Consider the continuous sinx/x
Take limit x>0

lim (sinx/x) = (lim sinx) / (lim x)

L.H.S. by L'Hospital rule,
R.H.S. by assumption 0/0 = 1

lim (cosx)/(1) = 0/0

1 = 0

cool, baby.

WOULD YOU BE SURPRISED IF I TOLD YOU I WAS IN THE 7TH GRADE?!

The_Constipated_Man_by_sad_machine.jpg

lol hay guys my teacher told me something that i think is cool let me go to my forum and preach it like i know what im talking about.

Get your head out of your ass before posting, please.

My teacher did not say anything about this. She is an obese whale of a woman.

Get your head out of your ass before posting, please.

My teacher did not say anything about this. She is an obese whale of a woman.

What does her obesity have to do with anything? You must hate the woman. :LOL:

Anything divided by 0 is infinity.

"How many times can nothing go into 1? 2? 3?"

divide anything by zero and you get infinity IMO. I haven't read most of this thread

if you divide 0 by 0, you get

exploding_head.jpg

im not sure if its infinity or zero

I change my statement because I refuse to have the same opinion as that guy.

Lets try from a more practical POV

Lets say Chell finally got the cake she was promised.But , WCC wants it too.She does not want to share it though so she burns him.That way she wouldn't have to divide the cake in 2 halves but 0 so she gets all the cake for her self , meaning

1:0=...wait...

Aw , **** nevermind...

Just think of it this way:

If "0 / 0 = 1," then why the **** do computers mess up when anything else is divided by zero?

People of HL2.net: You must pass calculus 101 before you are allowed to talk about maths. Otherwise, shut the **** up.

you needed calculus 101 to figure out that 0/0 does not equal 1?

someone is a little slow today

But what if it's divided by a non-numerical value, such as zero?

Any value divided by itself is one. Or so says basic math.

Zero doesn't have a value. Nothing divided, multiplied, added, or subtracted by nothing is still nothing. You can't add value to a number with no value by using another number with no value.

Your theory is pretty cool though.

Think about it, if you take nothing and cut it, you don't suddenly have something. This makes no sense.

However, if I take one big piece of pie and cut it, I have 2 pieces of pie now. Get the point?

you needed calculus 101 to figure out that 0/0 does not equal 1?

someone is a little slow today
Sigh.

1) Most learning institutions, afaik, don't actually explain why it doesn't work until later years. And if you read the other posts directly preceding mine you'd see that people were trying to get fancy by bringing in limits.

2) Today? Today is Sunday the 29th. At least I think it's Sunday. You never know with these kinds of divisions by zero. Anything can happen.

learn2troll

Sigh.

1) Most learning institutions, afaik, don't actually explain why it doesn't work until later years. And if you read the other posts directly preceding mine you'd see that people were trying to get fancy by bringing in limits.

learn2troll

im sorry but you cant figure this out in maybe 8th grade. its logical that 12/12= 1 that makes sense!
0/0= 1? this doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

its logical that 12/12= 1 that makes sense!
0/0= 1? this doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
Your lack of actual explanation so far demonstrates you still don't understand why it's an indeterminate form.

im sorry but you cant figure this out in maybe 8th grade.
I'm glad your supposed mathematical enlightenment occured at such an early age. It's too bad lightning didn't strike your grasp of English as well.

Sure, but the way users (Raz, bbson) were using them suggests they don't understand how limits work, hence the calculus comment.

Pro tip: Do not discuss math, science or religion unless you have a degree.

get your head out of your ass before posting, please.

THE IRONY IS GORGEOUS.

Seriously, the answer to this can be easily found on wikipedia, and you guys are still arguing over it?

And I still /facepalm at jverne's post and dialogue with Leon on the front page. It makes me cry.

Edit: The answer has already been posted multiple times. I don't see what's so ****ing hard about it.

If you divided nothing by nothing you get something

Obviously something is wrong here Mr Math. I wrote that theory you suggested but my dad went all IF YOU DIVIDE NOTHING BY NOTHING YOU GET SOMETING?

If you divided nothing by nothing you get something

Obviously something is wrong here Mr Math. I wrote that theory you suggested but my dad went all IF YOU DIVIDE NOTHING BY NOTHING YOU GET SOMETING?

Seriously, the answer to this can be easily found on wikipedia, and you guys are still arguing over it?

And I still /facepalm at jverne's post and dialogue with Leon on the front page. It makes me cry.

Edit: The answer has already been posted multiple times. I don't see what's so ****ing hard about it.

I think I'm going to have to agree with Danimal here.

Hey hey! How about this crazyness to throw in the pile of the 0/0 debate.

So I was doing a bit of laser diffraction the other day and well the theoretical equation for a single slit (or multiple slits for that matter) depends on a I(0)*sinc^2(pi*sin(x)/wavelength) function!

So I was all like "Hey demonstrator, won't this be zero divided by zero? lolz" And she was all like "Omgz". But then we put it in easy plot and no worries it was all okay and stuff, we got an incrediblely accurate theoretical representation of the real life data! So what I'm saying is how is this explainededed?!

:O

I did find it a little odd actually, but then again its probably all fixed due to limit or I(0) or something :<

There are many reasons why x/0 is undefined.

The most basic one I can think of is:

One of the most fundamental units of algebra is the group. A group is a set of numbers and an operator. A group has three properties:

1. A group contains an identity element (ie e*x=x for all e, x, in the group, e is the identity)

2. A group is associative (x*(y*z)=(x*y)*z)

3. A group has well-defined inverses. (x*x^-1=e)

What we call "division" is in fact just the operation of multiplication, exploiting the use of inverses. Division is just multiplication by the inverse. This is why when you "divide" a number by itself, you get 1, the identity of the reals.

However, zero is fundamentally NOT in the group (Reals, multiplication). Here is why:

Consider proposition 3. Let x=0.

Then 0*(z)=1 for some z, a real number.

But this is a contradiction! There is no real number such that 0*z=1, because zero times anything is zero. In fact, zero times any element of ANY set is zero. Therefore, 0^-1 does not exist, and therefore, 0/0 is undefined, because 0^-1 does not exist in ANY mathematical set, let alone the reals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back