The "what series are you watching now?" thread

Bad^Hat

The Freeman
Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you're thinking, "oh hurray another banal misc-alike spam magnet," and you'd probably be half-right, but I intend to try and serve a purpose with it. This section is pretty popular, probably due in no small part to the attention the movie review thread gets, but there's not really any open discussion about TV and DVD (which is 2/3rds of the topic!) unless it's brought up in a thread specifically about that series. However, the threads don't really stay afloat for very long after the series has died out, and it'd be pointless to create a new one every time someone got into a show and felt like sharing their opinion (not to mention the board's strict anti-necromancy policy), besides which it's just a waste of space to have discussions happening in so many different places unless there's a reason for them.

So this thread is kind of intended to "fill the gaps," so to speak. It's not meant to replace existing topics, so if there's already a thread for it, by all means use that. However, if the show is old or doesn't warrant creating a new topic, then this is a good place to dump any reviews, opinions, recommendations, or just general discussion on whatever you've been watching. Oh, but no movies, we already have a place for that. And try not to spam the place up too bad, you scamps. Ta.

To start things off (spoiler tags not necessary, just trying to cut down on the wordage):

Just watched through Clone High, finally. Now I may be blind, but WHY WAS THIS NEVER RENEWED? WHY?!

Also six episodes into Black Lagoon.

What a piece of shit.

Action sucks, characters suck, plot sucks. The animation is decent until things actually start happening, then it's just bland. It's like they tried too hard to make it super-abrasive with the violence and swearing, but then forgot to put the characters in any kind of dangerous or suspenseful situations. Or at least you wouldn't know it to watch it, because apparently one's survivability in this show is directly proportionate to how stoic and badass they act.

WHY DID THEY EVEN HIRE ROCK? WHY?! Seriously tell me, he's ****ing useless as shit.

You know? I'm not actively watching anything right now. Hunh.

Of Clone High,

Ratings, Scrubs, or the Ghandi controversy. Take your pick.

I watched through Green Wing again. I really really love that show man, it's great. It produces a warm, confused feeling in my head, which is quite comforting. I love you, Sue White.

I'd like to see more, but I think that it's smart of them (and of all the other producers who do this) to leave it alone.

Soon to be watching the new 24 and Lost :D

Also currently watching Blackadder.

Waiting for the new episodes of House to start up again.
Rewatching peep show.
Also considering watching x-files and six feet under cos I've never seen them before

Not really watching anything at the moment. Last thing I seriously followed was Avatar. Thinking of getting and watching Batman: The Animated Series, Batman of the Future Justice League and Justice League Unlimited.

Homicide: Life on the Street season one - Fantastically gritty and bleak drama focusing on the Baltimore city Homicide unit as they go from day to day struggling against the onslaught of an increasing death rate in one of the murder capitals of the US. If you've read Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon you'll recognise a few of the cases and happenings that are taken from his real life encounters as a fly on the wall with the unit. Because of this it's just as brilliantly realistic as The Wire, except this show focuses more on individual homicide cases then it does one specific drug crew and the bodies they drop.

Arrested Development season one - Damn funny show that reminds me quite alot of Curb Your Enthusiasm but I'm not complaining. Wonderfull selection of cast and some great writing that never fails to make me laugh. Not as funny as I thought it would be, mind (nor was Curb), but still excellent.

Beavis & Butthead volume 2, Mike Judge collection - Rip-roaringly hilarious at every turn. I've not watched many yet because of the above two shows, but inbetween them... christ, this show makes me sides hurt. So ridiculous in every aspect that it's genius.

I still watch House even though I'm not big into the show. The medical mystery part has been boring for a while, but House himself is such an intriguing character that it's enough to keep me tuning in.

I also keep up on NCIS which is one of my favourite shows ever. Great cast, great writing, I'm a big fan. I'm catching back episodes of Scrubs waiting for the new season to start. Likewise with Battlestar Galactica. Sons of Anarchy and Reaper both had amazing first seasons and I can't wait for the second.

I think the next show that I watch from start to finish will be Babylon 5 which I do about once every year. And, of course, I always tune into American Dad and South Park.

[EDIT] And I ****ing love Dexter.

Up to episode 10 (of 12) of Black Lagoon. Oh god it's like watching a train wreck, I can't stop looking. Some more observations:

For a show about gunfights it has some of the worst gunfights I've ever seen. Not even animation-wise, but just the uhh... choreography... of it (I hesitate to even call it that). I wanted to punch Revi in the ****ing throat when she got all sour about taking a hit from the maid chick. OH MY GOD SHE HIT ME. HOW DID SHE HIT ME. HOW? I'M REVI ****ING TWO-HANDS, I STAND IN WIDE OPEN SPACES IN GUN FIGHTS AND RUN DIRECTLY INTO OPEN FIRE. HOW.

Oh, and re: the maid - Goddamnit, Japan. Goddamnit.

Nothing atm, but looking forward to new seasons of Dexter, Lost and Californication.

Rewatching Lost dvds in time for season 5, basicly waiting for everything to start again soon.

Nothing atm, but looking forward to new seasons of Dexter, Lost .

Fixed for me. Except I'm waiting for season 3 of Dexter on DVDs.

And I'm watching the Colbert Report of course.

Until now I've been watching House, Fringe, Stargate Atlantis and The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Stargate Atlantis just ended. I've completely lost interest in Fringe, with House and The Sarah Connor Chronicles soon to follow. So for now I'm watching NOTHING.

Started watching Dexter because Operational was like PlEaSe wAtCh iT!1! so I did, and I loved it. Watched Season 1 Episode 7 yesterday.

Currently going thru battlestar galactica and I'm liking it quite a bit. Also trying to watch weeds but I've only made it thru 2 episodes and it isn't doing much for me. For a show about a drug dealer it sure does feel like I'm watching full house.

I've just finished watching all 5 series of shameless, and all 5 of peep show (i understand most of you yanks probably have no clue what i'm on about!).

Over the last few days i've been watching the royal institute christmas lectures, as i have since i was a boy, and im looking into getting previous years as i find them fascinating.

Nothing unfortunately. I'm sort of drifting between shows trying to find something really captivating.

Oh well things are coming back
Daily Show 4 days
Scrubs 4 days
30 Rock 6 days
Battlestar Galactica 14 days
Lost 19 days

Started watching Dexter because Operational was like PlEaSe wAtCh iT!1! so I did
Oh Tav, you know you love it when I come to you all whiney and pleading.

Aww... yeah I love it

You should do that more often babe :D

I'm currently watching 30Rock because it is awesome.

Up yours BadHat.

I would be watching The Office, if they weren't being gay and not making any ****ing episodes.

Hustle series 2. Got the complete series for Christmas off my Grandma. Will be watching more of Torchwood series 2 later, though.

I'll be starting up Netflix again once I have a steady source of income, so for shows on TV and that I have on DVD I'm watching...

Star Wars The Clone Wars(TV), really fun show... **** the haters.
Boston Legal! :D(TV)
Star Trek TNG(huge marathon was just on a few days ago, recorded them all on tivo.)
Going to be starting up Stargate SG-1 again, I bought season 5 right before I moved and haven't had a chance to check it out.

That's it really, can't find much to watch on TV atm.

The Secret Saturdays. It's like Johnny Quest mixed with a family that fights/protects ****ING MOTHMAN AND DRAGONS AND DINOSAURS AND ANCIENT ATLANTEANESQUE CIVILIZATIONS AND LOCH NESS MONSTER AND BIG FOOT AND A KOMODO DRAGON NAMED KOMODO WHO CAN TURN INVISIBLE AND A GORILLACAT NAMED FISKERTON AND ****ING MONSTERS GFDHFDJK.

Currenly, John Adams is making a run on Channel 4 on saturdays, and I missed it the first time on More4. It's super-good. I keep wanting shows like this to happen, complex plotty historical drama with the history both realistic and funny. I also just like the whole atmosphere of revolutionary America, the musket battles and thick snow.

Last episode was 2, in which the Colonies declare independence. It's hilarious how every other line said by Ben Frankling is a famous quote from the real Ben Franklin.

I also downloaded an anime series, Rose of Versailles. I've watched the first two episodes and sort of enjoyed them. I've missed anime; I've missed the ridiculous music and title sequences. Does anyone know if the whole series is worth watching? I only downloaded it because it has Robespierre in it.

Like others in the thread, I'm trying to catch 30 Rock whenever I see that it's on.

I still watch House even though I'm not big into the show. The medical mystery part has been boring for a while, but House himself is such an intriguing character that it's enough to keep me tuning in.
Well, let's be honest, who ever cared about the medical stuff anyway? Certainly not me; that was just an interesting sideline as the main show of House insulting everybody and being awesome got underway.

I watch House and pretty much nothing else, mainly because Hugh isn't in other things. Oh, apart from Blackadder. And 'A Bit of Fry & Laurie'.

My friend suggested i watch Dexter, but i already waste enough time as it is.

^^^ this ...also the Batman and Clone Wars animated series

didnt like Spiderman at first, the art style is a little odd but I got used to it ..it's fairly well written for a superhero cartoon

my son loves all three, his current fave is SW Clone wars

didnt like Spiderman at first, the art style is a little odd but I got used to it ..it's fairly well written for a superhero cartoon

Which spiderman are you referring to? Samon and I are watching the one from the 90's, which is pretty amazing.

Well, let's be honest, who ever cared about the medical stuff anyway? Certainly not me; that was just an interesting sideline as the main show of House insulting everybody and being awesome got underway.

I did. I like medical stuff. I almost went into medicine. </random tangent>

hmmm from what I remember it was kinda crappy ..the 90's version but I havent watched it in a long time ..the 70's spiderman is still the best of the spiderman tv series ..mostly for the camp/psychedelic factor than anything else

Back