The Witcher: Enhanced Edition for....

Warped

Reaction score
.....$27.99! http://store.steampowered.com/app/20900/
Buy The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut was $39.99 now $27.99

Save 30% until August 12th

header.jpg

About the Game

Experience the PC RPG of the Year (PC Gamer, GameSpy, IGN) as the developers intended in The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut, with mature content not previously available to North American gamers.

ABOUT THE WITCHER: ENHANCED EDITION

The RPG of the Year is back - in a Premium Edition packed with powerful extras! Assume the role of The Witcher, Geralt, a legendary monster slayer caught in a web of intrigue as he battles forces vying for control of the world! Make difficult decisions and live with the consequences in a game that will immerse you in an extraordinary tale like no other!

Representing the pinnacle of storytelling in role-playing games, The Witcher shatters the line between good and evil in a world where moral ambiguity reigns. The Witcher emphasizes story and character development in a vibrant world while incorporating tactically-deep real-time combat like no game before it.

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition takes all of the acclaimed gameplay that garnered the original game more than 90 awards, and perfects it with a number of gameplay and technical improvements.

* Superior dialogue and cutscenes - The developers have re-recorded and rewritten more than 5000 lines of dialogue in English and redone the entire German edition to create more a more consistent experience, while adding more than 200 gesture animations to make characters behave more believably in dialogue and cutscenes.
* Enhanced inventory - The new inventory system makes item use and organization less complicated by introducing a separate sack for any alchemical ingredients, as well as a simple sort-and-stack function. Spend less time managing your inventory and more time playing the game.
* Technical improvements - The enhancements made to the technical side of the game are too numerous to list, but a few of the highlights include greatly reduced loading times, greater stability, improved combat responsiveness, faster inventory loading, the option to turn autosave on or off, and more.
* Character differentiation system - To add more variety to NPC and monster appearances, we've added a new character differentiation system that randomizes the appearance and colors of dozens of in-game models.
* The Package - The Witcher: Enhanced Edition is more than just a better version of last year's RPG of the Year. The premium packaging would usually infer some sort of Collector's Edition... but at the price of a regular game, it's simply a great value. In your download you'll also get: Multilingual game disc, D'jinni Adventure Editor, Two new adventures offering 5+ hours of gameplay, Official Soundtrack, Music Inspired by The Witcher album, Making-of videos, Official game guide, Map of The Witcher's world

Key features:

* Geralt of Rivia: a one-of-a-kind protagonist
o A charismatic and unique character, Geralt is a mutant swordmaster and professional monster slayer.
o Choose from over 250 special abilities correlated to attributes, combat skills and magical powers to build the character in a way best suited to tactical needs and style of play.
* Original fantasy world drawn from literature
o Inspired by the writings of renowned Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski.
o Featuring adult themes, less fairy-tale than typical fantasy, with mature social issues like racism, political intrigue and genocide.
o It is a harsh world where nothing is black or white, right or wrong, often forcing players to choose between the lesser of two evils to advance.
* Non-linear and captivating storyline
o Full of turns, twists and ambiguous moral decisions which have real impact on the storyline.
o All quests can be accomplished in several ways and the game has three different endings depending on the player's actions and choices throughout the adventure.
* Visually stunning tactical action
o Engage in complex yet intuitive real-time combat based on real medieval sword-fighting techniques.
o Motion capture performed by medieval fighting experts at Frankfurt's renowned Metric.
o Motion capture performed by medieval fighting experts at Frankfurt's renowned Metric Minds studio, resulting in 600 spectacular and authentic in-game combat animations.
o Six combat styles, dozens of potions, complex alchemy system, modifiable weapons and powerful magic add tactical depth to the fluid real-time experience.

System Requirements

Minimum:
o Supported OS: Microsoft® Windows® /XP/Vista
o DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (included) or higher
o Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz or Athlon 64 +2800 (Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 +3000 recommended). Athlon XP series, such as the Athlon XP +2400, is not supported
o Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon 9800 or better (NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX or ATI Radeon X1950 XT or better recommended)
o Memory: 1 GB RAM (2 GB RAM recommended)
o Sound: DirectX version 9.0c-compatible sound card
o Hard Drive: 8.5 GB Free

I've been waiting for a price drop but now its looks like a good price. shall download tomorrow

I'm tempted. I already beat the first one, but I could go for another round with the new stuff.

last rpg i played was STALKER....i dunno....i'd love it if more FPS' came out like HL2 and STALKER. something with substance.

I've had friends that say this game is amazing, so i just bought it but I'll download it later in the summer when i have more time.

Witcher is a very good game. It's Certainly worth buying.

Hmm, debating if I should pick this one up or not. There's been a severe lack of good RPGs in my life lately--yet the alchemy system and repetitiveness of combat really turned me off. It's probably worth it at this price, especially with all the tweaks, additions and optimizations apparently made since launch.

They really proved themselves a worthwhile developer when they so thoroughly remedied the launch fiasco with the free enhanced edition update to customers who bought standard copies. What do hl2.netters think of The Witcher?

Aw god dammit. My mum just got the normal one. Balls.

It's free to patch up to the enhanced edition, afaik. You just need your CD key.

I think it's an awesome game. You've probably seen me going on about it loads of times in the gaming section. It's a very well built RPG with an excellent story with real choices with have deep consequences. It's one of the best RPG's i've played and i preferred it to Mass Effect.

@13LACKBISHOP: Go to CD projects site and get the enhanced patch. Also the latest patch removes all DRM from the retail version which is great.

I LOVE the enhanced edition. What an awesomely deep game. One of my recent favs.

Hmm, debating if I should pick this one up or not. There's been a severe lack of good RPGs in my life lately--yet the alchemy system and repetitiveness of combat really turned me off. It's probably worth it at this price, especially with all the tweaks, additions and optimizations apparently made since launch.

They really proved themselves a worthwhile developer when they so thoroughly remedied the launch fiasco with the free enhanced edition update to customers who bought standard copies. What do hl2.netters think of The Witcher?
How far did you play, BHC? Are you talking about your experience with the demo?

I never played the demo myself, but the consensus of most people who've tried it and then gone on to play the full game is that it isn't a great showcase of The Witcher's strong points.

I too was pretty underwhelmed at first by the prologue chapter in the Witchers' stronghold, finding the combat fiddly. I was pulled in a bit by the first choice you have to make - not sure if that's in the demo - but was soon thrown off again by a very jarring transition into the first real chapter, which left me wondering what the hell was going on and whether I might have missed a cut-scene (I hadn't).

From there on, however, it just kept on improving. I started to become engrossed by the atmosphere and aesthetic of the world, and I got accustomed to the game mechanics I had felt so dubious towards in the beginning. Pretty soon I was facing a couple of the vaunted 'moral choices' in the denouement to Chapter 1, and I was hooked.

I finished that play through a good while ago now. By this point - mid way through my second playthrough - I now see the things which you disliked (alchemy and combat) as quite enjoyable elements of the game. I understand that the improved inventory is supposed to have made all the difference to the alchemy system, although having not experienced the original inventory I can't vouch for that. As for the combat, once you're lopping off enemies' heads with your Group style combos, stunning people in order to perform fatalities, and blinding enemies with your Yrden trap sigil, then you start to look forward to the next fight with more and more anticipation.

If anything I think The Witcher plays somewhat like a JRPG. You have a very linear course and physically quite uninteractive gameworld. You have very little control over what your character says until it comes to branching points in the plot. The 'character' elements of this RPG - that is to say, your stats - mostly only affect combat, never dialogue. However, the atmosphere is so far removed from that kind of game in terms of its grimness and 'mature' focus that you would probably never be put in mind of that comparison. I mean take a look at this character design:
150px-People_Midday_bride_full.png
That is just grim as shit - obviously couldn't be any further removed from a JRPG aesthetic. The writing, most importantly, is so strong that you certainly don't feel like you're playing any kind of plasticky disposable game.

It's a flawed game in a number of ways. It's still got a few buggy wrinkles, particularly in one sprawling side-quest which has so many intertwining threads that it's almost inevitable the game will get mixed up over where you're supposed to be in the story (not a showstopping bug afaik). The dialogue system, as mentioned, is somewhat primitive. The sophisticated aesthetic that the game aspires towards is sometimes set back by a kind of pervasive hamminess which arises from bad cut scenes, slightly wooden character models (although they are much improved in the EE) and comedy lewdness. I also found the english language voicing pretty bad, so quickly switched to the original Polish w/subs (another nice addition to the EE) and that was much better.

However, if you manage to get into it like I did and most other players appear to have done, you would easily forgive it for those flaws. The strength of the underlying soul of the game makes such drawbacks seem insignificant overall (although the idea of a heavily refined sequel is definitely appetising). The game world is immersive and believable, and the characters sympathetic - Geralt in particular just oozes badassiousness. You always feel compelled to talk to the next key NPC or see the next big plot development. In terms of the action, it's particularly satisfying to carve your way through a big fight having used just the right cocktail of homebrewed potions for the situation. It's also a gorgeous looking game.

I think that sums up my thoughts. Hope it helps with the decision.

I think it's an awesome game. You've probably seen me going on about it loads of times in the gaming section. It's a very well built RPG with an excellent story with real choices with have deep consequences. It's one of the best RPG's i've played and i preferred it to Mass Effect.

@13LACKBISHOP: Go to CD projects site and get the enhanced patch. Also the latest patch removes all DRM from the retail version which is great.

Thanks. I hate DRM.

heres a question for those steam savvy folks. the witcher i just bought on steam, is the DLC separate or included with the download and if so what other add ons make the game even better?? and are those add ons downloadable through steam or just the mod sites??

I love this game. I was doing really well until I had to format due to a self inflicted virus, now I can't be arsed doing it all again to get to the same place.

heres a question for those steam savvy folks. the witcher i just bought on steam, is the DLC separate or included with the download and if so what other add ons make the game even better?? and are those add ons downloadable through steam or just the mod sites??

The Steam version is the complete version with all the additional missions.

How far did you play, BHC? Are you talking about your experience with the demo?
*snip*

Thanks for the excellent post/review, I think you've convinced me. It does me that you compare it to JRPGs, as I loathe almost every JRPG released since my childhood, but I think it strays far enough from a lot of those traps to remain a great example of a 'PC RPG'. It's great that I can use Polish voicing with subs now and that the inventory isn't the same bullshit mess--that's a huge relief. Also, yeah, I only played through the demo, and it was the earliest demo available and entirely buggy and unoptimized, the loading times alone kept me from a purchase.

Hmm, I still haven't played this. The fact that until recently I had a single-core PC was a factor, but for some reason gameplay videos did not amaze me as well.

I enjoyed the books, but read them as a kid (was about 14-15 I guess) and don't remember much.

The value/price ratio seems outstanding tbh, especially here, where AFAIK it's even slightly cheaper than what you're getting now for quite some time now.

Thanks for the excellent post/review, I think you've convinced me. It does me that you compare it to JRPGs, as I loathe almost every JRPG released since my childhood, but I think it strays far enough from a lot of those traps to remain a great example of a 'PC RPG'. It's great that I can use Polish voicing with subs now and that the inventory isn't the same bullshit mess--that's a huge relief. Also, yeah, I only played through the demo, and it was the earliest demo available and entirely buggy and unoptimized, the loading times alone kept me from a purchase.
I was hesitant to use the JRPG comparison because as far as I know I'm the only person to ever make it, but it's easiest way I can think of to sum up the level of freedom you're given within the game world. It's a strained comparison because The Witcher certainly doesn't look, feel, sound or taste anything like any JRPG, but the way you're coaxed through a highly structured story, in a linear (but attractive and engrossing) world, has fewer parallels with western classic 'PCRPG's than it does with japaneezers IMO. However I don't think this a comparison that needs to be feared - or even acknowledged, really - by anyone who hates JRPGs. It was more a comment on the narrative methodology of the game.

Certainly the way I felt after I completed it was that I just played the best PCRPG in a good while.

And yeah the loading times are very unintrusive now. However bad they were before, I don't know...

They were BAD. Like 2-5 mins bad. I'd get up to get a drink/snack/piss/fap/whatever whenever I had a load a new area. I remember them being significantly shorter after the EE update though.

There are a few sex 'scenes' although they are about as explicit as you'd find in an afternoon soap opera. Then you get a little playing card featuring the woman you shagged, with her knockers out. No, I don't understand it either.

I have been convinced by quite a few people never to play this. After hearing about the combat I was done.

I have been convinced by quite a few people never to play this. After hearing about the combat I was done.

You are missing out. The combat does seem as bit crap at the beginning and i can see why people who have played the demo thought it was shit. The Combat does get better and more challenging. The use of Alchemy is vital to success and the boss battles and even some group battles are a real challenge. You learn some really cool moves and new and interesting spells that make the later battles awesome.

Tbh if you compare the combat in The Witcher to other PCRPGs you have - pretty fine combat. Sure it's just point and click, but what do you expect? I think some of the people coming to The Witcher and leaving disappointed may have been expecting more of a 3rd-person action/adventure game, due to the camera perspective.

You are missing out. The combat does seem as bit crap at the beginning and i can see why people who have played the demo thought it was shit. The Combat does get better and more challenging. The use of Alchemy is vital to success and the boss battles and even some group battles are a real challenge. You learn some really cool moves and new and interesting spells that make the later battles awesome.

Seconded. Great game and battering the crap out of your opponents using combo attacks is never a bad thing. Plus its hands down the best RPG of the last 5 years.

The combat pretty much put me off of continuing the game.
Got to the caves under the wall at the first city, tried fighting those plant monster things and it was such a chore.

The quick-time event-esque combat system is too damn annoying for me to deal with.

I do really like the lore and stuff though and the alchemy system showed promise... it's just that the game is so combat heavy that I can't be bothered if the combat isn't fun for me.

If it played like a game like Oblivion or the Gothic series, it'd be much more playable to me.
The combat really doesn't fit the over the shoulder viewpoint you mainly play from.

I wouldn't liken the combat to quicktime events, personally... Describing the combat in QTE terms: the 'event' always occurs at the same time (at the end of a combo string), the event button is always the attack button, the game is very flexible with the permitted timing, and you're not really penalised if you miss or choose not to respond to the 'event' (you just start again or blast the enemy with some magic).

It's more reminiscent of the point-and-click based attack system of PCRPGs in general. It's just that CDProjekt have tried to inject an element of skill/timing-based combo building into that system. I think it works pretty well as long as you get accustomed to it and realise why it is the way it is. Unlike an action game, your attacks don't have much to do with player input - which is totally standard for many RPGs; you command your char to do something with a hotkey/mouseclick/menu option, and he just does it - but it's also unlike other RPGs in that it doesn't reward frantically clicking in order to attack an enemy.

Back