:
Probably. They were originally called the "ATI Levels" and best quality seems to require SM3.0.

JPack said:
chu said:
Probably. They were originally called the "ATI Levels" and best quality seems to require SM3.0.
BOOOOO!! Nvidia fanboys cry out in anger!

Back