This is Eve Online.

Eve is a sad excuse for a space game.

Gotta love space "battles" that involve clicking a single button and watching your ships sit still and shoot a couple of rounds at each other, or "mining" that involves firing a laser beam at a rock for long tedious hours, or "training" that involves watching a progress bar for ****ING DAYS.

Forget MMO's.

Pick up a real space combat sim like Freelancer, or even an RTS like Homeworld. Hell, even Freespace is better than this shit.

Eve is a sad excuse for a space game.

Gotta love space "battles" that involve clicking a single button and watching your ships sit still and shoot a couple of rounds at each other, or "mining" that involves firing a laser beam at a rock for long tedious hours, or "training" that involves watching a progress bar for ****ING DAYS.

Forget MMO's.

Pick up a real space combat sim like Freelancer, or even an RTS like Homeworld. Hell, even Freespace is better than this shit.

you're right. BUT!! "even Freespace is better than this shit." (i presume that means also Freespace 2) so you just said that one of the most acclaimed space sim ever made is "even Freespace better than that shit"? (literally it is correct, but the way you said it makes it sound negative)

You guys want some insane Star Wars game where it's simple and things blow up, etc. The Eve crowd is a lot more older and expect a game where it's more strategic. If you want a dumb game, go for WOW.

One big problem with EVE is that everything looks more exciting and interactive than it actually is.

Bought X3 Terran Conflict instead, havent regretted it for a second :D

One big problem with EVE is that everything looks more exciting and interactive than it actually is.

Bought X3 Terran Conflict instead, havent regretted it for a second :D

It first looks like that, but then dosnt seem it when you first play... but then it really is that interactive.

Once you start getting the basics down and get an understanding of ship models, markets, industry and trade it does become as interactive as it first looks.

Its great when you find a gap in a market, I ended up moving t2 ships to another market hub and was making 20mil a pop. I also often trade cyno field genorators (this make badass warp hole type things for jumping capital ships) out in 0.0 space. If you have a capital ship you need one on a smaller ship to open the jump hole. These little ships are always dieing so they sell well. I was making a 400% profit on these.

You also soon relise how versitile ships are and the amount of different possible mods and upgrades you can put on them. There are thousands of ways to fit each ship some dont work at all and others can be unstoppable, trying to figure out the best combo can be really rewarding.

In eve tho you need to make friends, playing on your own is not a good representation of what the game is, when you have the same focused goal as your friends the game really gets good. Be it finding good mining fields, or having massive wars over resorces and territory... once you find the part of the game you like you will really enjoy it.

Thanks for the reply Stormy.

I guess I didnt explain myself very well, though you do have a point. The depth in that game appears to be enormous, and as you said with so many niches to fill you can find exactly what is right for you, making it fun.

What I meant to say when I was referring to "interactive" is that the ship movement and combat is not twitch based. I know, some people jump to the conclusion that twitch shooting is for those who arent patient enough, but I really think it makes the game more immersive. X3 allowed the player to directly control the guns, so when you combine manual flight patterns, laser trajectory, missle selection and launches, and wingman controls, dogfighting becomes a daunting but rewarding challenge.

Most of the things you mentioned (at least if I understand properly) were available in X3 as well (ie. dynamic economy, very large number of upgrades, weapons, shields, command software that allowed for deep customization). However, I think the last point made is what broke the deal for me. As awesome as it sounds to play with large numbers of other players, I've always been cynical about relying on others for the fun factor in a game. In X3, I can do whatever the hell I want and not worry about upsetting other players or being bothered by them.

Eve looks cool and all, but when I'm floating around in my corner of space doing whatever is in the game, I'm probably going to inspect a bunch of smaller ships prodding at my side going "money plz".

I tried the trial aaaaages ago, and after killing countless, countless pirates, the key to some gate never dropped.

For 7 ****ing days.

Nice, you got the old avatar back.

I thought your new one was a pile of salt before Emporius informed me that it was Patrick.

Eve looks cool and all, but when I'm floating around in my corner of space doing whatever is in the game, I'm probably going to inspect a bunch of smaller ships prodding at my side going "money plz".

I tried the trial aaaaages ago, and after killing countless, countless pirates, the key to some gate never dropped.

For 7 ****ing days.

Your avatar does not move anymore :(

I've always been cynical about relying on others for the fun factor in a game. In X3, I can do whatever the hell I want and not worry about upsetting other players or being bothered by them.

Yea thats fair enough, but with so many active users there are bound to be some people you hit it off with and it just depends on who you play with.

Some alliances/corps want you on at particular times others, like the one I'm in are a lot more layed back, there is generly some kind of op every night around 8, if your online you can join and we just go out and have fun. If it was much more forced I wouldnt be intrested and would find some where else.

Once you start to pvp tho you soon relise how much there is to it, on the surface it looks like your just clicking shoot but wile that is happening there is so much to mange. Your Flight Commander (FC) will be shouting targets, ie which of the enemy are keeping the enemy fleet together? Are there logistics reparing more then you can damage? If they are take down the logistics, if not keep shooting damage dealers. You got your small ships trying to get tackels on ships to try and stop them getting away, you got to keep the correct range for your weapons and make sure you have enough energy to keep your reps going or to get away if all of a sudden another 30 bad guys enter the system.

If you do manage to get away then your on the run, and its quite a rush having 40 odd people trying to chase you down and your hoping, praying and nearly falling off your seat hoping your ship can hit warp befor some little bugger gets a lock on your ass.

You go out as part of a fleet and not an individual, the FC will say what speed and range he wants from ships and you go from there. He might want quick short range or quick long range, or a few electronic warfare and once your out there you need to follow orders and hope your fc knows what he is doing :p

It's serios fun, its just finding some good people and getting involved.

It first looks like that, but then dosnt seem it when you first play... but then it really is that interactive.

Once you start getting the basics down and get an understanding of ship models, markets, industry and trade it does become as interactive as it first looks.

Its great when you find a gap in a market, I ended up moving t2 ships to another market hub and was making 20mil a pop. I also often trade cyno field genorators (this make badass warp hole type things for jumping capital ships) out in 0.0 space. If you have a capital ship you need one on a smaller ship to open the jump hole. These little ships are always dieing so they sell well. I was making a 400% profit on these.

You also soon relise how versitile ships are and the amount of different possible mods and upgrades you can put on them. There are thousands of ways to fit each ship some dont work at all and others can be unstoppable, trying to figure out the best combo can be really rewarding.

In eve tho you need to make friends, playing on your own is not a good representation of what the game is, when you have the same focused goal as your friends the game really gets good. Be it finding good mining fields, or having massive wars over resorces and territory... once you find the part of the game you like you will really enjoy it.

sure, but from what i could see, the mining part could be made more interesting and in depth. shooting a laser in a rock for countless hours is really boring.

No one forces you to mine :p

There is plenty of other stuff to do. Run missions, trade, run plexs, find a good corp and above all else PVP.

You guys want some insane Star Wars game where it's simple and things blow up, etc. The Eve crowd is a lot more older and expect a game where it's more strategic. If you want a dumb game, go for WOW.

i should kill you.
i wont cause im a nice guy though

Back