Theories in Portal. (SPOILERS!)

Rixil

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i just completed this brilliant game portal. I loved it and the whole game is packed with confusing areas.

I have developed theories for this game, and might be a spoiler for those who haven't played or finished the story.

Japan Theory.

Chell, you can clearly see her looking into your portal if you set it right, she has that asian look. Now just because she is asian doesn't mean shes from an asian country. However throught the game, the rusted up back areas and architect of the building (Especially the rest room) have that Anime style to it. If you have watched shows like Ghost in the shell or metropolis you will see the resemblance. That show and movie is both japanese anime.

Also, the androids have the whole humor, but dangerous thing, a anime trait. Don't take me as a racist, because i'm merely going by observation of the enviroment. A lot of Japanese architects have ideas like white hallways with shining walls.

So does anyone here think that? I think so. It would be cool to see some asians in the half-life series, that would make more sense.

I think Portal should be confirmed as part of the Half-life series, just another protagonist obviously not involved in the same plot as Half-life, but might be crucial to something. Remember in part of chapter 19, you see a conference room with a projector showing a comparison chart with black mesa. So i think Portal takes place with Half-life 1/2.

I also think the reason there are no other humans in aperture is because either GLaDOS killed them all from corruption, or when they went home the night before the incident from black mesa, and when they woke up the next day the combine landed in japan as well as the rest of the earth enslaving humanity. Chell in the meantime was put into her "bed" to sleep overnight in the aperture science lab explaining the high tech bed with the readings on it. She probably is sleeping overnight because they need to do some sort of test on her brain maybe? I think this Aperture facility is underground and hard for the combine to find.

When the Aperture team died out or stranded from the combine, maybe GLaDOS tried it's best to guide Chell through training, but without the assistance of Aperture crew it malfunctioned setting up chell with a death trap that she would eventually avoid.

So, what do you people think?

Ew, keep anime out of Portal, please. It sounds like you're trying to shoehorn Japan into the storyline arbitrarily.

Aperture Science appears to have a Macintosh-ish design actually.

Yeah, Portal does not take place in Japan.

Also, Portal DOES take place in the HL2 universe...if you have Episode 2, you would see that later on...

Also, based on my real-life observations, I would like to surmise that Aperture Science was actually based on the Frankfurt International Airport. What with all those signs with stick figures running towards a door.

Seriously? Have you never seen a wet floor sign?

Yes. I was going to say, wet floor signs are my other theory of what Portal was based on.

I hope she's not from Tokio, becouse "The device is now more valuable than the organs and combined incomes of everyone in {SUBJECT HOMETOWN HERE}"... O SHI!

She looks more Bosnian than Japanese.

Back