Tips to slim down for folks with stalky body types?

Reaction score
So, I'm into my third week now in my plan to drop 30lbs. but it seems like I'm barely gaining any headway tbh. I've been walking/running 3 miles 5 times a week for 3 weeks now and although I do feel noticeably more energetic and lighter than I did before I started, the scale says differently.

I have a stalky body type 5'6 and slightly barrel chested. One that's better suited for weightlifting than cardio really, but the thing is, I want to be slimmer, not buffer. It feels like I'm gaining muscle mass more than losing weight and the fat around my arms and love handles seem to be shrinking. However, I prefer a slimmer and more tone physique rather than bulky. I've been cutting back portions when I eat and all but I'm still not losing much weight like I want. Does anyone around here who works out regularly have any ideas of what I might be doing wrong?

Until I get my new bike, I'll probably stay at 200lbs no matter how far I walk/run because it's the only cardio exercise that seems to work for me if I want to drop the pounds, but some suggestions until then would be nice.

I say keep up the running and only drink water.

'Stalky' body types? Well, you could try running after your victims instead of stalking them. That might burn some calories.

In all seriousness, probably just do a lot of cardio.

I thought he said do a lot of coke. I mean, that would work too.

^ROFL

'Stalky' body types? Well, you could try running after your victims instead of stalking them. That might burn some calories.

^ROFL

Ha ha, good ol' HL2.net humour.

I was going to make a stalker joke too, but seeing as Darkside beat me to it, what do you mean by stalky body type?

Peel away the layers like string cheese.

In this thread: "Help! I'm too muscly!"

I'd say eat fewer proteins and more carbs? I guess that means if you keep working out, your body will produce less muscle but still burn off the carbs, leaving you skinnier and leaner.
I basically live off carbs (just because of my lifestyle, I'm not really on a diet or trying to lose weight/lose muscle), so like pizzas and unhealthy cereal and sandwiches.

Also I'm not a personal trainer; everything I have just said could be bullshit.

it just means he's part plant silly.

Stop eating blind people. Goddamn triffids.

If you are running 5 times a week and not losing weight then that means your diet sucks. It's all simple math, you body needs about 2,000 calories to live on each day. Your walking / running probably takes up about 500 calories or so. So if you eat 2,500 calories on the day you work out and 2,000 calories on the days you don't your weight will stay the same. If you drop your calories below that you will lose weight.

I would recommend the daily plate, helped me lose 60 pounds at one point:

http://www.thedailyplate.com

It lets see see just how many calories you take in each day, you might be shocked at how high it can be.

It is possible (if you're keeping with a proper diet/exercise routine) that you're just a stocky person. If you're blood pressure is normal and you feel energetic and don't have fat hanging to your toes, who gives a ****?

Bear in mind, losing substantial weight the way you're describing can literally take upwards of a year. So stay dedicated. Cut out soft drinks, any meat except lean cuts, sugars/carbs (this is a big one in these days, most bread in grocery stores, for example, is loaded with horrible complex sugars and hydrogenated oil). Start eating nuts/vegetables/occasional fruit and lean meat + lots of fiber (real, whole grain bread is good for that).

Congrats on your workout regimen. I wish I managed to run that much.

Keep up the running. That's the most important part. Likewise, watch your food. One bad thing can screw you over for a while.

For weight loss you generally want to stay outside the high heartbeat range, weight loss is best achieved when your body is moving but not under large amounts of stress. Keep track of your food intake for a while and see what your daily calorie intake is, as well.

Also, anaerobic weight exercises can contribute greatly to weight loss. If you eat less and do more work you will lose weight at some point. Not to mention barrel chest with muscles is sexy.

If you are running 5 times a week and not losing weight then that means your diet sucks. It's all simple math, you body needs about 2,000 calories to live on each day. Your walking / running probably takes up about 500 calories or so. So if you eat 2,500 calories on the day you work out and 2,000 calories on the days you don't your weight will stay the same. If you drop your calories below that you will lose weight.

I would recommend the daily plate, helped me lose 60 pounds at one point:

http://www.thedailyplate.com

It lets see see just how many calories you take in each day, you might be shocked at how high it can be.
I drink nothing but water with maybe a couple cups of coffee, eat a chicken salad for lunch, and normal portions of whatever is for dinner that night on top of my exercise regimen. How the hell is that over 2000?

EDIT> Did I mention I spelled Stocky wrong? I didn't realize that last night. I blame it on the carbs though.

I heard carbs can weaken brain synapses or something and make you slow in the head. Thus why the cliche stereotypical jocks are always dumb due to hi-carb diets.

For weight loss you generally want to stay outside the high heartbeat range, weight loss is best achieved when your body is moving but not under large amounts of stress. Keep track of your food intake for a while and see what your daily calorie intake is, as well.

Also, anaerobic weight exercises can contribute greatly to weight loss. If you eat less and do more work you will lose weight at some point. Not to mention barrel chest with muscles is sexy.

Burning fat has nothing to do with heart rate really... the issue is that high intensity workouts exhaust you and most people don't have the force of will to continue. But like you said anaerobic exercises are the best way to lose fat.

Basically what you're looking at is gaining muscle. As you gain muscle, regardless of the location, your metabolism increases and your body burns calories more effectively and efficiently. Eating foods with higher protein and fiber will contribute to the process of burning fat. It's pretty simple really. Exercise, you will gain muscle if what you're doing is difficult. Eat good food, if it's full of saturated fat, sugar, or carbohydrates, it's a bad thing to eat. Unless you're some kind of mutant, it will work and is fully sustainable.

Burning fat has nothing to do with heart rate really... the issue is that high intensity workouts exhaust you and most people don't have the force of will to continue. But like you said anaerobic exercises are the best way to lose fat.

Basically what you're looking at is gaining muscle. As you gain muscle, regardless of the location, your metabolism increases and your body burns calories more effectively and efficiently. Eating foods with higher protein and fiber will contribute to the process of burning fat. It's pretty simple really. Exercise, you will gain muscle if what you're doing is difficult. Eat good food, if it's full of saturated fat, sugar, or carbohydrates, it's a bad thing to eat. Unless you're some kind of mutant, it will work and is fully sustainable.

It is possible (if you're keeping with a proper diet/exercise routine) that you're just a stocky person. If you're blood pressure is normal and you feel energetic and don't have fat hanging to your toes, who gives a ****?

Bear in mind, losing substantial weight the way you're describing can literally take upwards of a year. So stay dedicated. Cut out soft drinks, any meat except lean cuts, sugars/carbs (this is a big one in these days, most bread in grocery stores, for example, is loaded with horrible complex sugars and hydrogenated oil). Start eating nuts/vegetables/occasional fruit and lean meat + lots of fiber (real, whole grain bread is good for that).
These are great tips thanks! Maybe I'm just being too impatient. Even the guy in thinner didn't lose 30lbs. in three weeks. LOL

In this thread: "Help! I'm too muscly!"

I'd say eat fewer proteins and more carbs? I guess that means if you keep working out, your body will produce less muscle but still burn off the carbs, leaving you skinnier and leaner.
I basically live off carbs (just because of my lifestyle, I'm not really on a diet or trying to lose weight/lose muscle), so like pizzas and unhealthy cereal and sandwiches.

Also I'm not a personal trainer; everything I have just said could be bullshit.
This was my theory too. Many of the things I've been eating have been high in protein, so when I work out, I've actually been building muscle rather than burning fat. There are also a few big hills on the route I take too that's about 1/4 miles uphill, and I take the uphill route. Anyways, I'm on the middle with the whole, "carbs are bad" thing though. without carbs, wouldn't one likely feel less refreshed after a workout and more run down and tired? That what carbs are for after all.

EDIT> I've just got back not long ago from a 3.5 mile run. I've increased distance by around 1/2 mile starting today.

I gave up on my workout regimen. I gave up on everything.

Just remember, motivation doesn't last forever. Just be ready to face it when it comes to work the complete opposite on you.

Though it could just be a severe depression thing and you may not suffer from it.

I know how you feel man. I've been working out/running for the past 2 1/2 months. However, I have noticed that I am getting slimmer. When you run, try running full bore for as long as you can, to get your heart rate up, then walk for 2-5 min, then run as hard as you can again. Thats the best way to lose weight, in my experience. That and doing things like P90X, where you are doing mostly body weight workouts, but keeping your heart rate up for extended periods of time.

As for diet, cut out most sugary foods(soda, candy bars, donuts, etc) and put very little, if any, salt on your foods. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables. When you do eat meat, only eat chicken and fish. It takes time to see results, trust me. But the mix between eating healthy and lots of exercise will definitely pay off. As bad as this sounds, try asking people if they notice, preferably people you dont see often. I know I feel like I've accomplished something when I see someone I havent seen in a few weeks/months and they compliment me on how I look weight wise.

Also, don't be worried about what the scale says. I work out and run 3-4 times a week and I haven't lost a pound. But I look and feel tons better than I did 4 months ago.

Also, don't be worried about what the scale says. I work out and run 3-4 times a week and I haven't lost a pound. But I look and feel tons better than I did 4 months ago.

I'm the same, I've been 85 kg for over 3 years now but in that time I've gone from having a gut to almost none now. The key is to not change things too fast. You have to have the mind set that the changes you make now are going to stick for years not just until you lose 30 pounds. So if you're not losing weight making your servings slightly smaller, not so much that you miss them but enough that your taking in less energy then work out a little more at the same time. If you keep this up then you cant possible not lose weight. Also don't drink beer every night I think thats where I got all my fat from.

I'm the same, I've been 85 kg for over 3 years now but in that time I've gone from having a gut to almost none now. The key is to not change things too fast. You have to have the mind set that the changes you make now are going to stick for years not just until you lose 30 pounds. So if you're not losing weight making your servings slightly smaller, not so much that you miss them but enough that your taking in less energy then work out a little more at the same time. If you keep this up then you cant possible not lose weight. Also don't drink beer every night I think thats where I got all my fat from.

Yeah if you're doing things right, you may not lose any weight at all for weeks or months depending on your body type. Starting out you get a lot of muscle and burn a lot of fat so you might even gain weight thanks to density. Ultimately you'll plateau a little on muscle gain (unless you're a crazy body builder) and you'll keep burning fat and tone up/cut weight... eventually unless you switch up workouts regularly like you're supposed to, you'll just be maintaining muscle and fat levels. Really it all works about how you imagine.

Kill someone with the body you want and then wear them like a suit.

I drink nothing but water with maybe a couple cups of coffee, eat a chicken salad for lunch, and normal portions of whatever is for dinner that night on top of my exercise regimen. How the hell is that over 2000?

Do you add dressing to your chicken salad? Normal poritons can mean alot of different things. And all these things add up very qickly. Do you drink any alcohol?

I'm telling you, try to accurately and honestly count your calories for a few days. It's not that hard to do and you will be surprised.

If you are taking in less calories than your body needs each day you will lose weight, its a matter of basic physics. Also, if you are fairly skinny or if your daily routine involves sitting 90% of the time the 2,000 calories limit might be a bit lower for you. The daily plate will let you calculate all that as well. Again, I highly recommend giving it a try.

I can only speak from personal experiance which might not apply to all. But for me any time I start a workout/diet program the weight drops like a stone the first few weeks assuming I follow my diet and work out routine properly. It isn't until a couple of months in that I start to plateau and even then I think that has more to do with me starting to slack than it has to do with anything about how my body is acting. If you aren't losing weight in the first few weeks of your diet/excercise routine I think there is something wrong with your process (likely diet).

If you want to lose weight fast cut out the following: - All dairy, All cereals (including Pasta), All Caffeine, Chocolate & sugar.

Food wise: - basically stick to fruits and nuts (though not salted) and steamed vegetables/fish. Cook all meat using a grill. Add a bit of flavour using herbs, sea salt (though not much) and a small amount of the drippings from the grill. Lemon juice is pretty handy as well.

Drinkwise: - Water, lots of it regularly. The key point of water is to hydrate your system and help your body flush out toxins. Adding anything to water effectively turns a drink into food (because your stomach starts to digest things)which defeats the purpose of it.

Coming off Caffeine is no joke and it will take a good few days get past that. I recommend not being around people much when you are going through withdrawal as you will be one ratty Mofo.

Fruitwise favour things like Pears, Apples, Grapes, Melon, Kiwi fruit etc over Bananas

Initially undertaking a diet like that everything will taste pretty bland, but that's principally because your taste buds are used to the over sweetened over salted foods we tend to eat, however after a while your taste buds will adapt and you'll enjoy salt free food.

Are nuts really that good for losing weight? I hear this often. They seem to be very high calorie and have a large amount of fat content. I heard they are good when you are trying to bulk up and combine it with lots of weight lifting and other exercise. But for losing weight I dont see why they would be good since you are taking in alot of calories in a very small amount of servings.

Are nuts really that good for losing weight? I hear this often. They seem to be very high calorie and have a large amount of fat content. I heard they are good when you are trying to bulk up and combine it with lots of weight lifting and other exercise. But for losing weight I dont see why they would be good since you are taking in alot of calories in a very small amount of servings.

It'd all be about satiety. Obviously eating too many nuts would make you put on pounds, but eating nuts regularly would keep your body better satisfied and with sufficient fats and other nutrients that they provide.

What kind of nuts do you guys eat? Im always open to trying something new. Also, anyone that takes this question the wrong way needs to get their head out of the gutter, you sick bastards!

1: Try not to be fat

2: Eat Less

3: Poop More

Back