This may sound crazy...

Neo

Reaction score
but I just discovered Valve in the past 6 months or so. I don't really game that much, but one day I was sitting around bored and decided to check out Portal because I heard it was really unique and exciting. I was completely blown away. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a used copy of The Orange Box for $15, and all I can say is WOW! Half Life 2 is amazing. I haven't gotten around to trying Team Fortress yet, but what I've seen of HL2 has blown my mind. I can't believe this game has been out since 2004 and I'd never heard of it. I am actually going to download HL1 on Steam so that I can play it after I finish HL2. Anyway, I'm now obsessed and am looking to learn more about these games. Hopefully I've come to the right place...

Yes, you have come to the right place.

Mr. Anderson.

I'm quite a slow-poke as well seeing as I discovered Half-Life only about four years ago.
I was just as amazed as you by the storyline and the overall atmosphere of the games.
Soon enough I became obsessed with the HL-universe; there was a time when I actually wanted to change my name to Gordon (I was quite stupid back then).
After a few years of intense Half-Life fandom I became bored - mostly thanks to the lack of information on Episode Three. But I'm still glad I discovered it.

I hope you enjoy playing as much as I did.

Better late than never! I like new players like this that also understand why Steam is such a great tool. It makes doing things like this much easier without the need to look for really old patches or fixing compatibility problems. You get a handful of old gits who feel like Steam is a barricade and refuse look for where its enhancing their experience.

Enjoy your play through with Episode 1 & 2 should you become further addicted :)

Oh and welcome to Halflife2.net. It's safer here.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been looking around on the forums, and this really looks like what I've been searching for. Definitely looking forward to posting as I play through HL 1 & 2. Regarding Steam...I understand why people might not like it because of the lack of physical media and all that but for me its an easy way to play old games without hassle. This is especially true now that they've released it for Mac. To each his own I guess.

So does anime, but you don't hear me saying it aloud.

Family Guy is much better than... something you enjoy. There, I said it.

Family Guy isn't better than hairy men, apparently.

Family Guy is seriously the most overrated show in TV history. I have no idea how people can appreciate that shit, the jokes are extremely cheap and unoriginal.

Family Guy was good a long long time ago. Like, maybe the first season. Seth Macfarlane is a jackass.

I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever, but it's not THAT bad.

Poor new fella. Already his thread turning into a family guy hate thread. I suppose its better he gets used to it early on though.

I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever, but it's not THAT bad.

It is. I finally realized how it was so bad yet people thought it was good just recently. Something zany or quirky happens on the show and people repeat it to their friends "lol wut. Hey is that Family Guy?" "lol yeah, it was on just yesteday." But when you actually watch the show (hell, you can watch fans of the show do this) something stupid happens, you get kind of a cockeyed smirk, you look around/shake your head softly, you look blankly back at the TV. This will happen maybe a dozen times during an episode. You will never laugh. And then you'll tell your friends.

This current (and the previous) season of Family Guy is not funny anymore. I used to get some good laughs out of Family Guy, but not anymore. Like what the creators of South Park said in "Cartoon Wars", none of their jokes derive from the actual plot, but instead from complete randomness. Even when Family Guy was funny, I don't remember ever laughing at a joke relevant to the plot.

Family guy is basically an animated bar joke, and the show is shallow. They don't aim to do anything with any of their episodes, except for some cheap laughs.

Welp, I think the new guy came and went. Damn these arguments. We can't have anything. :(

This cannot be described as a case of not being able to posses a nice thing due to the fact that new members are incapable of not being terrible.

It is. I finally realized how it was so bad yet people thought it was good just recently. Something zany or quirky happens on the show and people repeat it to their friends "lol wut. Hey is that Family Guy?" "lol yeah, it was on just yesteday." But when you actually watch the show (hell, you can watch fans of the show do this) something stupid happens, you get kind of a cockeyed smirk, you look around/shake your head softly, you look blankly back at the TV. This will happen maybe a dozen times during an episode. You will never laugh. And then you'll tell your friends.

So you are saying that because people don't actually laugh out loud, the show must not be funny? I don't think I laughed once during Arrested Development. I still think its one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. Your logic is flawed.

Just because you don't find cheap jokes funny doesn't mean they aren't. People don't find dry humor funny either. Doesn't mean it isn't. My mom thought Office Space was stupid and not funny. Doesn't mean it wasn't brilliant and hilarious. My mom tells me these stories of when she is at work and they make some kind of running gag that plays through the whole office. I usually think they're lame. Doesn't mean its not funny though. Theres a little thing called subjectivity that makes everyone in this thread wrong, and you're all stupid for not realizing it.

Sure sure, but not laughing wasn't really my point. Family Guy is a half an hour of awkwardly staring at a screen watching the most inane and desperate gags, a tenth of which manage to be so out there that they trigger any sort of enjoyment.

And yeah, by the rule of subjectivity I declare it is my opinion that there are no such thing as opinions, and even if there were, those that are both positive and about recent Family Guy are possessed by morons.

...anyway, Neo, if you like online multiplayer games, Team Fortress II is tough to beat. I'll be online momentarily and if you find me, I'll show you around.

...anyway, Neo, if you like online multiplayer games, Team Fortress II is tough to beat. I'll be online momentarily and if you find me, I'll show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Fixed

Theres a little thing called subjectivity that makes everyone in this thread wrong
I get what you're saying, but uhhh
picture.php

Welp, I think the new guy came and went. Damn these arguments. We can't have anything. :(

You thought wrong. I am fairly busy in my professional life, but I do try to get in some gaming whenever I'm free. I think Family guy is very droll.

...anyway, Neo, if you like online multiplayer games, Team Fortress II is tough to beat. I'll be online momentarily and if you find me, I'll show you around.

I appreciate it. I'm still working on HL2 E2 (just made it past the part where the Vorts save the Alyx Vance), but as soon as I'm ready to start with TF2 I'll be sure to hit you up.

Sure sure, but not laughing wasn't really my point. Family Guy is a half an hour of awkwardly staring at a screen watching the most inane and desperate gags, a tenth of which manage to be so out there that they trigger any sort of enjoyment.

And yeah, by the rule of subjectivity I declare it is my opinion that there are no such thing as opinions, and even if there were, those that are both positive and about recent Family Guy are possessed by morons.
How would you know, you don't even watch it. A very strong opinion about thing you haven't the capability of forming an opinion about.

"Oh, no, it's the 90's black guys! Run 80's black guys! Run!"

Because like a frog in boiling water I watched it go from a funny show to Seth Macfarlane's self indulgent ironic shit fest and didn't realize until it was too late? And yeah, I randomly catch an episode every now and then and don't turn the TV off. Just awful.

Maybe the gags are just not your thing. Not every episode is going to be the best episode. Sometimes the show makes me split my side and almost die from laughing. Sometimes there are bad episodes.

Name a more funny television show. You can't. I won't agree. Most of the sit-coms and shit make me want to shoot myself in the ****ing head. And I'm not joking, I really want to die when I watch them. Yes they are sometimes funny, but depressing still.

I want some loony retarded shit. Big fan of Monty Python here. Not every episode was good either. I can accept that. Still a huge fan of it because I'll never forget some of the gags.

Watching the latest dramas like 24 and whatever else? All of that shit is so terribly done, over the top and unbelievable.

Really 24 isn't as bad as many of the others, but you know what I mean, I think.

I guess... ? The Colbert Report is far funnier than Family Guy, and if you don't agree then you be dumb.

If you like laughing about current events all day, sure. It's funny, but not that funny.

I never said it was that funny. But it's on every single day and manages to be pretty damn funny consistently, whether it's about current events or not (not really a good point though, virtually all comedies are [hell, all humor has pretty much always been] based on current events and issues nowadays, Family Let-me-give-you-heavyhanded-liberal-propaganda Guy being no exception). And that's far more than Family Guy can say.

Do you miss Misc that much?

I certainly don't.

It'd be hard to determine whether I miss it that much, but only because I don't know how much that is, but yes, Misc was a big loss.

If Misc was still around I'd have more reason to post on these forums, like, relevant, informative things.

Rather than having to leak it off-topically into other threads.

I guess... ? The Colbert Report is far funnier than Family Guy, and if you don't agree then you be dumb.
You're not sure if you understand or not?

The Colbert Report? It can be pretty damn funny, but Steve is so obnoxious. Pictures of himself on the wall says it all, but if not - last time I caught an episode he was lighting his farts on fire. Yes, this is such highbrow comedy (void of cheap gags). :rolleyes:

Back